Why the /6

-
Because variety is the spice of life. I drive my /6 Scamp almost daily Spring-Fall, but I don't drag race or do burnouts. And I wouldn't if I had a 340. My /6 is basically stock with electronic ignition and larger exhaust. It has plenty of torque and acceleration to keep up with traffic.

Different people enjoy different engines for different reasons; that is a good thing.

Mother Mopar made some great engines, including some great straight-six motors. I have a Flathead 6 in my '57 D-100 and I get more comments about the engine than any other aspect of the truck (which has twice won Mopar Nationals Best of Show- Truck).

Our hobby benefits from variety; between manufacturers and within. Small block, big block, six or eight, gas or diesel, carbureted or fuel injection, supercharger or turbo. Build and drive what you like and I'm glad we all don't like the same thing!

Our hobby is all too often saturated with the attitude of “my way is the right way.” I’m glad people build and drive the traditional Mopar Muscle car V8 engines. I enjoy looking at them, listening to them, and watching them drag race. I think they are cool in different ways than I think /6 built cars are cool. Slant 6 engines are different but not inferior to their V8 brothers.

We all enjoy our classic cars and trucks, let’s enjoy the variety.

Because variety is the spice of life. I drive my /6 Scamp almost daily Spring-Fall, but I don't drag race or do burnouts. And I wouldn't if I had a 340. My /6 is basically stock with electronic ignition and larger exhaust. It has plenty of torque and acceleration to keep up with traffic.

Different people enjoy different engines for different reasons; that is a good thing.

Mother Mopar made some great engines, including some great straight-six motors. I have a Flathead 6 in my '57 D-100 and I get more comments about the engine than any other aspect of the truck (which has twice won Mopar Nationals Best of Show- Truck).

Our hobby benefits from variety; between manufacturers and within. Small block, big block, six or eight, gas or diesel, carbureted or fuel injection, supercharger or turbo. Build and drive what you like and I'm glad we all don't like the same thing!

Our hobby is all too often saturated with the attitude of “my way is the right way.” I’m glad people build and drive the traditional Mopar Muscle car V8 engines. I enjoy looking at them, listening to them, and watching them drag race. I think they are cool in different ways than I think /6 built cars are cool. Slant 6 engines are different but not inferior to their V8 brothers.

We all enjoy our classic cars and trucks, let’s enjoy the variety.

X2 :cheers: welll said and I agree 100% :wav:

It's the happiest little engine in the world. My background is all about big engines and blown nitro, so I get the horsepower thing. But, I've got two Slants in my current fleet...64 Dart 170 is my daily driver. I LOVE that thing! It's just so agricultural, primitive, simple...happy. It's the ultimate 40 mph around-town car/engine combination.
As for hot rodded Slants? Just too cool. I can recall several occasions when I was *** deep in a Funnycar or Digger between rounds, and dropped what I was doing to run to the fence to watch a hot Slant make a pass. Some day I'll build one for myself. Anybody got a cheap aluminum block collecting dust?

A well written point :glasses7: and could be a set of lyrics in a song :glasses7:
Primitive and simple :cheers:

Back to the question of weight. A slant will be less, roughly in the 50 to 100 lbs range if the smallblock has a aluminum intake.Those Iron Thermoquad intakes tip the scales damn near 50 lbs.

Not trying to piss anyone off,would it be any different if i ask why you drive a Chevy GROW UP.I realy have nothing against the /6.

Not trying to piss anyone off,would it be any different if i ask why you drive a Chevy GROW UP.I realy have nothing against the /6.
I'm as grown as I want to be, and your previous posts seem to contradict this one.

As to why I have a /, it is because I'm a fan of smaller displacement engines. I started out bleeding Ford blue, but as I've aged (not grown up) I've concluded that it's all good. I have no brand preference any more. All of the big three built ugly cars, and all of them built cars that I strongly covet. I even would love to have a first gen AMX. About the only cars that I don't have at least some interest in are French.

I have been enjoying your thread Snake :cheers:

Smooth as she goes :supz: no train wreck here

Attachments

• Tim%20Morlin%20Visit%207%2022%202010%20011.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 388
  • train5.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 363
Even though I am swapping my little 225 out for its much larger cousin, the 440, I'm still a fan of the old slant. I can see saving and not swapping the slant out for a V8. It's a tough, reliable engine, and they and most of the parts can be found for almost nothing at swap meets etc. Personally, I'm actually on the look out for a deal on a roller duster body to put my little leaning tower into as a daily driver.

Thanks bro.:supz:
You are welcome brother, I just walked out and fired my little slant up and drove her to a gas station after a 71 sleep in her nest :glasses7:
One tap on the throttle and she fired right up :D Just like a fine piece of farm equipment :D
She enjoyed the sun shine and 15 mile work out to lube her up good

About an hour ago :glasses7:

Attachments

• DSC00001.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 386
  • DSC00002.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 371
  • DSC00003.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 368
  • DSC00004.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 380
Since there seems to be a conversion on this engine..

...yup../6s are really popular. Took me almost 2 years to find someone that would take it off my /6 off my hands (rebuilt carb, new gas pump, 34K miles) for free...I even threw in a trans and rear end (with great brakes)...

