Why people don't buy craftsman anymore

-
I used to really like Craftsman tools, they weren't snap-ons but good hand tools then as mentioned sometime I think in the early 90s they started to go downhill and now they're just kind of okay for the price and I kind of expect them to break or wear out like most other Chinese tools they're just crap man now.

GTFO...really? Now I was not expecting that! Ill let you know ASAP when I split an impact socket using a breaker bar.
I split a taiwan impact socket with a breaker bar.

So I go to the local PROTO dealer looking for a 3/4-1/2 drive adapter and found one. The cashier says "read the side of the adapter before you take that". "That's the only tool PROTO makes that it will not warranty." It suited my purpose, I didn't have to drag 2 ratchets 50' up a ladder to the top of the plant :rofl:

12 point sockets.... WHY? Grab a thick 6 point or better yet an unplated black 6 point impact socket and put that 18" breaker bar to the test! Only time ill use a 12 point is on a 12 point nut. I have not used my 3/8 drive stuff in years. It's all 1/2 drive with its sockets down to 3/8 and up to 1 3/8 (or 28mm). I have a no name 1/2 ratchet that is nice: beefy, nice contoured grip, polished finish. Has never let me down even with a 3 foot piece of pipe on it to break a lug nut. I have a bucket of 3/8 drive sockets that is dusty now.
Simple. Because there are 12 point FASTENERS. Mopar example would be slant six and big block rear main seal retainer cap bolts.

I used to really like Craftsman tools, they weren't snap-ons but good hand tools then as mentioned sometime I think in the early 90s they started to go downhill and now they're just kind of okay for the price and I kind of expect them to break or wear out like most other Chinese tools they're just crap man now.
Funny you make that comparison, because way back when, Snap On made all of the hand tools for Craftsman. Our beloved auto shop instructor had some and you could clearly see that other than the name, they were in fact, 100% the same. These were from about the 1940s-1950s.

So I go to the local PROTO dealer looking for a 3/4-1/2 drive adapter and found one. The cashier says "read the side of the adapter before you take that". "That's the only tool PROTO makes that it will not warranty." It suited my purpose, I didn't have to drag 2 ratchets 50' up a ladder to the top of the plant :rofl:
Yes sir. Another story about our high school auto shop instructor. He was a retired Mercedes Benz mechanic. I say retired because he was retirement age when we first met him in 1980, although he had a ten bay shop in his back yard just out kitchen window. He did alot of the "I caint figure it out" for local dealerships. And yes, he really WAS that good.

The tool room at the auto shop had nothing but Proto tools.....and I mean everything you could possibly imagine. The room was probably 10'x30' and there wasn't a wall that wasn't slam covered. You name it, it was probably in there from standard hand tools to pullers and everything in between. What we didn't know was, sure nuff, in 1984, the year after graduation, he really did retire.

My high school best friend and I each received a phone call asking us to meet him at the shop for an all day event one morning. This was the year after we were out of school. We were both his favorite students he'd ever had as we were among the last breed it seemed that really wanted to pursue a living at it, plus, the school was actually closing to be torn down to make way for more of the Macon Medical Center. So his retirement also marked the sad end to all of the shop classes in Bibb County, whether it was auto shop, welding, whatever. As far as I know, they still have nothing to this day. There's not a day goes by that I am not thankful that part of my life happened. The experience, the camaraderie with like minded guys, the whole shop itself and of course, our wonderful shop instructor. He was the first to teach us the 6 cylinder firing order. "15, too young, 36 too old, 24 just right". How do you not love an old guy like that? He just left a lasting impression on my life, much like my own father. And funny coincidence, they were both WWII Navy veterans.

So on with my story. Kirk and I met Mr Lovett, as requested on a Saturday morning about 8am. He had bought breakfast and doughnuts. When we got done, he told us that we were two "men" that he trusted and that he wanted us to help him pack up all of the tools in the tool room, that he was taking them home. It was at that moment that it hit Kirk and I that this magnificent collection of totally badass 1940s Proto tools was his own personal property and that he was entrusting us to help him pack them up and help unload them at his house in Monroe County, north of Macon. It was a commercial set, with tool boards that the outline of each tool stenciled on the boards, with metal hooks to hang each tool from. Packing all of that up and taking those boards down was a bittersweet experience in that we had immense respect for this man who had given part of his life to try and make a difference in the lives of young people. Also, not to mention the feeling of what it must have taken to achieve such a collection of tools and equipment. There were several pieces of shop equipment we moved as well. His brake lathe, the Sun Computer alignment machine. The 1950s Sun Tune up machine he taught us how to charge up ignition condensers on and shock the **** out our fellow class mates. Ancient shop arbor press. Just all kinda cool OLD shop equipment. That part took until Sunday to finish, but somehow, we didn't mind. At the end of the day Sunday, when we were done, he thanked us both profusely and tried to pay us each $300, but we refused saying that it had been an honor just to know him and be able to help him with what we knew was such an emotional thing for him to do.

