whys my cars butt sit so high?

-

AbodyJohn88

Reaction score
iv to a 67 cuda notch, stock style 340 leafs, comp engineering 3 way adjustable shocks, stock shackels and no snubber. the wheel well lip is a good 3-4 inches off the tp of the tire at a standstill and i just dont like how it looks. i know these old mopars suspension was designed to lift and plant the tires on the hit witch the car does and hooks fine. some people i meet like the look of my cars stance cuz it kind of reminds tem of that old prostock style rake but id jut rather have my rear settled down ontop of the tire even if its just down to an inch away. anyway heres some pics of it sitting and launching anybody got some tricks on evening out my rear ride hight without a new susp system????????
299608_10150302637894487_564649486_7461452_797615759_n.jpg

you sure there not SS spring?

I like the stance:cheers:

You can buy lowering blocks in 1/2 inch increments for lowering your ride.Calvert CalTracs sells some..

they very well could be superstock springs. or at the very least xhd340 springs. lol cudafever i know about 50 percent of the people i encounter love the way it the car sits but me personaly i like cars that sit pretty even almost like a chasis car. and its not like i can stuff a huge and tall tire under there to fill ir out as i have stock wheel aches and no mini tub so right now im stuck on 255/60/15s. prettybluedart do these lowering blocks effect the performance of the springs? as far as im concerned they perform just how ma mopar designed them to and wouldnt be willing to compromise performance for looks. and id have to have about 3 1/2 inches of drop block to get it where i want. also i heard on another forum of having the springs de arched? does that sound reasonable or by the time i do that should i just buy new springs??

ask 73abodee!!!!!!!!!! he has a nice duster with the *** about 8 feet off the ground.lmao

Have you had the torsion bar lowered in the front that maybe sets the back higher? I did set the torsion bars lower on my fish and the stance was about the same as on your fish. Raised the front an inch and it made the rear suspension level out.
Love the look of your Cuda.

Abodyjohn, I've got SS springs on my fish, and I don't have that much rake, or, that much space between the tire and wheel well. I was also able to stuff some 275's in there as well (with 4-5/8" backspace & a 1/2" spacer - to get the tire away from the springs). As swedefish stated, maybe your torsion bars are set too low? Take it in to a front end shop, have them raise the front an inch or so, then have them re-align it.

When I put ss springs on my Dart (3,000 lbs springs) it raised the rear 5 1/2''. Just about where your car sits now. I checked with others and found many were using lowering blocks and were running low 12's to mid 11's with no issues as far as breakage or safety.
My car has been on blocks for 10 years. IF you go that route get good ones not cheepies.

If the car was rebuilt it's possible that something's binding too. Stock springs do not sit like that. The nose is low, but that won't cause the tail to sit that high. I dont use lowering blocks. I either have the springs de-arched (costs about $40) or use an adjustable front spring hanger or a combination. You are correct in thinking a Mopar should not have much rake, or "tail high" setup that is the result of suspension setup. (Sometimes they have it because of tire size dfferences).

You can flip the front hanger, this will drop it at least an inch and cost nothing. It looks like the front is a bit low too.

You could adjust the torsion bars up about an inch, this will cost nothing.

From the look of it, if you lower the back much you will run the risk of the tire hitting.

(Remember to get an alignment after you get the ride hight where you want it.)

dug up a picture of the car on the hit. as you can see shes got plenty of front end travel if you look at the first pic compared to this one. and you can also see the rear does rise quite a bit as it should so i defanitly have long enough shocks. i measured the clearance today and its roughly 4 inches from the top of my tire to the center of the wheel lip while the car is siting so im going to do a 2 inch de arch and a 1 inch drop block. i think that will get me where i want to be. thanks again everyone
IMG_3736.jpg

John, knowing the last owner, there S/S springs, but which ones, I do not know. IIRC, they would be the 002-003's.

I was going to suggest flipping the front spring hangers also.

Currently I'm working on a new set of front hangers for my dart which will lower and move the rear end back to center the rear wheels in the opening. 255/60's with SS springs.

I like the stance looks great thats what I'm going for with my dart but its not there

iv to a 67 cuda notch, stock style 340 leafs, comp engineering 3 way adjustable shocks, stock shackels and no snubber. the wheel well lip is a good 3-4 inches off the tp of the tire at a standstill and i just dont like how it looks. i know these old mopars suspension was designed to lift and plant the tires on the hit witch the car does and hooks fine. some people i meet like the look of my cars stance cuz it kind of reminds tem of that old prostock style rake but id jut rather have my rear settled down ontop of the tire even if its just down to an inch away. anyway heres some pics of it sitting and launching anybody got some tricks on evening out my rear ride hight without a new susp system????????
299608_10150302637894487_564649486_7461452_797615759_n.jpg
One option is ARE sells front spring hangers with 2 hole positions,I put these on my Demon. I is supposed to drop car 2 inches, but is more like 1". You can use these with a 1" lower block and get close to what you want without changing your springs. I beleive I got them from Hughes Performance.

By chance, did you check to be sure the rear shackle is not bottomed out on the frame. This will not allow the spring to "lengthen" out which will not allow the car to lower. Just thinking on the "other end" of the spring! [wrong length spring]

I use a 2.5" angle cut drop block for my Duster with SS springs. Don't know what angle they are cut at because they were that way when I got them. Here is a pic of my car launching. that is a 26" tall tire on the rear.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 388
Welded on lowering blocks.
0317001238.jpg

0317001240.jpg

IMGP2060.jpg

P3070005.jpg

02-03 Super Stock springs
P7040803.jpg

Soft 60 ft times but they are street tire's
2010-07-23222628.jpg

I have super stock springs in my 72 duster i added 2" lowering blocks to get the look and ride i wanted.

Womanator, is that left rear Hoosier rubbing on the front section of the spring? Thats where mine are scuffing.

Yes,measure twice cut once.
Had to fix the problem.
Measure twice,cut twice.

-
Back