Why is this happening?!!Please help.

-

wheelz 63 dart gt

Reaction score
I run a hose from the fuel pump to a gas can and the slant 6 runs great. I hook up the fuel line to my tank and the dart starves when i drive down the street and up a small hill. It runs out and dies like im out of gas. Ive put in like 4 or 5 gallons, and the new sending unit i put in reads just under a quarter tank. I dont think my tank is pressurized properly. Fuel Sloshes around so bad just moving the car. Are there no baffles in these 63 tanks. Why is she starving for fuel. What can I do besides fill the tank up all the way. I should be able to dive on hills with a quarter tank of gas.:banghead:

there maybe a pinhole in the line sucking air or the pick up tube in the tank is blocked

I would check the old rubber lines, if you have not replaced them. They are prone to collapse on the inside. Your tank does not need to be pressurized, but it DOES need to be vented. Try running the car with the gas cap on loosely and see if that makes a difference.

Also be sure all of your connections are tight so the pump isn't sucking air. It may help to blow out the hard line with some compressed air, unhook it on both ends and force air through from the engine compartment to the back.

I run a hose from the fuel pump to a gas can and the slant 6 runs great. I hook up the fuel line to my tank and the dart starves when i drive down the street and up a small hill. It runs out and dies like im out of gas. Ive put in like 4 or 5 gallons, and the new sending unit i put in reads just under a quarter tank. I dont think my tank is pressurized properly. Fuel Sloshes around so bad just moving the car. Are there no baffles in these 63 tanks. Why is she starving for fuel. What can I do besides fill the tank up all the way. I should be able to dive on hills with a quarter tank of gas.:banghead:

I'd bet that SOMEWHERE in the supply line between your fuel pump inlet and your tank, there is a vauum leak (maybe just a tiny one) in that line or one of the fittings. Check it out CLOSELY; the symptoms you describe could be the result of a cracked hose or a fitting that isn't tight. Doesn't take much... a pinhole in a metal line (rust?) can cause these symptoms.

A kink or other obstruction can, too...

Let us know what you find.

The fuel sock might look in the tank like this....

pickup-1.jpg

I pulled a sock out that was so rusted that soaking it in CLR didnt do squat and when I pushed air through it it blew up like a balloon and popped with a cloud of rust. That sucka was plugged! On a whim, I applied compressed air to my fuel line and it inadvertantly popped out a dent in my gas tank! I dont know where the vent is but I think its tiny. All new hard fuel line wont put you back 20 bucks.

Take a look at the "Has anybody ever seen this" thread,...problem may be immediatly before the fuel pump,....

AND READ your shop manual. In addition to the excellent commentary above, it could STILL BE the pump. There's a procedure in the manual by which you attach a vacuum gauge to the pump inlet. I believe a typical figure is that the inlet side of the pump should be able to pull in excess of 12" of vacuum.

If not already mentioned, check or replace old hoses, IE the one between the supply tube and the pump, and the hose between the sender and the supply tube.

I would check the old rubber lines, if you have not replaced them. They are prone to collapse on the inside. Your tank does not need to be pressurized, but it DOES need to be vented. Try running the car with the gas cap on loosely and see if that makes a difference.

Also be sure all of your connections are tight so the pump isn't sucking air. It may help to blow out the hard line with some compressed air, unhook it on both ends and force air through from the engine compartment to the back.
What about the baffles in the tank? The fuel sounds like its all sloshing to the rear and thats why the sending unit cant pick it up.

AND READ your shop manual. In addition to the excellent commentary above, it could STILL BE the pump. There's a procedure in the manual by which you attach a vacuum gauge to the pump inlet. I believe a typical figure is that the inlet side of the pump should be able to pull in excess of 12" of vacuum.

If not already mentioned, check or replace old hoses, IE the one between the supply tube and the pump, and the hose between the sender and the supply tube.
Pump is good. When I run a hose into a fuel can the car runs great.

THAT DOES NOT PROVE the pump is OK. It could have enough pumping action to pull gas from a can, but not from the tank. THAT IS WHY you run a vacuum gauge test on the pump.

THAT DOES NOT PROVE the pump is OK. It could have enough pumping action to pull gas from a can, but not from the tank. THAT IS WHY you run a vacuum gauge test on the pump.
Ill check for leaks and test the pump. Im putting the dart on ramps now. Thanks.

If the gas can was sitting on the fender or above the motor the pump would only have to pump down to itself and that is easier than pumping up hill from 10' away out of the tank.Also make sure there is no inline filter.Sounds like you need to replace all the lines if the pump is good,not much else to the system.

no baffles. i run a little electric pump and regulator, along with my stock pump, with two inline filters before the electric pump and between the stock pump and the carb, just to avoid any issues. my fuel system goes; tank-fuel line-filter-electric pump-regulator-fuel line-stock pump-filter-pressure gauge-carb. it runs at 5 psi consistantly all day long.i do this in the event my stock pump fails or get weak.

Will it run ok just idling off the fuel in the tank? How about revved up a little while drawing from the tank? Being in neutral is a far cry from pulling a three thousand pound car up a hill. About the only thing you can prove with a can of gas is that it will run.

no baffles. i run a little electric pump and regulator, along with my stock pump, with two inline filters before the electric pump and between the stock pump and the carb, just to avoid any issues. my fuel system goes; tank-fuel line-filter-electric pump-regulator-fuel line-stock pump-filter-pressure gauge-carb. it runs at 5 psi consistantly all day long.i do this in the event my stock pump fails or get weak.
I like the way that set up sounds. Where did u get ur elec. pump and pressure gauge?

Ok, well I found a loose clamp where the old metal fuel line meets the short piece of rubber line just before the filter. I loosened the gas cap and shook the car and the dart made it up my drive way. Ive still got the poblem though. During that time a loud metal hitting metal sound came from the frnt of my motor. I thought my fan was hitting something over and over. It got louder as I revved, and the sound was internal. My stethescope told me it may be the impellor on the water pump hitting the internal shroud. I hope thats all it is. It sounded bad. I relaxed a little when I knew it was not too deep a tap- knock. At least I hope its not. Any ideas?

I doubt the hill had much to do with the problem since even a steep hill is a fairly small angle. Acceleration and the resulting sloshing might, but 1/4 tank should keep the sock covered. That is a problem in my Newport with TBI, but only when ~2 gal, and should be much less problem with a carburetor. There are no baffles in my factory 65 tank. I looked inside with sun shining in the other hole, looking for rust. There is a tank vent, at least in my 65 Dart it is a small tube off the fill tube that loops up in the trunk then down thru the floor seal. A common problem is that stuff like undercoating plugs the vent exit.

The rapping sound is probably on a belt-driven accessory like the alternator or water pump. Usually when a water pump bearing goes, you get a coolant leak. Do you have power steering? The bracket on my 69 slant cracked. I don't recall much sound, just noticed the pump moving around too much.

I like the way that set up sounds. Where did u get ur elec. pump and pressure gauge?
i got a carter 5-7 psi pump off craigslist for 40 bucks, never had fuel through it, and a holley fuel regulator for 20 from the same guy. i think 5-7 psi of fuel pressure may be a bit much for a 1 barrel carb, im not sure, but auto zone sells nice little electric pumps for around 35 bucks. new stock pumps are cheap, and to be honest, i have gotten bad ones right out of the box. you can always pull the line off the tank and the inlet off the pump and plug it, rig up some compressed air ,and pressurize the fuel line to find any pinholes and also to blow the line out, and go from there. you can also pressurize the tank itself to dislodge any obstructions going to the fuel pump.

-
Back