75dust440

75dust340
Reaction score
I have a 75' Duster
340- 11to 1, comp cam 292/501 [email protected]
28" tire
4.10 gears
727 rev. manual valvebody (TCI)

Street/Strip car once and while to the strip and short trips in town.

ACC Performance says- 3200-3600 stall
TCI says- 2800-3000 stall

I saw an ACC performance one that is 2800-3200 I thought was perfect.
Any help on this appreciated.

I'd stick with the 2800-3000 stall especially since you do more street driving with the car.

Agreed. The lower stall is better for around town. The higher stall will be very good for strip launching.

I like the Dynamic convertors, be ready to spend some money for a good convertor. It will pay off in the end! Call the mfg. for their reccomendation. Like the old saying goes, do you want a cheap doctor or lawyer? Don't let price make the choice for you.

I wouldnt buy and off the shelf convertor with all the other choices out there,Ive had issues with tcis and b&ms stuff,not stalling correctly,out of balance issues ect.Theres an outfit on e-bay called redneck convertors who has a iron clad warranty and is very reasonably priced-I havent used there stuff personally but Ive heard alot of good things from others.Theres alot of other places as well that will set them up for your application-theres alot of guys running the big name/off the shelf convertors and not having issues but Ive always liked having one built for my set up.

i had a mopar performance converter.....

pulled it out and pur a dynamic in built to my specs..

stock 360 and 3.23's and 3800 stall converter...

around town its verry effecient

stomp on it and you'll see what you paid for...

it lowered my 60' times from 1.86 to 1.74
it raised my MPG from 14 to 16
and it lowered my cruising speed 400 rpm..

the hi stall thing os not necessarily true with the 9.5" dynamic... its super efficient unitll you flash it.. then look out..

12.56 in the quarter with 3.23's.... and i went cheap at first... then wound up buying a real converter... pay it now or pay it later...

LOL @ DJV, how true it is. I have often recomended Dynamic. This area, I'm not to great in at all. I'm a 4spd guy. So my automatic needs are pro done.

i never understood what a difference it was untill i actually got one...

the car acts night and day - from the old mopar converter...

Thanks guys for the info. Your right, you get what you pay for. I'll give you a status report down the road here. guess its time to change my name to 75dust340 seeing how I switched gears on my build. Thanks again.

DVJ is right on. I have a PTC 3500 convertor which was a bit expensive but the performance is awesome. Around town it's docile, but mat the pedal and it flashes to 3500 and your gone. If there is one thing to spend your money on in the drivetrain, a good convertor is it.

anyone got a link to that dynamic? What would you expect to pay for a the right converter from a place like that?

I love my dynamic, paid 600$ for a 3800 stall with my 4:30 gears.

Frank & Shawn are both great guys. May have been the best service I have ever gotten from a company that I was purchasing parts from.

Dynamic is the ONLY company I'd consider! My old car was a '66 Valiant w/ '69 340 running 10.8:1 and the MP 282 (.484/.484 lift) hydraulic.

The first tranny (came with the car) blew. Tried a B&M tranny with MP converter....SUCKED (and eventually quit pulling 1 month out of warrenty!). Had a buddy at a big tranny shop in Denver, CO custom build me another 727 at part's cost, so I broke down and spent the money on a GOOD converter. At first I was hesitant to go with Frank's suggestion of 9.5" 3,500 stall since I was running 3.23 gears. Roughly $600 later, I plopped it into the new tranny and away I went!

Frank had told me that it would "flash stall" upto 3500 rpms on a hard launch, but that it would start engaging at lower rpms on the street (ie. when the pedal isn't flat to the floor)....sure enough, he was right! It would start to engage around 2,400 rpms under normal street use. This also helped keep the tranny temp low.