I suspect that the monies you would pour into the engine to hop it up would be the same to slide in a 360...

I have never seen a crowd around a mopar /6 engine..I guess I haven't lived long enough..

I will believe everything but gas mileage myth...nope...gas mileage sucks with these.. you gallon is smaller than ours to boot..
If you are looking for an indestructible 6 cylinder, there was one in the Ford Maverick. I used to see a lot of them on farms...I was told that when no other car would start, this 6 cylinder would..

But each to his own..

The mythically good gas mileage on my Slant sure did save me a lot of real money. I wish all magical things were that effective.

I just got to ask why the /6 over a much better and more powerfull sbv8 or bbv8 why do you keep that low power unit?:wack:

This might be incredibly hard to believe, but not everyone who drives an old car feels the need to be faster than the guy in the lane next to them.

I outgrew that particular insecurity when I was around 28.

Why can't some folks understand that not everyone wants to go as fast as possible for the least amount of time, effort, and money? This is a very diverse hobby, and there are different kinds of car guys, and different kinds of cars (and engines). I don't race my car, so why would I need a small block, much less a big block?

I've always thought that this forum would actually implode if I went over to the "Engine" section and made a post like, "Why do so many of you guys need such huge, overpowered engines with 300+ horsepower? My Swinger with a mildly modified slant drives great with around 200 and gets 20 mpg highway without overdrive, so it's obviously a superior engine. No offense, just wondering." Along with being insulted several hundred times and receiving a mailbox full of death threats, I'd probably get banned. Meanwhile, posts like this in the slant six section are perfectly fine. :wack:

Who says a larger, slower revving 8 cylinder has to be used for going fast ?

Have you ever run a small cc bike on the highway then a large displacement bike ?

Or an even more real world example. A 6 cylinder Mustang and a Mustang GT. Two *completely* different handling cars. Even my wife could tell the difference ..and that is saying lots..

My 360 is just slightly modded to breath better..

..and there is no need for insults...

...yup../6s are really popular.

Well, my high school daughter is worried about popularity. Is popularity the thing that determines whether or not an engine is any good?

I hate to tell ya, but A-body Mopars aren't even popular. Chargers, Challengers and Barracudas are popular. Not these little 40+ year old economy cars we drive.

Heck, if I wanted my engine to be popular, I'd drop in a small block Chevy. Oh, wait, that's a different thread...

Very interesting on how you cut my quote to support (?) your thesis..if it was useful to anyone I suspect it wouldn't have taken 2 years to give away either...

I guess in Texas, A bodies are not popular but where I come from, they always draw a crowd..both young and old..too bad..

Perhaps you should ask your daughter what she wants...mine wants the V8...

Nobody noticed the question was asked by the SNAKE. Talking snakes have been riling up things since the Garden of Eden. And notice the "low power" comment?

There are some slant cars that can beat most V-8's in the 1/4 mile. There is even a 4 cyl turboVan out there that can shame them, plus haul the whole family there to watch.

I'll stir the pot further. Why put anything other than a GM LS engine in your car, and use anything smaller than 18" wheels?

It's a proven fact that LSx engines can't roll on anything smaller than a 17" wheel.

My / came with 13's! You don't need three hunert HP to cut cookies with those!
That's why a /, I can cut cookies all day long and get 20 MPG while doing it. Well, it would be if I actually went anywhere.....

One thing that occurred to me hasn't come up..and I am a bit surprised no one noticed it..and it started in '75, pollution control.

Hadn't thought of it because we pulled it all off and tossed it a couple of years ago..however, still having small nightmares over the engine compartment wiring..

I had a race trained master mechanic and an older mechanic that worked on tones of the Chrysler /6s and with only 34K miles on it, the best we could do on the highway was 17 mpg. The US gallon is 3.8 Ltrs and the Canadian is 4.5 ltrsso that would make my gas consumption even worse. My RAM 1500 Hemi 4wd got better gas mileage.

so I guess the discussion should be '74 and earlier and '75+.. for gas mileage...

Oh, and Chuckness, please pass the popcorn :)

It's a proven fact that LSx engines can't roll on anything smaller than a 17" wheel.

My / came with 13's! You don't need three hunert HP to cut cookies with those!
That's why a /, I can cut cookies all day long and get 20 MPG while doing it. Well, it would be if I actually went anywhere.....

My MG did as well..the days of the small tires are limited...here is what Michelin is doing..

http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/michelin-canada-to-cut-about-500-jobs-at-n-s-plant-1.1711609

You are welcome brother, I just walked out and fired my little slant up and drove her to a gas station after a 71 sleep in her nest :glasses7:
One tap on the throttle and she fired right up :D Just like a fine piece of farm equipment :D
She enjoyed the sun shine and 15 mile work out to lube her up good

About an hour ago :glasses7:

Looking at those pictures you posted, what exactly is that black thing with the two yellow stripes down the middle that you are driving on? It's been so long since I've seen that type of surface I've forgotten what it's called.

Looking at those pictures you posted, what exactly is that black thing with the two yellow stripes down the middle that you are driving on? It's been so long since I've seen that type of surface I've forgotten what it's called.

Too funny....snowing today, more for the next two days.....

-
Back