1963 Dart 170 2 Door Post Resto

-
Some very impressive work going on there.
Like every picture.
Thanks. I'm happy with the progress.

Got some time in the shop today... As usual time got away from me and before I knew it 5 hours was gone...lol. at least my progress today reflects it. Trunk area and back of car done, along with the bottom of one of the rockers and wheel well lip. A few more days like this and will be prepping for primer finally. Can't wait.

20210205_201430_HDR.jpg

20210205_201457_HDR.jpg

20210205_201504_HDR.jpg

More good progress. Ordered some small paint stripping discs before Christmas, but thanks to Canada post only just got them the other day. Any way, I decided to try one out yesterday. These things are awesome!! I've used stripping discs before and they work well but always find they wear out quickly and don't get the value for the money IMO. I used 2 of these (only 2 inches diameter...bought to fit into tight spaces, cost only $1 each) and with 2 I was able to completely strip the passenger door opening and around the rear seat side window. I did use 2 small roloc sanding discs to get into the tighter corners these wouldn't reach but still super happy with the results. Also can still use the 2 stripping discs a bit on flat surfaces as there's still material left in the middle. Hoping if I can get out there tomorrow and Saturday for a bit I'll be up to the rad support/headlight area and then ready for epoxy. Finally seeing the end of this stage.

Passenger door opening.jpg

passenger rear side opening.jpg

stripping disc.jpg

used stripping disc.jpg

So not much new on Dart to report. Still plugging away at paint removal. But progress is progress right? At least that's what I keep telling myself...lol.

Used one of the stripping discs to clean up the drivers headlight bucket. It was the worst of the 2 with surface rust. The wire wheel wouldn't touch it and with the tight corners by hand would take forever, so I thought I'd give it a go. SUPER happy with how easily it cleaned up. Used one disc for the bucket and half the front valance and part of the rad support (part connecting to the headlight bucket. I did use a few 240 grit roloc discs to get into some tight corners the stripping pad couldn't reach as well.

Also cleaned up the rest of the drivers door opening (all I have pictures so far is where I cleaned up around the vin plate area) as well as passenger firewall area (after removing old seam sealer). Came out really clean.

Was hoping to have it ready for epoxy by the end of the week but with work and life obligations, it may be mid week next week before the shell is ready. Still have to bring the other panels for media blasting the insides but no rush on that. I can work on the body work after epoxy while waiting on them. Hopefully it'll be all one color again soon. Stay tuned...

Also, one update from the incorrect weatherstrip I received from RockAuto. It was manufactured by metro moulded parts and when I ordered what was supposed to fit a 2 door sedan, I found it to fit a Bbody. I think they listed the dart as same as Polara. Either way, I called them to let them know of the issue (Rock Auto wasn't able to refund as I opened package before I noticed the issue...length was listed and way off...my bad for not seeing that and confirming first) they told me to send them in and they'd send me the correct ones. I never asked for a replacement, just wanted them to know of the fitment listing issue but they took care of me. The new ones came in yesterday. That's great customer service IMO. Metro moulded has a customer in me with that kind of service.

headlight bucket 1.jpg

headlight bucket 2.jpg

drivers door opening cleanup.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, so I think I'm finally done taking things off the car (besides the hood of course to get blasted). Got a few hours in the shop over the weekend and got almost the entire inside of the car ready for primer. All that's left is behind where the brake pedal assembly used to be (I got that removed just before going back in for the day.) and the drivers windshield pillar. Even cleaned up both roof braces. Never did a great job before and it was bugging me, and my OCD wouldn't let me leave it that way, so went over it again. Much happier with them now.

Got the other headlight bucket cleaned up so all that's left up front is the rad support outer panel.

Still have to do the bottom of the other rocker and clean the seam sealer out of the rain gutters but I'm finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel...for this stage any way.

Hopefully I can have the shell ready and maybe in epoxy before the end of the month. Still have to take the hood, trunk lid and doors out to have the inside media blasted but I can still work on the shell while I wait on them to come back. Actually think the plan is to finish the body work on the shell first, then move it out of the way and do the other panels before reinstall. Think I'm going to paint the interior and door jambs (hinge area) that will be difficult to reach after the doors go back on. Then I can just tape off the engine bay and interior and get the remainder of the car sprayed.

More to come...

front nearly done.jpg

inside almost done 1.jpg

inside almost done 2.jpg

inside almost done 3.jpg

inside almost done 4.jpg

So, I guess I was a little premature about saying I was done taking things off the car...