In short...if you can't afford a converter from Dynamic at this time, park your car a few months, save your cash, and wait until you can buy one! I can't stress enough how much I'd recommend Dynamic!

had a guy offer me a 2800 converter,how can you tell what it is. besides taking his word for it

I would say try to get the company and part number first. Try to look it up. Then the only thing I can think of is measure the overall diameter of the torque converter. The smaller the measurement the higher the stall. But if he is not a flim flam then he would know better than that anyone since he might have bought it new.

i had a mopar performance converter.....

pulled it out and pur a dynamic in built to my specs..

stock 360 and 3.23's and 3800 stall converter...

around town its verry effecient

stomp on it and you'll see what you paid for...

it lowered my 60' times from 1.86 to 1.74
it raised my MPG from 14 to 16
and it lowered my cruising speed 400 rpm..

the hi stall thing os not necessarily true with the 9.5" dynamic... its super efficient unitll you flash it.. then look out..

12.56 in the quarter with 3.23's.... and i went cheap at first... then wound up buying a real converter... pay it now or pay it later...

I hope you guys are right. I just ordered a dynamic converter for my 408. $699.00.

From what I have heard and read, you'll be happy. Let us know!

i am running the acc 3800 to 4200 stall and it lanches..it may be a little 500 rpms to high for a street daily driver.i drive my car every day on the street and freeway and it stays cool. ne wayz this stall has been very good to me..not so my tires.. if i was to get another stall it would be between 3000 and 3500 no lower for a street strip car...abodyhotrod 360 swinger

Wow! You guys really love those convertors.
I need to get something for my 340 soon so I am going to watch this one.

This is a very HOT topic on this site!
Mostly everyone pushes Dynamic. I called and they wanted to sell me a 10", 3500 stall converter for $750. That stall was out of my range, it's not a race car but a street car. I've had the Performance Editor from Mopar Muscle, Andrews, and TCI recommend an 11" 2600-2800 stall for me (stock for 340 & 383).
There are good and bad with all converters, like anything in life. I just ordered mine from Mancini yesterday, it's their 2500-3000 stall. They have Dynamic converters. THey have an 11" for around $400.
I know 2 guys who race with TCI and have know problems. One Guy's dad has a TCi in his 440 GTX and Chevell...No problems.

This is a very HOT topic on this site!
Mostly everyone pushes Dynamic. I called and they wanted to sell me a 10", 3500 stall converter for $750. That stall was out of my range, it's not a race car but a street car. I've had the Performance Editor from Mopar Muscle, Andrews, and TCI recommend an 11" 2600-2800 stall for me (stock for 340 & 383).
There are good and bad with all converters, like anything in life. I just ordered mine from Mancini yesterday, it's their 2500-3000 stall. They have Dynamic converters. THey have an 11" for around $400.
I know 2 guys who race with TCI and have know problems. One Guy's dad has a TCi in his 440 GTX and Chevell...No problems.

From my understanding and years of reading and such the Dynamic converter would give you 3500 full stall when you nail it and will be a streetable converter like 2500-3000 stall just crusing. Another words you would have both of two worlds instead of just stuck in one. Dynamic seems to always recommend to much stall for a application but after the converter is installed people always say that they are glad they went with Dynamic.

From my understanding and years of reading and such the Dynamic converter would give you 3500 full stall when you nail it and will be a streetable converter like 2500-3000 stall just crusing. Another words you would have both of two worlds instead of just stuck in one. Dynamic seems to always recommend to much stall for a application but after the converter is installed people always say that they are glad they went with Dynamic.

i have a dynamic convertor also... had a few friends that thought i was crazy spending $600 for it until they drove the car with it. the car had an ATI in it that was 3500 stahl. the dynamic in it now id a 3800. i thought sean at dynamic was nuts when he told me how high it was... but he explained how it worked and i gave it a shot... man it is awesome... i can't say i completly understand how it works but basically they say the 9 1/2" diameter gives it the high stahl and the fins inside have a bunch of positive pitch to them so it locks up fast on the street.....

it is definatley the best of both worlds. i get 3000 on the foot brake easy and definatley get more if i wanted but do need to and on the street it drives and cruises like a stock convertor. i couldn't believe it....

the biggest thing you need to do when buying a good convertor that is set up for your car no matter who you buy it from (dynamic,ptc or untimate) is be completely honest about your car... if you don't know the specs of it then you need to find out.... they asked me a ton of questions. they need this info to tweak the convertor to your car.

-
Back