Winter time model building thread.

-
Here ya go Burnt 1 V-10 Dart I built this about 12 yrs ago wanted a "sleeper" look so I used the steelies & dog dish caps and kept it all under the hood. If you look close at the underside I also went with rack & pinion steering but kept the stock exhaust and t-bar suspension. I hope this will help with your idea
That Dart is very cool!!8)

This is my latest build in the early stages it's a 1958 Edsel to be powered by a complete Viper driveline including suspension. I was recently at model show and won a '94 Viper kit as a door prize, and since I'm not a huge fan of the older Vipers I decided to do something else with it. I done several Viper engine swaps in models including a '69 Dart, '67 Coronet, '32 Ford etc. While at the show I got looking around for a body to swap the drivetrain into and decided on this crazy idea. I bought 2 Edsel built up kits for $10 so I got some extra parts in case of any mess ups. I'm almost finished with the frame mods as I've grafted in the Viper suspension sections to the Edsel's stock frame. The engine in the pics is for mock up only as I'm experimenting with a possible twin turbo set up on the V-10 just for kick (like the concept isn't strange enough already). I'll keep everybody updated as this one progresses, it'll be a long interesting build

Here's some pic's of the almost finished engine (still have to put the plug wires on + a couple small details). Twin turbo's are mounted low to fit the engine bay, they tuck into the frame nicely. The twin intercoolers will be mounted in each front fender behind the headlights, with the pipes entering through each inner fender to the throttle bodies. The chassis is painted and ready to start assembly, the floors are extensively modified and primered. I'm still trying to decide which way to go with the interior (stock or viper), I'm going to keep the bodywork subtle (just smoothed with very minor changes). I'll keep everybody updated on this build.

HPIM5785.jpg

HPIM5786.jpg

HPIM5784 (3).jpg

HPIM5786 (2).jpg

HPIM5784 (2).jpg

is that viper snake bite green on the frame ?? very kool
The engine & frame are painted with the Testors one coat lacquer Lime Ice, this paint is awesome and great colors. The color is very close to the Viper green and goes with my theme. I haven't decided on body colors yet though I do plan a 2 tone paint job and don't want the whole thing green. I'm open to any ideas for the color combo.

I have been building models for most of life. My father got me into it when was about 5 y.o. Here are some pics of some of my Mopars. I have some others as well.

IMG_3761.jpg

IMG_3762.jpg

IMG_3763.jpg

IMG_3768.jpg

IMG_3772.jpg

Here are some non-Mopar models. The Prudhomme dragster and the Jungle Jim funnycar are 1/16 scale. I have several 1/16 dragsters and f/c kits that I am going to build.

IMG_3757.jpg

IMG_3758.jpg

IMG_3771.jpg

my current projects. They have been siting a while because I have been paying attention the full scale one in the garage more lately. The first is a 1/12 scale 69 Camaro and the second is a 70 Charger R/T that I is a modified 69 Charger model kit from Revell. I had to modify the front end and made a resin 70 grill.

IMG_3755.jpg

IMG_3776.jpg

This one was a different build. It's a Linberg model. I added Viper wheels and tires. The paint ended up not being the color I wanted, I used the wrong color primer, and it came out this funky green/ yellow hue.

Picture 081.jpg

Thx for the compliments. I've been really enjoying this thread. I didn't think there was many who did models anymore.

Very time consumming... I like doing models when the mood hits, when I get a decent digital camera I'll post some pics of my builds...

This one was a different build. It's a Linberg model. I added Viper wheels and tires. The paint ended up not being the color I wanted, I used the wrong color primer, and it came out this funky green/ yellow hue.
Here's a Caravan that I did when the kit first came out it is the same Lindberg kit as yours. I did it as a "Rampage" and also cut the hood open and installed an engine, the front bumper is from a Viper. It's not one of my better builds but I didn't want to spend too much time on it as it is a very basic kit to build. Just some thing different.

HPIM5973.jpg

HPIM5975.jpg

HPIM5976.jpg

Here's some pic's of the almost finished engine (still have to put the plug wires on + a couple small details). Twin turbo's are mounted low to fit the engine bay, they tuck into the frame nicely. The twin intercoolers will be mounted in each front fender behind the headlights, with the pipes entering through each inner fender to the throttle bodies. The chassis is painted and ready to start assembly, the floors are extensively modified and primered. I'm still trying to decide which way to go with the interior (stock or viper), I'm going to keep the bodywork subtle (just smoothed with very minor changes). I'll keep everybody updated on this build.

Some updated pics. This is turning into a bigger challenge than I was expecting. Got the chassis almost done now , but he body has a ways to go yet. My original plan was to keep the body stock & simple but the wide track of the Viper suspension has changed that idea. I'm now putting the finishing touches on widening the body, I cut the doors & 1/4 panels off of another Edsel to widen the original body. The dash is a combination of the Edsel & Viper dashes, the interior is going to be as much Viper as I can. The center console is 2 Viper consoles joined to give a full length console, seats will be Viper as well

HPIM5968.jpg

HPIM5970.jpg

HPIM5971.jpg

HPIM5972.jpg

Here's a Caravan that I did when the kit first came out it is the same Lindberg kit as yours. I did it as a "Rampage" and also cut the hood open and installed an engine, the front bumper is from a Viper. It's not one of my better builds but I didn't want to spend too much time on it as it is a very basic kit to build. Just some thing different.
That looks cool!!! I was thinking of building one similar, but with the engine mounted in the bed. That Edsel is gonna look awesome when finished!!

love the mini can, uts type idea,,mopar missed it on that one,,,would be kool in real life,

the edsel,,,,some pics of making it wider,,,please very kool man

love the mini can, uts type idea,,mopar missed it on that one,,,would be kool in real life,

the edsel,,,,some pics of making it wider,,,please very kool man

Here you go! I've just widened the rear of the body from the middle of the doors back. I cut the original 1/4 panels of as narrow as possible then cut the donor 1/4 as wide as possible to give me some extra width. I had to cut the doors out about half way as well then slice the new panels slightly so I could bend them in to match the original body. By cutting the doors the way I did it always a smooth tapered flow between the 2 different width's. The total gain in width is 1/8" on each side plus I've also sanded the inside of the 1/4's down for even more clearance (the body mold is very thick on this). I now of course have to widen everything else that go with the body (tail light panel, bumper. floor pan, etc.), but by cutting it the way I did the interior with is unchanged as I left top portion of the original doors in place.

HPIM5861.jpg

HPIM5860.jpg

HPIM5863.jpg

HPIM5862.jpg

HPIM5787 (3).jpg

HPIM5864.jpg

-
Back