Who was purchasing new Yugo's?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
Any unashamed cheapskates out there not too proud to admit being a one-time Yugo owner?

From Wikipedia: "The Yugo entered the United States by means of Malcolm Bricklin, who wanted to introduce a simple, low-cost car to that market. In total, 141,651 cars were sold in the United States from 1985 to 1992, with the most American units sold in a year peaking at 48,812 in 1987. Sales in 1992 were only 1,412 cars."

Another Article:
http://www.slate.com/articles/life/transport/2010/01/was_the_yugo_really_the_worst_car_ever.html

There are always, ALWAYS people who will buy "anything." Pintos. Vegas. Bear in mind lots of this was before Al Gore invented the internet, but that did not stop people from buying stuff like Kia.

I drove my 80 pinto 4spd for 100,000 miles. One rear wheel bearing and a timing belt was the only repairs. That car got me to work and back for years and then I gave it to my son. I averaged 27 miles/gal and based on how well it ran I bought a 84 LTD wagon (downsized version), now that was a piece of crap!!! They made a movie with Bette Midler and Danny DeVito, all the cars were Yugos. It's a hoot to watch. They were actually Fiats licensed to a company in Yugoslavia.

These were basically Fiat 128s. I think what happened is that Fiat used the tooling until it was worn out, then sold it to the 'Slovs, who then used it to built Yugos

I had a Fiat 128 once, "when I was broke". I started to rebuilt it, and ended up selling the thing to someone else. Every single main and rod shell was worn tapered. This means the crank was machined that way........at the factory.

Did you hear about next years new Yugo? They come with a rear window defroster. That is so you can keep your hands warm while you are pushing it.

They were brand new worn out Fiats..And the POS Hyundais of the 80's were licensed Mitsubishis...now M/B is interested in Hyundai 4 cylinder motors for....? How things change.

I remember one Yugo got blown of the Mackinaw Bridge when the winds from hurricane Hugo reached Michigan. The cross winds blew it off the bridge and into the water and the driver didn't make it out. Poor guy...

A bigger car would have saved his life...

In the late 80's - mid 90's, there were tons of Yugo's in the junkyards. The odometers were usually in the 30,000 - 40,000 mile range. Wonder why you don't see them anymore. #-o

And as with everything in life, including discarded TV Guide, there's a "art movement" with old Yugos..........

https://www.google.com/search?q=yug...w-LKAhVBC2MKHeo-CWAQ_AUIBygB&biw=1138&bih=511

a .........giant..........Yugo..........toaster??

toast2.jpg

YUGO_NEXT_TOASTER_SVA_STUDENT_Piera_Digiulo.jpg

a diner?

y_diner.jpg

And as with everything in life, including discarded TV Guide, there's a "art movement" with old Yugos..........

a .........giant..........Yugo..........toaster??

That's because if they made the toasters out of Pintos, the toast would catch on fire.... :angryfir:

And I think the same basic car was converted to 4 wheel drive and sold as the "Fiat Panda". They seem to still be a popular car in some parts of Europe.
Fiat%20Panda%201980%20(1).jpg

I drove my 80 pinto 4spd for 100,000 miles. One rear wheel bearing and a timing belt was the only repairs. That car got me to work and back for years and then I gave it to my son. I averaged 27 miles/gal and based on how well it ran I bought a 84 LTD wagon (downsized version), now that was a piece of crap!!! They made a movie with Bette Midler and Danny DeVito, all the cars were Yugos. It's a hoot to watch. They were actually Fiats licensed to a company in Yugoslavia.

I had a Pinto. Fun little car, and quite dependable.
Yugo on the other hand.... A guy from work bought one new, '87 I think. Not sure if he even got a year out of it when the engine died. The proposed fix was to replace the engine at almost what he paid for the car. Pretty sure he got rid of it then.

-
Back