Why is it so hard?????

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Someone explain to me, why is it so hard for me to admit that I am old and woreout, I need NO more projects, I have enough old Mopars (too many), I need to STOP looking at Marketplace for "for sale projects"!!!????? The guy took it all apart, a turd to begin with, NO title, he admits he lost half the parts, engine sits outside with no carb even, and funky repaint in sorta of a guy pink!!!!!
But...... looks like the economy might be starting to kicking some butt and I see a few projects that show PROMISE!!!!!!!

:rofl::BangHead:

I am the same way . I was recently looking at early 50s trucks , Chevy 3100. My grandfather had one and I am recently interested again. I showed the wife one I found for 5 grand, it is a basket case would need the whole works, engine gone into, body off frame resto,...its a tow home deal also doesn't run. I showed the wife and she said "it will cost you thousands to get it done..." I said "yeah" then I found a 54 International R 100 that runs for $7500 that's may be a better deal for $2500 more just because I can drive it while working on it. But, eh we do it because in our minds we are still in our 30s. I can spend a day in my garage, but I feel it that night either achy back, or achy feet LOL! its worth it though if it gets you off the couch. Don't think of it as trying to finish anything just think of it as something you enjoy even if you are older and slower...sometimes just having a garage to spend time in is priceless.

I look EVERYDAY and think, hey that may work for me. I am done wrenching as to many parts are broken down on my body, and yet my mind doesn't stop thinking, maybe one more. I just sold a '73 RR that I bought thinking, I can replace that interior, I couldn't. Dumped it and lost almost a grand. Don't have the answer how to turn it off. The thrill of the chase has a lot to do with it. "I know I can do something with it that guy couldn't " Yeah sure.

It isn't as cheap or easy these days.Sometimes you are better off walking away and waiting for "the right one" I think I am done with tow home basket cases for sure. I believe alot of us got into this as young men just trying to get a car running on the cheap. It used to be the way, maybe it still is.

We were fishing not to long ago and my buddy said you know "it's hard to find guys our age that do anything"
and he was right..i know a lot of guys my age with no interests or ambition and their health just goes downhill faster.
I am wondering if i'll last long enough to see my current project through...but don't care as it is keeping me entertained and busy!
If you don't "keep on ...keeping on" your done!

Last edited:
IF a person gets down to crawl under is project and has to call the wife to pull him back up on to his feet, then maybe just because my mind says I am a young 40, my body says "hey fool you are almost 75!"
I had 5 and down to 3. IF the guy shows up end of month with the other $1000 for the 49 Dodge. When someone can not come up with $1500 total price, I have my doubts. I tell myself, get down to 2 cars that are mostly done!
I know fool well, IF I buy another old Mopar (or AMC) to get get a decent driver and piddle with it!! I don't need any more basket cases!!! But, I just say a .............!
I don't want to always catch the mouse, maybe just chase it!!???? :poke:

We were fishing not to long ago and my buddy said you know "it's hard to find guys our age that do anything"
and he was right..i known a lot of guys my age with no interests or ambition and their health just goes downhill faster.
I am wondering if i'll last long enough to see my current project through...but don't care as it is keeping entertained and busy!
If you don't "keep on ...keeping on" your done!

That’s why you we have to keep going and do what you can.

A soft spot on the sofa is a quick step away from the coffin.

And continue to learn. Learn something every day. No matter what it is. When you stop learning you use your mind.

IF a person gets down to crawl under is project and has to call the wife to pull him back up on to his feet, then maybe just because my mind says I am a young 40, my body says "hey fool you are almost 75!"
I had 5 and down to 3. IF the guy shows up end of month with the other $1000 for the 49 Dodge. When someone can not come up with $1500 total price, I have my doubts. I tell myself, get down to 2 cars that are mostly done!
I know fool well, IF I buy another old Mopar (or AMC) to get get a decent driver and piddle with it!! I don't need any more basket cases!!! But, I just say a .............!
I don't want to always catch the mouse, maybe just chase it!!???? :poke:

LOL…you can’t beat yourself up to get things done (BTDT) but you need to keep going.

LOL…you can’t beat yourself up to get things done (BTDT) but you need to keep going.
I agree. Stop moving at older age, and you will rust shut and never move again!! I also have always said stop dreaming and you start dying, but that is true at any age.