Since we lived in an adjacent county, that of course wasn't the last time we saw Mr Lovett. While we did ride out to see him some, We saw him around town here and there. The grocery store and whatnot. I think of those times fondly now and I wish this generation could have some of those special times, but I know somehow they never will. Most of them will probably never be interested anyway as back when we were going, the classes were small and not everyone was there for the same reasons as we were. Some just wanted two hours to dick off and be stupid, but it was serious business to probably six or seven of us and Mr. Lovett appreciated that, I believe. I still talk to and see Kirk from time to time and we talk about those days. Probably not as much as we should.

Here is the auto shop. That's Mr. Lovett (RIP) and me. I'm sure we were discussing Kirk's and my shop project, that forklift, and he's probably telling me a dirty joke. That's Kirk's famous "blue puffy coat" turned inside out with the orange lining showing sitting on that stool. There's someone standing at the tool room door to get a tool. I am guessing Kirk is in the tool room and probably had tool room duty that week. Just look at that shop. Talk about a high school gear head's dream come true. lol
JAMES LOVETT AUTO SHOP.jpg

Last edited:
Yes sir. Another story about our high school auto shop instructor. He was a retired Mercedes Benz mechanic. I say retired because he was retirement age when we first met him in 1980, although he had a ten bay shop in his back yard just out kitchen window. He did alot of the "I caint figure it out" for local dealerships. And yes, he really WAS that good.

The tool room at the auto shop had nothing but Proto tools.....and I mean everything you could possibly imagine. The room was probably 10'x30' and there wasn't a wall that wasn't slam covered. You name it, it was probably in there from standard hand tools to pullers and everything in between. What we didn't know was, sure nuff, in 1984, the year after graduation, he really did retire.

My high school best friend and I each received a phone call asking us to meet him at the shop for an all day event one morning. This was the year after we were out of school. We were both his favorite students he'd ever had as we were among the last breed it seemed that really wanted to pursue a living at it, plus, the school was actually closing to be torn down to make way for more of the Macon Medical Center. So his retirement also marked the sad end to all of the shop classes in Bibb County, whether it was auto shop, welding, whatever. As far as I know, they still have nothing to this day. There's not a day goes by that I am not thankful that part of my life happened. The experience, the camaraderie with like minded guys, the whole shop itself and of course, our wonderful shop instructor. He was the first to teach us the 6 cylinder firing order. "15, too young, 36 too old, 24 just right". How do you not love an old guy like that? He just left a lasting impression on my life, much like my own father. And funny coincidence, they were both WWII Navy veterans.

So on with my story. Kirk and met Mr Lovett, as requested on a Saturday morning about 8am. He had bought breakfast and doughnuts. When we got done, he told us that we were two "men" that he trusted and that he wanted us to help him pack up all of the tools in the tool room, that he was taking them home. It was at that moment that it hit Kirk and I that this magnificent collection of totally badass 1940s Proto tools was his own personal property and that he was entrust us to help him pack them up and help unload them at his house in Monroe County, north of Macon. It was a commercial set, with tool boards that the outline of each tool stenciled on the boards, with metal hooks to hang each tool from. Packing all of that up and taking those boards down was a bittersweet experience in that we had immense respect for this man who had given part of his life to try and make a difference in the lives of young people. Also, not to mention the feeling of what it must have taken to achieve such a collection of tools and equipment. There were several pieces of shop equipment we moved as well. His brake lathe, the Sun Computer alignment machine. The 1950s Sun Tune up machine he taught us how to charge up ignition condensers on and shock the **** out our fellow class mates. Ancient shop arbor press. Just all kinda cool OLD shop equipment. That part took until Sunday to finish, but somehow, we didn't mind. At the end of the day Sunday, when we were done, he thanked us both profusely and tried to pay us each $300, but we refused saying that it had been an honor just to know him and be able to help him with what we knew was such an emotional thing for him to do.

