worn out shocks vs. calvert 90/10's

-

mshred

The Green Manalishi
Reaction score
hey guys,

just wondering if there would be a noticable benefit from switching from worn out stock 6cyl gas shocks in the front to a 90/10 shock, specifically the calvert as i have heard pretty good stuff about them. Would a worn out shock act similary in that it allows the front to rise and drop quick, or would there be a different with the 90/10 (even if its minute like in 60ft times or something)..what do you guys think?

I think that I would prefer the Calverts. I have them on ours, they do seem a little soft. However, the car works really well with them. I would only recommend them if you have the full Calvert system. If you don't , I would go with something like a Comp 90/10 shock.

You don't need to spend big money on shocks unless you want/need too..i've got $25.00 Summit racing shocks on the front and rear of the duster,car leaves very nice with the stroker i was pulling low 1.40's in the 60'..with the 360 low 1.60's..

I am going wih the calverts on my Duster drag car. I am also going with there rear set up as well. I would not recomend a shock like this on a car that sees the street at all though.

I am going wih the calverts on my Duster drag car. I am also going with there rear set up as well. I would not recomend a shock like this on a car that sees the street at all though.

I'm with you. I wouldn't use the Calvert shocks on a street car.

i didnt think that because they were from calvert they need to be matched with caltracs..i mean there just a 90/10 shock arent they?
also, i wasnt aware summit had front drag shocks for the a-body application...have any idea who makes it for them?

also i have no problem running either on a street car...i know quite a few guys running 90/10's with loose suspension up front in daily drivers- its all in how you drive

The Calverts are real soft, where the Comp 90/10's will not let the front settle as quick. I ran the Comp's on the street. What I liked about them was they seem to hold the frt end up longer before they would settle back. I had a set of the notoriuos hang down headers, with these shocks, I never bottomed out the header tubes.
The Calvert's will settle alot quicker than the other brands that I have seen, which is why I like them on a racecar only.

The Calverts are real soft, where the Comp 90/10's will not let the front settle as quick. I ran the Comp's on the street. What I liked about them was they seem to hold the frt end up longer before they would settle back. I had a set of the notoriuos hang down headers, with these shocks, I never bottomed out the header tubes.
The Calvert's will settle alot quicker than the other brands that I have seen, which is why I like them on a racecar only.

thanks for the explanation mike, i didnt know the differences before...so im assuming the reason the calverts wouldnt be street friendly is because they settle quick and may damage the headers? but at the same time, maybe they are okay since the front end settles quicker which would be better when trying to stop quickly than with the front end in the air?
what about the summit shocks, anyone know what their stuff is like?

You don't need to spend big money on shocks unless you want/need too..i've got $25.00 Summit racing shocks on the front and rear of the duster,car leaves very nice with the stroker i was pulling low 1.40's in the 60'..with the 360 low 1.60's..

I didn't realize they offered one. I just bought some comp 3 way adjustables. Dangit.

For almost the same money you can buy a Viking double adjustable shock.

It's 2017. Time to leave the 1970's behind.

Viking's quality and customer service are best in the biz. I sent an email inquiry at around 7 pm on a Thursday night and had a reply that night. I am in Washington and they are in Minnesota.

The best shock on the front of your stock suspension Mopar is no shock. Always has been, always will be.
Come as close to that as you can and you're golden

I run Calvert 90/10 on the street on my Brand-X car. They work great and are loads of fun at the stoplights when you stab the gas and the fenders pop up. LOL.

A run them on the street on my dart. Your not going to go auto crossing, but if you drive the with some common sense they're fine.

-
Back