I have noticed the prices of some projects and a few decent cars have seemed to have come down toward reality somewhat. OK just a few.

My old mother died age about age 95. At her funeral, some old family friends mentioned there just was not that many attending her funeral back in our small home town, all her friends were already long dead! All relatives were either dead and any my age were 2 states away.
I'm 74 and I admit 95% of my friends died in their 50s and a few made it to early 60s. I thank the good Lord for another day every night and still having the health and ability I do have.

My pharmasist said other day I should get a knee replacement like him. I said "like Hell!!! go count some pills".

For me it's really simple. I have the two cars I really want. Anything else is already way out of my price range, even the two we have would be out of our price range if we didn't already have them. I do have a little room, but zero desire for what I would consider a "lesser" project. I already have friends with more cars than they will ever get to...

It’s nice being 66 and having flex hours. Start when you want to, work till 12 pm
Or after when you want to. Some days a power nap other days one is not needed. I have finally started selling a few things I will never use. Sold my third race car, all of my 727 stuff, some stuff from my attic and basement I haven’t touched in years and 1300.00 worth of stuff is getting picked up tomorrow. My only gotta do is I gotta hit the gym this winter to drop a few pounds, work on flexibility, and endurance. Life is good.

^^^^^ I also need to sell off some parts, but Tx. ain't Pa.!!! I hate shipping and other day I get a certified bank check (real) for $250 for parts, cashed it, and few days later the asshole stopped payment with NO excuse.

I did sell my 64 Savoy project and got $10,000 which was fair. Down to 3 cars, 1 more to sell.

Yeah, I know what you are saying. I still look often. And still seems to be some good car's out there. It's just the price for all the parts have gone way up. Oh well back to looking.

As we move toward recession, higher interest rates, more unemployment, I see the overpriced projects come down. There will still be plenty of dreamers and idiots out there in CL/FB marketplace land until reality sets in. In just the last couple weeks I have seen couple of decent projects, but as usual 2 -3 state away. Location still rules. They sold fast. Were those under priced?? or the other stuff just over priced!??

I still love the chase to find a decent car the work to get it back to life, but I have always refused to be upside down as these old cars have always found new homes. And, the older I get, the harder to deal with idiot buyers. But it gets close to impossible with price of a project and cost of parts/materials.

Time for me to settle down to a couple of pretty much done drivers!! Its hard to do!! BUt I can't just sit on my *** all day and do nothing. Too old to climb on a colt anymore for sure.

What I am doing...........at 74...........This is not a chrome plated show rig, just a truck that will run........

For those guys that think hitting the gym will help them lose a few pounds...it won't work.
If you're active, work hard or exercise you will get stronger and healthier but you probably
won't lose any weight.

When incorporated with a diet you can tone and lose weight. Flexibility and endurance would be my main goal.

Someone explain to me, why is it so hard for me to admit that I am old and woreout, I need NO more projects, I have enough old Mopars (too many), I need to STOP looking at Marketplace for "for sale projects"!!!????? The guy took it all apart, a turd to begin with, NO title, he admits he lost half the parts, engine sits outside with no carb even, and funky repaint in sorta of a guy pink!!!!!
But...... looks like the economy might be starting to kicking some butt and I see a few projects that show PROMISE!!!!!!!

:rofl::BangHead:
Tom Petty sang," You never slow down, you never grow old!" I believe that to be true. I for one am not going to stop building and dreaming of more cars.

I'm down to 2, plus our 2 daily drivers, but I still look almost every day. I sold off some parts in the last few months, about $1700.00 worth, still have a fair amount of things I'd like to get rid of, but shipping from Canada is horribly expensive for most things. I agree that keeping active is important, I don't do much during the winter months, no heat in the garage, but when something needs to be done, I get it done as quickly as possible. My job keeps me very physically active, I've lost about 15 pounds in the last 2 months, but at 59 I'm finding the strain on my body is making it harder to continue doing the physically demanding work of my job, and working on project cars.

I quit looking at projects. I became disabled, and am 65. I still have 4 classic cars. They all need work, except my Dart. I have a nice garage, and plenty of tools, so it's the best possible situation, unless someone did the work for me. Full projects are just too much for me. I can handle smaller projects, but at half speed. Then I need to rest up for a day. The other thing is parts are so expensive now, that someone would be better off buying a mostly done car.

-
Back