1966 D Code Barracuda rare?

-

highwaystar

Reaction score
Just bought a Ex drag car. Been on the track since 1973. It's not cut up at all. No cage or tubs. It was green and called the Mystic Mopar on the doors.
It is an original D Code with a console 4 speed and was raced at US 30 dragway back in the day, running class I imagine. All the interior is pretty much stripped, so piecing that back together. It had some skinny 5 or 6" slots with 28" tall ET slicks that fit under it with the air shocks up.
I have 7 or 8" cragers with a small 215/70/14 tire now that is on it.

What is the widest 15" wheel that I could run to get close to that 28" tall tire, and what is the offset I would need?
15/7 with a 4.5. backspace is what I am thinking...

Are these rare? Are they more rare than the 66 Formula S?
Where these the ones rated at 275 H.P?

Thanks for any info.

First pre 68 A-body for me.

T.J.

My research is showing there was 2 D code options in 66. The 273 1 barrel 180 h.p, and the D code 273 4 barrel one with 235 h.p and 1 with 275 h.p.
My car was built in Hamarick I know. V.I.N. is BP29D062693738.
I knew about the 1966 D dart having 275 H.P. What was the deal on the barracuda's?

No 275hp engine in the Barracuda in '66. It was a Dart deal only. ALL 273s in 66 had the "D" engine designator in the VIN. The 275hp Darts were clearly known by the start of the VIN, "LO" instead of "LP" for a standard GT (both cars had the same trim level).

Thanks for the info Jim.
Were they available with the 235 H.P 4 barrel then?
And how do you tell if it was the 2 barrel or 4 barrel car?

15x8 wheels with 4.75 backspacing fit under these cars?

And how do you tell if it was the 2 barrel or 4 barrel car?

Yeah a 273-4 was available. Seems to me the 4 barrel would have the rectangular cutout in the rear valance for the large stainless steel exhaust extension. A 2 barrel would not.

For a 66 the only way to tell is on the fender tag (I don't have the code handy). The full bumper on those cars made them the ONLY Barracuda without a rear valence. 15x8 will fit, but you need short tires in the front, at least.

Here's the fender tag for lilcuda's car (66 273 4 barrel, four speed, discs, handling package, manual steering and brakes, console, tach, black vinyl top, AM radio, heater). I'm not sure what codes to what, though (except the "32").

Attachments

• lilcuda fender tag cropped so number blanked.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 752
Here's the fender tag for lilcuda's car (66 273 4 barrel, four speed, discs, handling package, manual steering and brakes, console, tach, black vinyl top, AM radio, heater). I'm not sure what codes to what, though (except the "32").

Man, somebody should clean & repaint that fender tag! Looks like crap up close. ;-)

At least all those years it was rode hard and put away wet it wasn't lost. I don't know what you did, but I think all I did was spray paint it over the original color back in 1981... In that case it looks pretty good.

It's got a little roll and mud in the rear wheel wells already. Thinking about going old school and radiusing the wheel well and putting 15x12 wheels on the back. What do you guys think of that? Maybe a JC Whitney after market wheel well flare to cover the tires.

At least all those years it was rode hard and put away wet it wasn't lost. I don't know what you did, but I think all I did was spray paint it over the original color back in 1981... In that case it looks pretty good.

When I did the underhood paint 20 some-odd years ago, I took the tag to the shop and turned pressure way down on the bead blast cabinet and very gently bead blasted it and painted it.

You might be thinking about the history of a lesser-known factory drag racing vehicle in 1966 called the D/Dart. The car could be ordered through a Dodge dealer as a Super Stock package and was designed for racing in the D/S (D Stock) class at NHRA, AHRA, and NASCAR drag strips. Plymouth did not offer a factory assembled equivalent.

"The 1966 Dodge D/Dart was a Factory Dart package built solely for drag racing. The 273 v8 was rated at 275hp and weighing in at just over 2900 lbs. The car qualified for NHRA's D/Stock category.