Since we lived in an adjacent county, that of course wasn't the last time we saw Mr Lovett. While we did ride out to see him some, We saw him around town here and there. The grocery store and whatnot. I think of those times fondly now and I wish this generation could have some of those special times, but I know somehow they never will. Most of them will probably never be interested anyway as back when we were going, the classes were small and not everyone was there for the same reasons as we were. Some just wanted two hours to dick off and be stupid, but it was serious business to probably six or seven of us and Mr. Lovett appreciated that, I believe. I still talk to and see Kirk from time to time and we talk about those days. Probably not as much as we should.

So on with my story. Kirk and met Mr Lovett, as requested on a Saturday morning about 8am. He had bought breakfast and doughnuts. When we got done, he told us that we were two "men" that he trusted and that he wanted us to help him pack up all of the tools in the tool room, that he was taking them home. It was at that moment that it hit Kirk and I that this magnificent collection of totally badass 1940s Proto tools was his own personal property and that he was entrust us to help him pack them up and help unload them at his house in Monroe County, north of Macon. It was a commercial set, with tool boards that the outline of each tool stenciled on the boards, with metal hooks to hang each tool from. Packing all of that up and taking those boards down was a bittersweet experience in that we had immense respect for this man who had given part of his life to try and make a difference in the lives of young people. Also, not to mention the feeling of what it must have taken to achieve such a collection of tools and equipment. There were several pieces of shop equipment we moved as well. His brake lathe, the Sun Computer alignment machine. The 1950s Sun Tune up machine he taught us how to charge up ignition condensers on and shock the **** out our fellow class mates. Ancient shop arbor press. Just all kinda cool OLD shop equipment. That part took until Sunday to finish, but somehow, we didn't mind. At the end of the day Sunday, when we were done, he thanked us both profusely and tried to pay us each $300, but we refused saying that it had been an honor just to know him and be able to help him with what we knew was such an emotional thing for him to do.

Here is the auto shop. That's Mr. Lovett (RIP) and me. I'm sure we were discussing Kirk's and my shop project, that forklift, and he's probably telling me a dirty joke. That's Kirk's famous "blue puffy coat" turned inside out with the orange lining showing sitting on that stool. There's someone standing at the tool room door to get a tool. I am guessing Kirk is in the tool room and probably had tool room duty that week. Just look at that shop. Talk about a high school gear head's dream come true. lol
View attachment 1715829369
And that's an awesome story thanks for that! Also I had no idea to snap on made Craftsman at one time but it kind of makes sense because they were a very high quality tool. Also I have some old proto tools and always appreciate the quality. s&k was also a very good tool I don't know if they're still around.my very best hand tools I inherited from my grandfather and they were from the 50s and the 60s mainly.

And that's an awesome story thanks for that! Also I had no idea to snap on made Craftsman at one time but it kind of makes sense because they were a very high quality tool. Also I have some old proto tools and always appreciate the quality. s&k was also a very good tool I don't know if they're still around.my very best hand tools I inherited from my grandfather and they were from the 50s and the 60s mainly.
Yup. S/K is still kickin. Our local S/K dealer (there was only one) was an older guy in a plain white one ton Dodge van with the extended *** end on it. That thing was slam stinkin full of tools, even hangin from the ceiling. If he ever had a wreck, he'd been covered up with tools. Probably wouldda took days to find him.

Damn, I got screwed.

Well, I played in a band..... lol. But, eh, we had " shop", NOTHING like RustyRatRods experience. More construction oriented. Hmm. And I'm a Carpenter.... yeah... I'm seeing a pattern here.. would have loved to have worked and learned in a place like that with a killer teacher like Mr Lovett. My shop teacher was Mr Keheer.. not sure if spellings correct

My 11th grade auto shop teacher was one of only three teachers in my life that actually understood me and the somewhat "different" way my mind works.

I can relate to a LOT of what RRR said although that school's vocational program continues to this day, even though the auto mechanics and auto body programs are both gone and nearly all of the buildings on campus have been replaced.

Tom Replogle was a Mopar guy as well, so I had someone who had my back among all the rest of the typical 70% gm and 25% ford guys in the class. He drove a green '70 Polara wagon with hidden headlights and a 383-2. I clearly remember a customer donating a 77 Coronet wagon (also green but without wood paneling), and this guy just going ape **** over how clean it was and eventually buying it from the school.