Went out today to finish the inside firewall and cowl area. Got that all cleaned up as well as the pillar and the rest of the windshield opening. Also had time to finish the other 3 wheel well opening lips. The paint stripping discs work wonders on this. Cleaned up really nice. As I was about to call it a day I decided to start cleaning out the seam sealer in the rain gutters. That's when I decided it best to pull the stainless to get better access and not damage the stainless in the process of cleaning the gutters.

Really glad I decided to clean the seam sealer out. While it didn't look too bad, just some minor cracking, it was completely separated from the metal underneath and surface rust along the majority of the length. No pitting or anything, just powdery surface rust fortunately. Will clean up just fine.

If I can keep going at this pace getting an hour or two each day I should be ready for epoxy by the weekend...I hope.

I may have changed direction on the hood, trunk and doors mind you. Called around today to see about media blasting. Only place close by offered soda blasting and it was $175 per panel...a little steeper than I wanted to pay. All others only offered glass or sand blasting. This will be fine for the doors but not so much for the hood and trunk lid as it can easily warp the panels. I may get the doors done but may wet blast the hood and trunk lid myself. The water will keep the panel cool to minimize the change of warpage.

So, I guess I was a little premature about saying I was done taking things off the car...

Went out today to finish the inside firewall and cowl area. Got that all cleaned up as well as the pillar and the rest of the windshield opening. Also had time to finish the other 3 wheel well opening lips. The paint stripping discs work wonders on this. Cleaned up really nice. As I was about to call it a day I decided to start cleaning out the seam sealer in the rain gutters. That's when I decided it best to pull the stainless to get better access and not damage the stainless in the process of cleaning the gutters.

Really glad I decided to clean the seam sealer out. While it didn't look too bad, just some minor cracking, it was completely separated from the metal underneath and surface rust along the majority of the length. No pitting or anything, just powdery surface rust fortunately. Will clean up just fine.

If I can keep going at this pace getting an hour or two each day I should be ready for epoxy by the weekend...I hope.

I may have changed direction on the hood, trunk and doors mind you. Called around today to see about media blasting. Only place close by offered soda blasting and it was $175 per panel...a little steeper than I wanted to pay. All others only offered glass or sand blasting. This will be fine for the doors but not so much for the hood and trunk lid as it can easily warp the panels. I may get the doors done but may wet blast the hood and trunk lid myself. The water will keep the panel cool to minimize the change of warpage.
Thanks for that info on the seam sealer. I wasn't sure how I was going to handle mine. Now I know it's gotta come out. Wasn't even thinking about having rust under there.

Thanks for that info on the seam sealer. I wasn't sure how I was going to handle mine. Now I know it's gotta come out. Wasn't even thinking about having rust under there.
I had it before on a VW bug I restored. I just use a small flat screwdriver to get under it and scrape it up. Some can be difficult to remove if it's still stuck but lots of times it just comes out easy as it's no longer attached. some areas you will need something with a bit of a hook to get under the edge of the gutter where the metal overlaps. I will try to post pictures in the next day or so.

As promised. I went out today and cleaned up the drivers rain gutter. All I used was a couple flat screwdrivers to scrape it out, a drill with a wire wheel to clean up after and a die grinder with 240 grit discs to prep it and final cleanup that the wire wheel missed. Took about an hour and a half to get the drivers side this clean, maybe less.

First picture is untouched seam sealer, second and third are the surface rust found underneath, and remainder are cleaned up and tools used

Thing to remember is that even though the sealer looks fine it can be a mess underneath. As you can see from one of my pictures there was only a small crack in the sealer, but the surface rust underneath shows. Also this is a Nevada car. I have seen holes created under the rain gutter seam sealer in rust belt cars.

also ran the steering column bolts in my ultrasonic cleaner to get the loose crud off them before I put the hardware in the evaporust. That way my evaporust lasts longer. Came out pretty clean for only soap and water running it at 60 degrees

raingutter original.jpg

raingutter 2.jpg

raingutter before.jpg

raingutter 1.jpg

raingutter 3.jpg

raingutter 4.jpg

drivers gutter done.jpg

raingutter tools.jpg

firewall done.jpg

Getting closer...

Got the other drip rail stripped and cleaned and the other rocker cleaned up. Unbolted the bottom of both front fenders so I could clean up behind them as well.

Looks like all I have left is the rad support area and the rest of the cowl vent slots, then a little hand sanding in tight corners here and there and then it's time to clean the shop, wipe everything down, and spray some epoxy primer on the shell. Doors, hood and trunk lid will be done after as I will need to move the car out of the way to set up the stands to spray them. Then I plan to spray inside the fender/door jamb area and hinge area of the doors with sealer and paint before install as I don't see getting a good angle to spray them properly when done. Not looking for perfection, just a nice complete solid color. It's going to be a driver, otherwise, fenders would be off too, mind you they are really clean underneath anyway.

