Worried about my son

-
Hey 65 I know what you are feeling. I have 7 year old twin boys, one who is Autistic. He too is a picky eater. Like others have said, get to your children's doctor, if there is nothing physically wrong with him he will get hungry and eventually eat. But check anyway.
What types of support is there where you live?
Here in Southern Alberta there is lots of help for Autistic children. I would also suggest looking for local Autism support groups, you are not alone! These groups are parents just like you who want to help and who know where to go for help, use them.

Keep us posted, and in the mean time all I can say from experience is be patient with him and give him lots of love. I will be praying for you and yours.

Dorian

bless you,

my brother is a nurse and I have cousins with autism I'll keep you in mind and ask when I get chance.

as I understand, you can almost live off pediasure, but do seek prof. help

make me teary :( must be hard, try not to let it take too hard a toll on you

Prayers go out for the little guy.......Cheeseburgers,french fries,and a Coke !

all good advice and all good possibilities for reasons behind his actions.... but there may be a REAL LIVE medical reason for his behavior that is not obvious to anyone that isnt a Doctor....THAT is way too long without food, supplements are good BUT NOT replacements for food ...GET HIM INTO SEE A PEDIATRICIAN ASAP or take him to the ER ASAP....no food for a day is no biggy....no food for 6 days is A HUGE PROBLEM for a child...HE NEEDS PROFESSIONAL ASSISTANCE NOW....NOW!!

When I woke up this morning I could not wait to see if any developments have happened.
May he wake and smell some bacon or anything and be ready to eat today are in my prayers this morning [-o<[-o<
I think I would remove the Christmas tree and memories of anything that may have happened to him in his mind Just thinking :dontknow: if candy and sweets bothered him and the first thing he see's is the pretty tree and bring back a moment that may have happened in his mind.:dontknow:
Your son is young and hard for me to give advice except getting him to the doctor :shaking:
What was his favorite thing to eat before Christmas 65Vart ?
And what is it he does that makes him talk and be happy ? a favorite tv show or something on dvd ?
If you know what his favorite fun treat was from Mac Donalds or where ever Have it ready for his eye's to see.
I feel for you and your family, and have never had to watch over a child with this condition. I do remember walking in a house even at the age of 8 and seeing a Christmas tree in it and it did mess with my head some.

I know this is very stressful for ya. But the GOOD sign, to me at least, is that he is willing to drink Pediasure. My 8 yo Down's Syndrome son is fed thru a g-tube. He gets 8-9 cans of Pediasure a day. As long as he gets enough Pediasure, he'll be ok. Keep a watch on his weight, and DO get him to his doc to be sure that there isn't an underlying MEDICAL reason for his not eating. In my Benjamin's case, he developed vicious acid reflux when he was about a month old and figured out that eating = pain, so he quit eating. He would see the bottle and actually bury his face in my or mom's shoulder to avoid it. He still has not forgotten that. He CAN eat and WILL eat certain things now, just nowhere near enough to sustain himself without the g-tube feedings of Pediasure. Still praying for ya.

Thanks Doug, still working hard on it. I have a doctors appointment set up for early this week. I got some yogert into him yesterday, he fought everything else off.......well it's a start. My wife is downstairs right know as I write this trying some oatmeal..........to everyone again thanks for the support,

First, our prayers are also going out to you and your family!! I agree with Lycandart that many kids are sensitive to texture in association with food, and more so if they have special needs. I also agree that something not food related may have triggered his reluctance to food, and this should be explored also. I am around kids with special needs all the time as many different special needs kids are part of Nellas 4-H and horseriding programs. They all have vastly different diets, and when we have group related activities that include food, many of the kids will stick to their diets and not even think of other foods. All of the above posts are good ideas, from trying to spur his interest through aromatic foods to singling out his favorite foods and trying to get him to eat them. In the end though, I believe that it may be something non food related and even though he is only 3, he knows what is bothering him and he may be the best person to ask. If you can't get an answer out of him, maybe a special loved one, like Grandma or even his best friend can. Don't discount the mind of a 3 year old, he is very sharp and knows something we don't!!! Our love and prayers are going out to you all, and give him a big Nella sized hug and let him know that Mom and Dad love him more than ever!!! Geof and Nella

Our little guy Nic is 5 and a real picky eater. Still. And the best thing I think you can do is let him pick his foods. Dont worry about nutrition for now,just establish a good routine. Feed him at the same time every day,get him some fresh air before a meal. It should increasse his appetite if you take him to a park and let him sled for an hour before lunch.

We tend to place fruit trays on the table and let him pick waht he wants.

And we also make sure he gets a favorite dish for supper on a regular basis. Not every day or even every week,but it can be used as a bribe. IE;Finish your lunch and we'll make pizza for supper..

Also make sure his teeth are not hurting due to teething issues. A real turn off to chewing if your teeth are sore. Can make soft foods a priority if this seems to be a problem. Anbesol etc will help too. We use it on our pup who is getting adult teeth right now.

Believe it or not,regular tooth brushing can help a picky appetite too.

Everyone's been giving good advice and the best is to get him to his doctor if you haven't already. If he is on meds did they recently change them to something different?
Some time new meds can make your taste buds go haywire and make everything taste terrible.
Hope you find out the problem.

Thoughts and prayers

Tom

Everyone's been giving good advice and the best is to get him to his doctor if you haven't already. If he is on meds did they recently change them to something different?
Some time new meds can make your taste buds go haywire and make everything taste terrible.
Hope you find out the problem.

Thoughts and prayers

Tom

Whoa! I totally missed this point. Really good catch Tom!

Ahh sounds like you might be findin a path to go down....Soft squishy food might be his thing.

I just wanted to update everyone since everyone who replied was there to help me out. The liittle guy seems to be getting back on track. He ate some puried pasta today with meat sauce as well as yougert and apple sauce. Not ashamed to say it brought some tears. We are making a trip to the doctor this week to see what could have caused this. I guess I still have a lot to learn about what makes him tick. I took a trip out to my garage tonight to have a look at the car, somthing which I have not done in about two weeks. Thanks again to everyone for the support. Here is a picture from the summer

Attachments

• Aiden 3 011.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 158
Great news!! And great lookin boy you got there!! He's gonna be a lady-killer for sure if he isnt already!

Wow......That is the news we have been waiting for !!!!

He's a precious little guy !!!!

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Way to go! He iis a cute little fella!:angel7:

What a relief!! Don't blame you a bit on the tears, I'm a little misty too.

Wow, Wally! Does that young fella ever look like you. Great to hear your good news. Kids will break your heart, and then heal it again, a million times over. It never ends. I sure hope you don't end up with as much grey as I have.

65Vart,
That's a great picture of Aiden! He's making eye contact, that's another plus for you!

You're getting excellent advise here on FABO...as usual:cheers:

If I may suggest some things:
Try to determine if he is hyper or hypo-sensitive to food.

Try stimulating his cheeks, jaw, and inside his mouth before eating.
Try dipping his food in condiments like ketchup or honey mustard.
He may want more intense flavors.

Here is a link with more details:
http://www.sensory-processing-disorder.com/oral-sensitivities.html

I'm also curious if he grinds his teeth?

(I'm not a doctor, but I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night):read2:

burg

-
Back