1966 Factory V8 Valiant Signet Restoration For My Other Daughter

-
A little epoxy primer from last weekend dabbed on with a finger and rubber glove on the bare metal and we are done... Nice I had the original grounding strap for the lines around the rubbler hose.

DSC_0033.jpg
DSC_0034.jpg
DSC_0035.jpg
DSC_0036.jpg

Painted the inner door uppers Automotive Arts Motocryl single stage black. Got the rear spring shackles mocked up and ready to install the new 6 leaf springs.... if UPS does not lose them again.... Front end is all mocked up... Had a mess up with the polyurethane lower bushing... The LCA pins were so beat up that they had beat off their old bushing sleeves so they are too loose in the bushing... guess I order Firm Feel greasable pins. The gear box is cleaned/greased/resealed with new bearings using the Firm Feel kit. One of the lower ball joints did not come with a rubber boot seal... bummer. Tomorrow working on the rear axle.... If I get the new axle shafts and the springs come in she will be on wheels next weekend!!!!

DSC_0023.jpg
DSC_0024.jpg
DSC_0025.jpg
DSC_0026.jpg
DSC_0027.jpg
DSC_0028.jpg
DSC_0029.jpg
DSC_0030.jpg
DSC_0031.jpg
DSC_0032.jpg

Painted the inner door uppers Automotive Arts Motocryl single stage black. Got the rear spring shackles mocked up and ready to install the new 6 leaf springs.... if UPS does not lose them again.... Front end is all mocked up... Had a mess up with the polyurethane lower bushing... The LCA pins were so beat up that they had beat off their old bushing sleeves so they are too loose in the bushing... guess I order Firm Feel greasable pins. The gear box is cleaned/greased/resealed with new bearings using the Firm Feel kit. One of the lower ball joints did not come with a rubber boot seal... bummer. Tomorrow working on the rear axle.... If I get the new axle shafts and the springs come in she will be on wheels next weekend!!!!

View attachment 1715892506 View attachment 1715892507 View attachment 1715892508 View attachment 1715892509 View attachment 1715892510 View attachment 1715892511 View attachment 1715892512 View attachment 1715892513 View attachment 1715892514 View attachment 1715892515
This part looks familiar! I went under car so I didn't bang the crap out of mine before I paint.

This part looks familiar! I went under car so I didn't bang the crap out of mine before I paint.

The K frame will come back out once the engine/trans get here and it will all come together on my dolly then put in from the bottom. This is just to get it on wheels so I can start building the interior. My rotissoire is not strong enough to build out the whole car on.

I am so close to having nothing to blast anymore! Brake hardware blasted and restored, brake pedal and jack the same. Put brakes on the daughters CRV with her help and then the front moved in and the wind is whipping... I am done for the day.

DSC_0023.jpg
DSC_0024.jpg
DSC_0025.jpg
DSC_0026.jpg

What to do on a rainy Sunday evening... try to figure out how to put your bucket seats back together.... Still don't know where the big spring is connected...

DSC_0023.jpg
DSC_0024.jpg

When items are restored on the shelf it goes real fast. Pirate Jack screwed up on the master cylinder. That won’t work. A little mock up for inspiration.

119E7399-BCCB-4C18-AEFF-BAC591EC0B64.jpeg
57117C7B-3642-44DF-BADE-1DDD4ADDE11E.jpeg
2DA48E2A-E9D1-4926-B661-CA0ED29071BE.jpeg
0DC32A6D-556C-44F1-B68B-8DFED924FBDF.jpeg
50573C3E-35A8-4665-B9B9-EF968DAC2549.jpeg
24CF8F59-AD76-43FC-8B45-FE30A7601B52.jpeg

Do you have enough room for the big Bendix dual diaphragm booster? I have never seen one of them in an A Body. Fantastic build otherwise, Hell-all of your builds are the best! I wish I could get stuff done like you do.

Wow, Jim! What a job you've done! This is going to be better than the Dart.