Finally...looks like maybe an hour of touch ups (hood hinges, cowl vents, etc) and I'm read to prime the main body. Got the rad support area all cleaned up. Even pulled the lower valance to get underneath. Can't remove it completely until I get the car back on the ground as the rotisserie mounts pass through the middle.

pass rain gutter.jpg

Front done 1.jpg

front done 2.jpg

Oh man I love that color green... super cool.
Thanks. Took me a while to settle on the color. Funny thing is those are the first pictures that actually properly represent the color. Every light makes it look a little different. The color is a Chrysler color. It is the new version of the F8 green that came on the 2020 Challenger. I like the F8 green but wanted a little twist on it so I opted to go with the new version. Will have charcoal grey and black interior which should really go well with the green. Have a couple other "custom" touches planned, but that will get revealed later.

Just picked up the epoxy primer and seam sealer the other day. Got lucky on the seam sealer as it was 40% off. Still super expensive at $50 a tube but worth it to have it last. Just waiting on a couple more small items to arrive to set up my make shift paint booth and then it'll be in epoxy shortly thereafter. I'm really hoping to have the car in color by early spring. Might even get her on the road this year...might... :)

Made some good progress this week. Got the sanding all finished. Hung tarps around the perimeter of the car to contain primer dust. Taped up the car and applied a nice coat of epoxy primer to the shell.

So happy to have it all one color again. Been a long time coming. Still have to finish sanding the inside of the doors, hood and trunk lid and primer them but this was a significant milestone for me. Going to do the body work on the main body, then block sand and seal it up, then I can reinstall the rear differential and get the car back on its wheels. Things should start to move a little quicker now.

Also dropped off the radiator to be recored.

20210324_180749_HDR.jpg

20210324_180740_HDR.jpg

20210324_180734_HDR.jpg

20210324_180625.jpg

20210324_180613_HDR.jpg

20210324_180602_HDR.jpg

20210324_160841_HDR.jpg

20210324_115028_HDR.jpg

20210324_110319_HDR.jpg

20210324_110307_HDR.jpg

Made some good progress this week. Got the sanding all finished. Hung tarps around the perimeter of the car to contain primer dust. Taped up the car and applied a nice coat of epoxy primer to the shell.

So happy to have it all one color again. Been a long time coming. Still have to finish sanding the inside of the doors, hood and trunk lid and primer them but this was a significant milestone for me. Going to do the body work on the main body, then block sand and seal it up, then I can reinstall the rear differential and get the car back on its wheels. Things should start to move a little quicker now.

Also dropped off the radiator to be recored.

View attachment 1715713224

View attachment 1715713225

View attachment 1715713226

View attachment 1715713227

View attachment 1715713228

View attachment 1715713229

View attachment 1715713230

View attachment 1715713231

View attachment 1715713232

View attachment 1715713233
That's gotta be a really good feeling. How much primer did it take?

Thanks for the compliments. Been a lot of work to get to this point. Got a little body work done over the weekend. Got the roof skimmed and sanded. Looks pretty good. Think I may be able to get away with high coat and a block sand or two to get it where I want it. Same with the passenger quarter. Just have to focus on the 2 c pillars to clean them up and a little on each fender. The factory body work was less than impressive to begin with. I'm not going for perfection as this will be a driver, not a show car (you wouldn't think that with the teardown I've done). It'll be pretty clean as I'm too picky of my own work to settle for less, but not near to the level I've seen on some on here. I'm definitely no professional, but I'm getting better as I go. I'm hoping to have it back on its wheels in a week or so if possible. I'd really be happy to get it on the road this year, if funds and time allows.

Also, if I didn't say so before, I love how this Nason epoxy primer lays down. After I've finished each area with body work I've mixed up a small batch and sprayed away. Using a cheap husky spray gun and still goes on great. Only ever did one primer coat before and that was many many years ago. Still debating on trying my hand at putting color on the interior myself. Doesn't have to be perfect and would save me on final paint.

20210326_154739_HDR.jpg

20210326_154748.jpg

20210328_184609_HDR.jpg

20210328_184622_HDR.jpg

Thanks for the compliments. Been a lot of work to get to this point. Got a little body work done over the weekend. Got the roof skimmed and sanded. Looks pretty good. Think I may be able to get away with high coat and a block sand or two to get it where I want it. Same with the passenger quarter. Just have to focus on the 2 c pillars to clean them up and a little on each fender. The factory body work was less than impressive to begin with. I'm not going for perfection as this will be a driver, not a show car (you wouldn't think that with the teardown I've done). It'll be pretty clean as I'm too picky of my own work to settle for less, but not near to the level I've seen on some on here. I'm definitely no professional, but I'm getting better as I go. I'm hoping to have it back on its wheels in a week or so if possible. I'd really be happy to get it on the road this year, if funds and time allows.

