Who is "THE" custom cam guy?

-

1968FormulaS340

Reaction score
Who is "THE" custom cam guy?

Im at the point where I need some real experienced advise for my cam selection. Im just about positive it will need to be a custom grind.

The basics:

4 Speed
3.91 gearing
X heads (ported and have supported consistent high 11s)
Compression is in the mid 11s

In a nut shell, my cam needs are......

• Must be a solid roller (Im replacing a solid roller and want to stay solid roller).
• Must at least pretend to get along with the stock 340 exhaust manifolds.
• Must at least pretend to get along with the stock 340 intake manifold.

In a perfect world it would also get along with the original 625 AVS (but here I am flexible).

Intended use...... Rumbling through town with the old lady and having the car sound like a mean, nasty, old bastard.

Once I get this figured out I can get the old Formula S back on the street.

Well a solid roller isnt going to help much when the rest is stock,like manifolds and intake.At least not as much as if you had headers and a good aftermarket intake,but each to thier own.

There used to be a guy at straightline performance.com but the websight is dead.No cluw where he is now. I think his name is Scott? but my memory aint too reliable sometimes..

There are a bunch of guys that cut custom cams from many manufacturers lobe catalogs.

Brian at IMM
Ryan Shady Dell
Mike Jones
Dwayne Porter
Scott brown was at straighline, he went somewhere else.

Pick someone and go with it.

I would NOT use any of the major cam manufactures unless you talk with someone in design, Billy Godbold at comp as an example, not the call center guys.

Stock exhaust manifolds need a wide lobe center to work well. I probably wouldn't run anything less than a 112 and likely closer to 114.

The guys at Oregon Cam Grinders are very good as well.

Im getting a custom cam from Brian for my stroker! It is one he used in another stroker that made 521hp 520tq!!!!

GREAT! Thanks for that. They are local, about 45 minutes from my house.

Man. I would love to go check them out. They just got done grinding five for a friend of mine and two were mine. They did a great job on regrinding my early Hemi cam and my slant cam. I traded my friend two Holley carbs and he paid to have my cams ground. lol They even repaired the slant cam's fuel pump lobe. Their work looks really good.

Im getting a custom cam from Brian for my stroker! It is one he used in another stroker that made 521hp 520tq!!!!

Oh, I don't need that much power. I already ran a 13.2 at 105 through the manifolds, with a questionable clutch, my roller lifters falling apart and on the E70-14 tires.

Just looking for a more optimized cam that will run about the same.

These are the basics of the cam I am replacing. (Crower)

Grind Lobe Center: 112
Advertised Duration: 290int / 294exh
Duration @ .050": 251int / 256exh
Gross Lift: .550int / .555exh

RPM Power Range: 3200 to 7200 / Redline 7800+

Since you're running mannyfolds, I don't think it'd hurt to open the LSA up even to 114 or 115.

Well a solid roller isnt going to help much when the rest is stock,like manifolds and intake.At least not as much as if you had headers and a good aftermarket intake,but each to thier own.

There used to be a guy at straightline performance.com but the websight is dead.No cluw where he is now. I think his name is Scott? but my memory aint too reliable sometimes..

Scott Brown is his name. He made a cam for my 273. He can be reached HERE.

For an engine with manifolds? If you say so I guess.

What about manifolds changes the cam criteria? Some engines like certain things with manifolds vs. headers but alot of engines just run better with tight lca and small split...manifolds or headers don't matter just less power. I've seen it both ways...

What about manifolds changes the cam criteria? Some engines like certain things with manifolds vs. headers but alot of engines just run better with tight lca and small split...manifolds or headers don't matter just less power. I've seen it both ways...

Just always been my understanding that an engine with manifolds responded better to a wide LSA. I wasn't arguing the point...Lord knows you got more brains in that area than I do.....I was merely asking the whys and wherefores.

If it's going to be full custom grind anyway, there's stuff that can be done to got a long way to alleviate the exh side manifold issue, which realy is just less scavenging. The F.A.S.T. guys have that down and the manifolds are only a minor inconvenience. The intake and carb aren't really that bad either, all things considered.

Brian at IMM ground my cam and it sounds mean and nasty with outstanding throttle response, great low end torque, and pulls hard up top. Rough idle is only down side but overall very happy with the cam. Always get comments on how good my car sounds.

Just always been my understanding that an engine with manifolds responded better to a wide LSA. I wasn't arguing the point...Lord knows you got more brains in that area than I do.....I was merely asking the whys and wherefores.

Understood. I wasn't trying to argue either. I was wondering if you have seen on certain engines they respond better with certain cam characteristics. I doubt I have more brains than you...I can't remember anything anymore!
I have to write everything down or I plain forget. Sucks.

But to dive into it a little more...without a tuned exhaust header, most engines I've seen run well typically have tight lca's and a split anywhere from 6° to as much as 18°. I only split the lobes alot if it's an engine that needs rpm....340's get it naturally so no need to split it huge IMO.
Another thing is engines with manifolds seem to like more ex. lift than an engine with a header.
This is from my experience only, and may be different than others so take it with a grain of salt!
Brian

-
Back