1967 Cuda FB project

-
Sent my axles to Moser to have them resplined 6" shorter. Now I need to order coil overs. Anybody have any input on what spring rates to go for? Approx. 3,000 lbs. (figured heavy a little.):D

:burnout:

No idea how they would compare, but for what it's worth my 04 Viper with aftermarket coil overs has 800 lb/in rear springs and 500 lb/in front springs and weighs 3200-3400 with me. Damping and weight balance has a lot to do with that though. The factory rates were something like half those numbers, but with different damping. Suspension travel and application will also play into that.

Sent my axles to Moser to have them resplined 6" shorter. Now I need to order coil overs. Anybody have any input on what spring rates to go for? Approx. 3,000 lbs. (figured heavy a little.):D

:burnout:

I've got QA1 DS502 shocks and 170lb springs and I think they might be a little much, but until I get all the weight back in it I really won't be 100% sure.

Woah!! That K-member/rack setup looks pretty sweet. That sway bar is mighty stout! I didn't know they made them in a 2" diameter! LOL!!

Sway bar is 1&1/2" Hotchkis unit. Fit like a glove.:D
Took the front suspension all apart to check over for any missed welds-issues on any of the pieces before blasting and powder coating.
View attachment WP_20150403_001.jpg
View attachment WP_20150403_002.jpg
Hopefully get to coat all these parts this weekend. Trying to decide between coating the pieces black or a lime green color. Just to be different.:glasses7:
Shocks showed up today also!!! WOOHOOO!!!!!:blob::blob: I'll get some pics of them tomorrow.

BTW, I ordered one of those FABO shirts too.:D

Sandblasted the front end components this morning. Some minor cleaning up and will be ready to powder coat. I am on the fence about which way to go for the finish on the bottom of the car. Paint it body color and do the suspension pieces in black or finish the bottom of the car black with green suspension pieces......:violent1:
View attachment WP_20150404_003.jpg
View attachment WP_20150404_002.jpg
View attachment WP_20150404_001.jpg
The body will be green. Either snakeskin green or sublime green. Both choices will have a quarter billboard "HEMI" ala 70-71 Cuda. And some black on the hood. No chrome.
What do you guys think?

It'll look good either way, but now that I'm thinking about all the custom work you've done to the suspension it'd be nice to highlight it in green.

It'll look good either way, but now that I'm thinking about all the custom work you've done to the suspension it'd be nice to highlight it in green.

That's what I was thinking too. Crap!!!:protest: Undecided...........:protest: Sway bar is already black....AAAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Well, I am committed now. :D The spindles, front sway bar, rear end housing, and bottom of car will be black. The rest, will be a lime green. Got pics of some of the parts. I will get some more pics of the rest. Jebus, this means I'll have to paint the trans and rest of the stuff under the car too.
Some parts done.
View attachment WP_20150404_005.jpg
Some small parts.
View attachment WP_20150404_006.jpg
Some parts ready to bake.
View attachment WP_20150404_004.jpg
2 lb bag of green powder.
View attachment WP_20150404_007.jpg
More later.

Some more pics of parts partially assembled. I think they turned out pretty good.
I don't know why the green appears a different shade in some pics. It's pretty bright green. Somewhere between sublime and sassy grass. In case some of you haven't figured it out, sublime is my color.:glasses7:
View attachment WP_20150404_008.jpg
View attachment WP_20150404_009.jpg

Tomorrow I will mock up rear end to put in shock mounts. If it's really nice out, I will sandblast bottom of car.
Getting kind of antsy now, can't wait to get Cuda back on it's own feet!:blob:

Attachments

• WP_20150404_011.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 313
  • WP_20150404_010.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 324
Hmmm... I do like the idea of having the specialized components stand out instead of disappearing beneath the car. I'm not sure about the K-member itself. My son had been kicking around the idea of painting his K red. I was afraid it might be too much. I do like the various bars and arms bright though.

Are you using a household oven or do you have your own powder coat oven?
What powder are you using? Is it Cardinal or Eastwood.
I want to do my own powder coating but I don't have the space for the oven yet.

Are you using a household oven or do you have your own powder coat oven?
What powder are you using? Is it Cardinal or Eastwood.
I want to do my own powder coating but I don't have the space for the oven yet.

I actually have 2 ovens. One is just a regular electric house oven and that is all it's used for.
A few years ago I picked up a bigger unit that is about 2' x 4' x 4' inside. Big enough to do a stripped motorcycle frame. I buy my powders online from a couple big powder manufacturers. The original powder kit was from eastwood. Their powders are good enough but you can find cheaper stuff in bulk.:cheers:

Hmmm... I do like the idea of having the specialized components stand out instead of disappearing beneath the car. I'm not sure about the K-member itself. My son had been kicking around the idea of painting his K red. I was afraid it might be too much. I do like the various bars and arms bright though.

Yes, I think the K member will be black like the rear end housing. Engine block and trans will be orange.

The axles from Moser show up Wednesday!!!!:blob:

Using a T-56 trans makes for a bigger, beefier u joint than the old smaller u joints on the A and B body 8&3/4 rear ends. I was trying to find one of those "offset sized" u joints so I could finish the driveshaft.
I was talking to my brother one day and he said, "why don't you try one of the yokes from a Viper rear?" I said, "I bet they have a different spline on them for all the torque." He says, "what you got to loose?" ............ I tried one, slid right on! That doesn't happen very often!!!!:blob:
View attachment WP_20150405_001.jpg
Here's the QA1 shocks I bought for the Cuda.
View attachment WP_20150405_002.jpg
Mock up for the shock bracket placement.
View attachment WP_20150405_003.jpg
Back to the shop. Have to build a mount.:D

Well, spent the afternoon narrowing the stock double wall shock mount that connects between the frame rails. The mount has a tube inside about 3" long between the two pieces of floor for strength. I narrowed the tube to 1/2" and moved half the brace back towards the trunk. On A-bodies, the upper shock mount is a stud that goes through a cross member section with a tube sandwiched between sheet metal. Now, that stud is 2&1/2" shorter to make room for the bigger diameter coil overs. Sorry, didn't take any pictures. I get too into building and forget. I will take pics of the finished brace tomorrow.:D

No work on Cuda today. Ran out of gas for the welder so couldn't finish shock brace. Will do some in the morning. Brother showed up and worked on another brothers jeep POS. lol
Life goes on.:D

No work on Cuda today. Ran out of gas for the welder so couldn't finish shock brace. Brother showed up and worked on another brothers jeep POS. lol
Life goes on.:D

- - - Would that be another brother from another mother brother?

-
Back