Also, if I didn't say so before, I love how this Nason epoxy primer lays down. After I've finished each area with body work I've mixed up a small batch and sprayed away. Using a cheap husky spray gun and still goes on great. Only ever did one primer coat before and that was many many years ago. Still debating on trying my hand at putting color on the interior myself. Doesn't have to be perfect and would save me on final paint.

View attachment 1715715694

View attachment 1715715695

View attachment 1715715696

View attachment 1715715697
Oh yeah, from what I see you're definitely gonna shoot the interior coat yourself. Lol. Then you can decide if you are capable of tackling the rest of it.

Oh yeah, from what I see you're definitely gonna shoot the interior coat yourself. Lol. Then you can decide if you are capable of tackling the rest of it.
Definitely won't be doing the main body, I don't have the proper setup for that. Would need a good exhaust setup so I don't wind up with overspray everywhere that I would have to spend forever wet sanding out and buffing to get to look nice. Inside isn't as important as most of it will wind up covered anyway.

Just picked up the 2k primer and a can of guide coat today. Once I get the remainder of the body basically finished I can hand block the car to fine tune the finish and take care of any highs or lows.

Definitely won't be doing the main body, I don't have the proper setup for that. Would need a good exhaust setup so I don't wind up with overspray everywhere that I would have to spend forever wet sanding out and buffing to get to look nice. Inside isn't as important as most of it will wind up covered anyway.

Just picked up the 2k primer and a can of guide coat today. Once I get the remainder of the body basically finished I can hand block the car to fine tune the finish and take care of any highs or lows.

Got some good progress over the last few days. Pretty much got the back half of the car ready for high build primer. Just have one fender to finish. Used the evercoat metal glaze ultra for the finish work. I have to say it's worth the money. Sands really nice and goes on super smooth.

Block sanded the car and it came out really good. Hoping to finish the front fender then one more coat of epoxy. Then high build and block sand a couple times and sealer.

20210402_203256_HDR.jpg

20210402_203309_HDR.jpg

20210402_203314.jpg

20210402_203345_HDR.jpg

20210403_131001_HDR.jpg

20210403_131013_HDR.jpg

A little closer again... Still not getting the time I want at it but moving forward is good right? Got the front fender done and most of the car block sanded to hot with epoxy again to seal it all up before hitting it with 2K. Also did some more finish work around the rear glass opening. Hoping I can get it nice and smooth. It was a bit wavy after all the hammer and dolly work getting it back in shape when the replacement brave was welded back in. I'm probably too picky for my own good. This is only supposed to be a driver after all.

Got my replacement signal switch assembly thanks to slantsixdan.

Also picked up my newly record rad. I was lucky enough to find an old school shop local that still does this. They've been doing it for over 30 years (same company and same workers ) and the workmanship shows it. As slant six rads are difficult to find this was my best option. Still a 2 core but has the new higher efficiency core so should cool even better, and I wanted to keep the original look.

20210409_191516_HDR.jpg

20210409_191451_HDR.jpg

keep up the good work- you doing an amazing job! can't wait to see more progress pics.
Thanks. Getting there slowly but surely.

Got most of the block sanding done. Just finishing up touch ups around the tail lights and trunk opening. Then a little more hand standing in the tight spots, then a good cleaning and ready for next coat of epoxy followed by 2 K high build the next day.

Scored a couple NOS emblems for the pillars as well. Did a test fit on the panel I had to straighten. Fits great and should really pop against the green paint

20210415_122300_HDR.jpg

20210415_122311_HDR.jpg

20210415_122325_HDR.jpg

20210415_122336_HDR.jpg

20210415_122653_HDR.jpg

Finally got the car in final coat of epoxy today. Happy with how the body looks. Hoping to spray the 2K primer tomorrow or the day after, one quick block sand, then sealer. Starting to pick up pace a little now.

Happy with how the roof is looking ... Especially with how rough it was when I got it

20210417_161506_HDR.jpg

20210417_161635_HDR.jpg

20210417_161644_HDR.jpg

20210417_161650_HDR.jpg

20210417_161655_HDR.jpg

20210417_161702.jpg

20210417_161717_HDR.jpg

20210417_161750.jpg

20210417_161832_HDR.jpg

-
Back