WTF is up with the vin on my 65 Dart??

-

Rockerdude

Rock n' Roll and A-bodies
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Ive been wondering about this for a while now, the number stamped on the upper rad support and on the rear speaker tray match each other, as well as the sequance number on the number plate. But the vin in the driverside door hinge area is way different. I tried to decode the 10 digit number on the tray and rad support with no such luck, but the number in the door works out. Also, the first two digits in the door hindge area are almost not visible at all.

Thank you. RD

If you find the broadcast sheet under the rear seat or the carpet you will probably find the body numbers match the S.O. numbers on the broadcast sheet

I myself as a 65' Dart GT owner, yet to be restored (still have interior, glass, engine bay (everything to), tranny, driveline, differential.) the body is strait now thought so I have yet to get into it much yet. we all know why $$$ Once again good luck!

Thank you. And the build sheet is long gone..

I have read you can purchase copies of punch cards from the chrysler historical society for pre 67 cars that have dealer information and the codes for car fender tags if that is important to you.

See following link.

http://ch300imp.com/chs_us.htm

Regardless I'm pretty sure the numbers on the body are S.O. numbers and they do not decode. If your car has a fender tag and vin# you have quite a bit of information already. If the fender tag is gone it may be interesting to purchase the punch card copy to learn more about your cars factory build.

The VIN should not be on the car anywhere other than the VIN tag in the door jamb and the broadcast sheet if you still have them. The number on the radiator support didn't match the VIN till sometime in 69

I have read you can purchase copies of punch cards from the chrysler historical society for pre 67 cars that have dealer information and the codes for car fender tags if that is important to you.

See following link.

http://ch300imp.com/chs_us.htm

Regardless I'm pretty sure the numbers on the body are S.O. numbers and they do not decode. If your car has a fender tag and vin# you have quite a bit of information already. If the fender tag is gone it may be interesting to purchase the punch card copy to learn more about your cars factory build.

A fendertag can be produced if you know all the option the car came with. The five last digits in the sequense# on the cowl support were used on the fendertag. The date of built can be found on the punchcard. So you should be able to get it done within a month or so. Let me know if I can be of assistance.

-
Back