Wix and NAPA Gold filters have separated.

-

toolmanmike

Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
One of the fellas on FBBO has a reliable source. Baldwin shouldn't be bad though.

You want Wix, check this thread out. I have bought cases of Wix through them. Make a list, order what you need, and have filters for a year. Wix filter deal

Last edited:
I have been using Baldwin filters for a few years now both on trucks and some of the hydraulic equipment that I service and think the quality is there so I wouldn’t think twice about using them on my car.

I agree. Baldwin is not commonly available around here, but back in my "parts" days the commercial truck guys used them along with Wix. They are well thought of

This is a troubling decision, IF TRUE. Troubling in that NAPA went with "low bidder" instead of "bettery quality." We've all heard that at least some Wix is now imported, does this mean that Baldwin is as well, and may have gotten worse?

Or does this mean NAPA did this just to save a buck?

I agree. Baldwin is not commonly available around here, but back in my "parts" days the commercial truck guys used them along with Wix. They are well thought of

This is a troubling decision, IF TRUE. Troubling in that NAPA went with "low bidder" instead of "bettery quality." We've all heard that at least some Wix is now imported, does this mean that Baldwin is as well, and may have gotten worse?

Or does this mean NAPA did this just to save a buck?
Purely economics I'm certain. Like the car manufacturers, save a nickel on a part equals thousands a day and millions at the end of the year. Good for Wix to not play the Wal Mart game but look at the sales they lost.

You want Wix, check this thread out. I have bought cases of Wix through them. Make a list, order what you need, and have filters for a year. Wix filter deal

Wasn't there a Wix filter plant in Iowa somewhere?

I remember some filter folding machines laying around a lab when I went to school there.

Wasn't there a Wix filter plant in Iowa somewhere?

I remember some filter folding machines laying around a lab when I went to school there.
I haven't heard about that. There's Donaldson in Cresco.

Historically Wix were made by Gard Corp in Gastonia NC, but I think they went offshore a few years back.

i work at an napa store. when we have our filter sale 2 times a year, wix is hard pressed to supply even 30% of the filters that we would sell. when you have 70% of your filters backordered and have to tell your customer that it might be 6 months before you get your filters, it ain't good times. and every time you turn around, we have to raise the price of them. wix is a good filter but they are in over their heads, i think. trying to supply o'boys and a few others, along with napa. too much for them?

I had two cute young ladies that worked at my local Napa store. The one would call me twice a year when they had sales. My last order just for me was over 140.00 for the race cars, motorhome, Malibu, and 2006 dodge diesel. Oil, air and fuel. Another Napa bought this store and closed them down. Glad I’m stocked up for awhile.

I order a couple cases of these once a year. If all your going to do is drive your cars to a few shows these are terrific. I wouldn't use for racing or any severe duty.
They're Wix filters and fit nearly all Mopars up to 2007.
O'Reilly sells these for $28 a case where I'm at, P/N WIX PXL51085MP.

They're good people. Not only do they have the filter business, they have a hardware store, auto parts, farm store, and small engine-power equipment business on the same site. In a small town in New York's Finger Lakes, they're the only place to get many things for miles and miles. I sold them a lot of drums and pails of diesel engine oil, tractor fluid and hydraulic oil.

I have enough to last at least 10 years , bought two cases of both the street and race versions couple years ago

baldwin filters are every bit as good as a wix filter! been using them for decades on heavy equipment and big trucks! but fleet guard is the preferred filter for cummins so thats what i use on my big truck....DWB!

-
Back