He's the guy that taught me to do Mopar cam bolt alignments by feel and then check them on the rack.
He would see me driving a customer's car in the parking lot, and bet the body shop teacher, or the vocational principal that it would be in spec before the machine got turned on. he won that bet a lot of the time, and chewed me out if he lost.

He's also the guy that taught me to precision tune the 66 poly 318 in my Coronet.
I had virtually zero money, so a 4 barrel and headers were completely out of the question, but after attention to things like timing, points, plugs, advance, fuel delivery, etc it ran ridiculously good.
I've said on here several times that car never lost a street race to a 350 powered gm product.

Although I chose not to pursue a career in the automotive field, what I learned is priceless, and the diagnostic process I developed transcends automotive and applies to almost anything including the IT field, where I eventually settled.

Cheers to you, "Mr. Replo", if you are still around.

My 11th grade auto shop teacher was one of only three teachers in my life that actually understood me and the somewhat "different" way my mind works.

I can relate to a LOT of what RRR said although that school's vocational program continues to this day, even though the auto mechanics and auto body programs are both gone and nearly all of the buildings on campus have been replaced.

Tom Replogle was a Mopar guy as well, so I had someone who had my back among all the rest of the typical 70% gm and 25% ford guys in the class. He drove a green '70 Polara wagon with hidden headlights and a 383-2. I clearly remember a customer donating a 77 Coronet wagon (also green but without wood paneling), and this guy just going ape **** over how clean it was and eventually buying it from the school.

He's the guy that taught me to do Mopar cam bolt alignments by feel and then check them on the rack.
He would see me driving a customer's car in the parking lot, and bet the body shop teacher, or the vocational principal that it would be in spec before the machine got turned on. he won that bet a lot of the time, and chewed me out if he lost.

He's also the guy that taught me to precision tune the 66 poly 318 in my Coronet.
I had virtually zero money, so a 4 barrel and headers were completely out of the question, but after attention to things like timing, points, plugs, advance, fuel delivery, etc it ran ridiculously good.
I've said on here several times that car never lost a street race to a 350 powered gm product.

Although I chose not to pursue a career in the automotive field, what I learned is priceless, and the diagnostic process I developed transcends automotive and applies to almost anything including the IT field, where I eventually settled.

Cheers to you, "Mr. Replo", if you are still around.
I'm sure there are similar stories from all parts of the country and in about the same time frame as ours. It's sad the state of vocational education that's been taken out of high schools even including home ec. You can say home ec to this new generation and most will say "what's that?" Yet, look how much common sense seem to have waned in generations as time goes on. I can see it. Daddy used to talk about seeing it in our generation, but I thought he was crazy. Now I can relate. I believe vocational education fills a needed void between burger flippers and college grads. And more and more now you're seeing college grads not even being able to get into the work force and have huge student loans to pay back. I have a 30 year old niece in just that situation. She's a five year college grad with degrees in art and religion. Where in the HELL can she use THAT? She's a floral arranger at the Kroger store.

I've been through the vocational process three times.

1985/86 junior and senior year in hs. Got me out of 2 years of math and 1 year of English, plus I got to work on cars for 3 hours a day.

1991/92 for building maintenance. I was already in the field but thought a certificate might get me into a management position.

1993-95 for electronics and IT. Had been self-educating for a couple years and all three instructors said I could have taught the class.

Interestingly, one of my clients was a vocational school and I got to sit in on several network and application planning meetings.
I always introduced myself as being a product of vocational education.
Unfortunately I also witnessed several attempts at undoing the vocational program and/or crippling it by the local college and their connections within the school district that wanted to require any programs to have a 'tie in" with college courses.

It was difficult for me not to stand up and scream "NO, you are completely missing the point of vocational education"....and "you have a doctorate in education, why don't you understand this?"

Simple. Because there are 12 point FASTENERS. Mopar example would be slant six and big block rear main seal retainer cap bolts.
Yup, that's why I said I use them on those. That's the only time Ill use a 12 point.

Last edited:
Yup, that's why I said I use them on those. That's the only time Ill use a 12 point.
I use a 12 pt socket when I have a rounded bolt head. I chose a size a bit too small (metric or American) then gently hammer it onto the bolt head. The socket will cut into the bolt head and "viola" you are able to remove the bolt!!!!!

