1966 Barracuda

-

tony20110

Reaction score
Well I thought I'd start a thread on my new 1966 Barracuda. I hope I don't bore anyone. My first car, at 16, was a 64 Cuda and I'm now 44. I decided I wanted another and while I am not much of a mechanic I thought I'd take the plunge. I have my brother in law who is one signed on to help. We are going to start with a bare block 360 and see what happens. My goal is a reliable 350-400 hp daily driver with a 833 4 speed. We will see what the future holds. More on that stuff later.

After looking at a whole lotta rust buckets for $1500 I found what I consider an absolute steal. In Pa on craigslist I ran across a 66 with a super six for $2500. I went on tuesday and picked it up. It is a complete car. Only rust is now bondo patched on both back quarters, behind the wheels. The interior looks so good that I'm going to leave it untouched until everything else is done. Seats and headliner are excellent. Carpet is about an 8 on a scale to 10 and everything works inside.

My immediate items to work on are as follows: It needs a new exhaust. Nothing from the manifold to the pipe but has pipe and muffler from about the driver seat back. I am replacing the brake master cylinder and the shoes in the front but the drums are perfect. My main problem is the car went from a 1 barrel to a 2 so I need new linkage to the pedal. My brother is coming by on Monday to help with that. For now I'm just going to use my limited abilities and get to work on the front brakes and I guess I have to check on the gas and tank. I don't think it's been started in a long time.

I'm having a little trouble putting pics in the thread so here is a link to the library I started. Hope you enjoy.

http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/tony20110/library/1966 Barracuda?sort=2&page=1

A great find for sure, memikie Likie also :cheers:
I did my brakes and taking a picture first
sure helped me, get yourself a can of brake cleaner and wash everything down with
it over a drain pan, use rubber gloves and don't get that brake dust on you or breath it in :glasses7:

Keep us updated and enjoy :D

Color me jealous. That's what I paid for my '65 and it's a heap compared to your car. Nice score and welcome to FABO!

I was REALLY lucky. I searched craigslist nationwide and did it constantly. When this popped up I sent a deposit right when he answered the phone. No questions to ask no need to look at it.

Literally took off work a day later to go get it.

You´r welcome to FABO bro

007_zps2f0b22c8.jpg

Today I went to Maryland and picked up a 1973 360LA with 69,000 mi. It sounded and looked great. It was in a motorhome. I got it for $250. I think it was a good deal and a good base for my build. For an extra $100 I can pick up the 727 Trans that was with it. That looked great too. I was initially going to do a 4 speed but I'm leaning towards auto. I am shooting for 350-400hp. I'm guessing that trans will do fine.

Any thoughts?

Here's picks of the motor.

http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/tony20110/library/1966 Barracuda?sort=2&page=1

Man you did get a steal. I paid 3 for mine and it's not terrible but it's nowhere near that condition. Especially that interior! Motor looks like it'll do the trick. It's all tear down and rebuild anyways. Good luck man!

Nice find, way better than what I started with. Good luck with the build, I'll be following this one.

Just a quick update. When I got my baby it had recently been changed from a 1 barrel to a 2. This forces me to replace the rod throttle linkage to a cable system. Ex brother in law (mechanic)came by today and we are taking care of that small roadblock. After fixing that, replacing front shoes and a little exhaust work she will be tagged and drivable. Knock on wood lol.

In the meantime I have ordered a DA sander and stripping discs from Roark supplies. While enjoying the car and working on motor and trans I'll be sanding and priming.

I've added some pics of the 360 to my library during breakdown. Nothing unexpected other than a few angry bolts. I did find out however I have J heads. At least I see a J on them lol. Like I said I'm a newbie.

-
Back