Dodge's normally aspired high performance 273 was rated at 235hp. The extra 40hp the D/Dart produced was basic hotrodding. Off the speedshop shelf bolt on's included Racer Brown valve springs, a Camcraft 284-degree .500" lift cam, Doug's Headers, and a Holley 4160 bolted to the stock intake. All were equipped with the A-833 4 Speed and a Hurst shifter, Weber clutch components, and an 8 3/4 Suregrip with 4.86 gears. Unavailable for this car were air conditioning and a warranty. There were no external badging or markings to note the D/Dart package over a regular Dart GT.

The picture in the 1966 Car Craft article was of a white Dart GT with Cragar S/S mag wheels. They tested the car at 14.33 @ 92.21 mph.

This superstock D/Dart package is identified on these seldom seen cars by VIN number and data plate. The cars were Dart GTs 1966 cars and are certified by decoding the aforementioned as done by expert Galen Govier.

These cars have a VIN that begins LO23. The order includes the following sales codes: 699 - Special Order (Super Stock Dart); 409 - Special Order Axle; 364 - Super Stock; 624 - heavy-duty suspension; 32 - engine code; 554 - delete rear seat belts; 393 - four speed transmission; 21 - 6.95 X 14 BSW rayon 2-ply tires; 408 -Sure Grip; P4H - trim code (red); WW1 - paint code (white).

What no pictures.....There were 1,818,3,107,or 3,702 with a 4 speed depending on what 273 it is.So yes it is fairly rare!

You might be thinking about the history of a lesser-known factory drag racing vehicle in 1966 called the D/Dart. The car could be ordered through a Dodge dealer as a Super Stock package and was designed for racing in the D/S (D Stock) class at NHRA, AHRA, and NASCAR drag strips. Plymouth did not offer a factory assembled equivalent.

"The 1966 Dodge D/Dart was a Factory Dart package built solely for drag racing. The 273 v8 was rated at 275hp and weighing in at just over 2900 lbs. The car qualified for NHRA's D/Stock category.

Dodge's normally aspired high performance 273 was rated at 235hp. The extra 40hp the D/Dart produced was basic hotrodding. Off the speedshop shelf bolt on's included Racer Brown valve springs, a Camcraft 284-degree .500" lift cam, Doug's Headers, and a Holley 4160 bolted to the stock intake. All were equipped with the A-833 4 Speed and a Hurst shifter, Weber clutch components, and an 8 3/4 Suregrip with 4.86 gears. Unavailable for this car were air conditioning and a warranty. There were no external badging or markings to note the D/Dart package over a regular Dart GT.

The picture in the 1966 Car Craft article was of a white Dart GT with Cragar S/S mag wheels. They tested the car at 14.33 @ 92.21 mph.

This superstock D/Dart package is identified on these seldom seen cars by VIN number and data plate. The cars were Dart GTs 1966 cars and are certified by decoding the aforementioned as done by expert Galen Govier.

These cars have a VIN that begins LO23. The order includes the following sales codes: 699 - Special Order (Super Stock Dart); 409 - Special Order Axle; 364 - Super Stock; 624 - heavy-duty suspension; 32 - engine code; 554 - delete rear seat belts; 393 - four speed transmission; 21 - 6.95 X 14 BSW rayon 2-ply tires; 408 -Sure Grip; P4H - trim code (red); WW1 - paint code (white).

Here' several D/Darts at the Seattle Mopar show in June

Attachments

• DDart.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 517
  • DDart Trans AM.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 561
  • LO23.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 492
It's got a little roll and mud in the rear wheel wells already. Thinking about going old school and radiusing the wheel well and putting 15x12 wheels on the back. What do you guys think of that? Maybe a JC Whitney after market wheel well flare to cover the tires.

Mike Ritz move the arch up and flared some. Notice the relationship between the top wheel arch and the gas cap opening...

k-medium.jpg

l.jpg

2763099672_54a8cd5df0.jpg

CC-39-013-800.jpg

It's your car but I would not do the flairs. Make a radius and mini tub it, but I think the flairs will kill the look. If you mini tub it and repair the quarter I think that might be the best look! My 2 cents.

Attachments

• NastyNick.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 451
  • Jerrys_65_Barracuda.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 430
-
Back