.. Just look at that shop. Talk about a high school gear head's dream come true. lol
I wish I had a picture of my high schools auto shop. School was built 1906, had a steam cleaner out the 40 foot wide roll up door as big as an incinerator. The door was always up train or shine so 1-2 periods were a bit chilly in there. The tools were fairly new (shop teacher bought a bunch of Snap-On that never lasted) but the fictures and equipment was straight out of 1955. Brake shoe contour machine, Sun distributor machine, a armature lathe (!) with mica cutter. Brake lathe, 4 2-post lifts and a compressor that took an entire room by itself. Industrial blower/evacuator...Coats tire machine. We thought we had it all along with about 16 engine lockers, about 8 core motors, 4 cars (one was a Satellite!) that seems to rotate inside and outside as well as about 4 hulks that were used to teach how to break welds with an air chisel. Looking at a recent map of the school, that shop is now called the "X building"..probably ex-auto shop! :(

Interesting tidbit on impact vs. standard sockets...Leans toward Impacts being less likely to crack (under an impact) but I would think that would be across the board. Interesting.....
"Some of the key differences between impact vs. regular sockets are directly linked to the former’s need for additional strength. First and foremost is the metals that are used. Rather than a chrome vanadium finish as found on most hand sockets, impact units are made out of chrome molybdenum, which is then carbonized, giving them a flat black look.

Molybdenum as a metal is more capable of absorbing vibration than vanadium, which is prone to cracking and splitting when repeatedly slammed by an impact driver’s hammers. The carbonized metal also helps improve the overall strength of the metal itself.

You’ll also find a locking pin inside most impact sockets to keep it from vibrating off of the tool while it’s in use.

Choose Wisely
Can you use impact sockets with hand tools? Definitely, although you’ll notice that they are heavier than standard sockets and may be too thick at the borders to fit into tighter spots. Can you use regular sockets with an impact gun? You can, but you’re running the risk of shortening the life of the socket due to the vibration and stress associated with the driver."

At risk of perpetuating the school shop detour this thread has taken-

We had the following donated vehicles:

1970 firebird six cylinder. green with white vinyl top and interior. The body shop tried to paint it orange at some time. It was really thin and mottled and peeling off in spots. Hideous. They also didn't paint the jambs, so they were still green. We weren't allowed to do anything to that car but we had to drive it out of and back into the shop every day. IIRC it had 60 miles on it in 1985, about 100 feet at a time, all on the choke. I lobbied to build a buick 455 we had in the donated engine pile for it and take it drag racing.

1968-ish triumph gt6+ hard top six cylinder. Learned how to work on dual carbs and variable venturi carbs.

1973-ish mazda rx-3. Rusted out where the rear lower control arm bolted to the frame. Had a big Holley four barrel on top of the rotary engine. We tried real hard to get that control arm to let loose, but it never did.

1985 chevy blazer. 2 wheel drive 2.8 5 speed. Had the VIN rivets from the dash drilled out, right through the windshield.
We weren't allowed to do anything to that one either. I learned to drive a manual trans on that...sort of.

Last edited:
The worst part about standard sockets on an impact is when the chrome plating cracks and you find it with the tip of your finger.... ouch...

I used to be able to take my broken craftsman stuff to Sears for free replacement. Sockets and ratchets anyway . Does Lowes warranty those? I had some husky stuff and my Home Depot told me I had to mail it in for exchange. At that rate I might as well just suck it up and buy new
In the late 80s I was a framing carpenter building houses and townhouses and anything out of dimensional lumber. Id return a tape measure every 6 weeks. They'd break at an increment of 4 feet, ( i seem to recall at 12 feet?) anyway for years iit was no questions asked, go in return tape get a new one. At some point in the mid 90's the counter guy started questioning things giving hassle, accusing me of abusing my tools etc. I got sick of it and bought a Stanley. they last longer anyway. but yeah even sockets they'd accuse me of using it on an impact gun (how'd they know?) LOL! I ended up being an auto professional and bought Snap on, Mac Matco Cornwell etc. expensive but the truck came to me every week and they warrantied the stuff with little hassle.

A pro mechanic needs better tools than us hobby types!!!

I see some hobby guys that have the absolute best of everything..shop, tools, air compressor, welders, plazma cutter, you name it.... and most have never been used more than once, if at all.
Then here are people like me! Sad!:poke::rofl::popcorn:

good thing is, even if you are low of funds you can find used snap on at flea markets etc. if you go looking youll find tools noone really works with their hands any more.

isn't like there is a sea of hungry young guys are buying tools to become mechanics.

-
Back