Do you have enough room for the big Bendix dual diaphragm booster? I have never seen one of them in an A Body. Fantastic build otherwise, Hell-all of your builds are the best! I wish I could get stuff done like you do.

i hope so. It’s 8” diameter. I know the 73* booster hits the valve cover

The A Body 67-72 Midland dual diaphragm are the smaller diameter. The 67-69 appear to be a little shorter and could be smaller in diameter than the 70-72. Hopefully the one you have works for you. I think Harmon Brakes has rebuilt units for sale. I'm getting ready to send one in to get rebuilt. They show pictures on their website. Good luck!

The A Body 67-72 Midland dual diaphragm are the smaller diameter. The 67-69 appear to be a little shorter and could be smaller in diameter than the 70-72. Hopefully the one you have works for you. I think Harmon Brakes has rebuilt units for sale. I'm getting ready to send one in to get rebuilt. They show pictures on their website. Good luck!

there’s also the big block offset plate that could be used. I am sure the 73+ is at least 10”, I’ll measure one tonight

Do you mean, like the Hemi brackets? That Bendix is a large booster. The 67-72 use the offset brackets to get it up off of the valve cover. I'm sure you know more than I do. Keep us updated, if it works or what you have to do. I read your post's every night.

Do you mean, like the Hemi brackets? That Bendix is a large booster. The 67-72 use the offset brackets to get it up off of the valve cover. I'm sure you know more than I do. Keep us updated, if it works or what you have to do. I read your post's every night.

I dry fitted a 73+ before removing the engine. It just hit the valve cover. It looked like with an 8” it would clear. The original was quite a pancake!

I helped a friend put a 392 Hemi in a 58 Plymouth, "his Christine car" We did a disc brake swap, and he wanted power brakes. He had a 73 A Body booster and it hit the valve cover. What to do? We found an early A Body 67-72 booster, it fit but it was close.

I helped a friend put a 392 Hemi in a 58 Plymouth, "his Christine car" We did a disc brake swap, and he wanted power brakes. He had a 73 A Body booster and it hit the valve cover. What to do? We found an early A Body 67-72 booster, it fit but it was close.

They look like they are close to 8” based on photos relative to the master cylinder bolts.

I am actually THRILLED you said Bendix! I spent extra $$$ to get the Aftermarket one that mimicked the Bendix!

I have heard that Pirate Jacks reproductions are a little shorter and just a little different, but as close as a person can get. I haven't ever seen one or seen one beside a real Bendix.

Just lots of assembly today. If you have all the parts and have restored/rebuild the subassemblies it goes together as easy as at the factory... Installed new 7 leaf HD springs which should solve the tire rubbing problem we have on the Dart.

DSC_0023.jpg
DSC_0024.jpg
DSC_0025.jpg
DSC_0026.jpg
DSC_0027.jpg
DSC_0028.jpg
DSC_0029.jpg
DSC_0030.jpg
DSC_0031.jpg
DSC_0032.jpg

Don't be staring at my trunk! The trunk mat was for a '66 and really the '63 I put in the Dart was closer but I can live with it. The jack I got out of the '66 in Northern Az is not the right jack.. this one is for 15" wheels. I can make it work here and look stock. I finallly found the dimple for the resistor on a V8! Tomorrow is working on the front end so maybe I can get it drilled and installed. If all the stars are aligned it will roll out of the garage on tires tomorrow. Call Coker and the backorder date was a fantasy. Unsure when the Magnum 500's will get here.

DSC_0033.jpg
DSC_0034.jpg
DSC_0035.jpg
DSC_0036.jpg
DSC_0037.jpg

2 days of getting up and down off the floor was enough.. today I sat on a stool and gave the Valiant its face back... I tell you what those $150 bolt kits from Year One are worth the cost (and the wait time these days). It was so nice having all the correct new hardware to put this together. I have never done this before and will be doing the same on the next one, I never plan to do. Mocking up the factory AC... will be picking up the rest of the correct V8 under hood parts Friday afternoon. I have new desiccant and plan to cut this dryer open, replace the desiccant and weld it back up... stay tuned.

DSC_0033.jpg
DSC_0034.jpg
DSC_0035.jpg
DSC_0036.jpg
DSC_0037.jpg
DSC_0038.jpg
DSC_0039.jpg
DSC_0040.jpg
DSC_0041.jpg
DSC_0042.jpg

Last edited:
-