1970 340 Duster rare x car.

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kind of amazed how many quick to prove someone wrong in here. Vin number is VS29H0B185855.

Not trying to prove you wrong, just asking for verification on something no one hear has seen or heard of.....and you are on a site dedicated to a-bodies. With the combined knowledge base on this site, I think we have most of (closer to all of) our bases covered. But then again when it comes to Chrysler we can't say that it's definately not possible.....we just want to see some documentation. Once we get that, then thats one more thing we can add to our cumulative knowledge base.

Maybe Judy, Arlen, Herb, Buddy, etc. might know something about this...

I'm sure there'd be some funny stories coming out of those conversations, especially from Arlen.

Taking pics now,fender tag is gone. Have talked to a few collectors of mopars. Another thing to show a difference is the aluminum shifter housing says hurst on it and is permanent on the a833.Kind of amazed how many quick to prove someone wrong in here. Hot rod magazine did an article on the 340x engine ill post it too. Vin number is VS29H0B185855.

Please understand that internet folk stories are a dime a dozen. This forum has some of the most dedicated A-body hobbyists in the world. If these guys haven't heard of it, there is reason to be skeptical. Not saying that your story is BS, but be ready to back it up. Many of us are here to learn too.

I've never heard of an "X" car. I've heard of an X-headed 340. Not common, but not unique. #'s matching cars aren't common anymore either, but again, not unique. You may not have seen any #'s matching X-headed stamped 340's, but I have. Again, I have not seen a lot, but I have seen several over the years, mainly at car shows in my area. You just need to clarify and provide as much documentation and pics as you can. This is the internet age...most sensible people have a reason to be skeptical.

There are no hemispherical heads for a LA small block engine. They are not baby hemis. Nor did they ever come with domed pistons. This sounds like a typical 340 duster that someone built an engine in, and then conjured up a BS story to go with it..

Nothing wrong with an ordinary 1970 H code Duster with a 4 speed.
25 years ago they where all over the place, today they are getting hard to find for purchase. If it's been modified like it sounds yours is, in my opinion that will hurt the value. Missing fender tag, build sheet, and overall condition also play a big part in value. However if the car has correct numbers matching engine and trans that would be a plus.

edit:
Looks nice shouldn't be hard to sell at right price. Would be a lot of money to restore back to original condition. Looks like a nice car to drive and enjoy as is.

Pics are up on first page. I've never heard of a DusterX, but hmmm I don't know jack

This car is factory stock. Rode in it at 11 years old have owned it since 15. I am mid forties had added everything to it myself. It was stock to the oem air cleaner have all parts that were removed. Had to pull heads broke a spring found out it had 4 line valve keepers triple springs. And huge valves as big or bigger than a set of 202 small block chevy . I was told they made these as grudge cars to show chevy that 1 hp/cu.in. was a serious understatement for what it could do. It was also referenced as an ls-6 killer. And it has done that numerous times. Its no buffalo and no story i have it it sits here all number matching. Back in the 80's i broke a fork in trans. Took it to local shop he said it pulls up big block superbird with altered colum gear for small block. Cost alot to fix and special order to get oem ratio. And the hurst casting on trans being permanent baffeled them. But also was told later that is a way to tell its authenticity. How many a833's had that ? Cant unbolt it. Its a part of the trans.

WOW I MEAN WOW

Can it be so, the missing link to the wonderful world of OZ.

I got $ 100.00 to spare 4 a gr8 story.

LOL LMFAO

Post the link to the hot rod article you mentioned. Not to be rude, I don't think we understand what you are trying to tell us.

Unbelievable. I can't think of anything to say or comment to any of your claims except you are 110% wrong on your theory. And this car is just another repainted Duster 340. Baby Hemi my ***.

To be honest, IF its a numbers matching 340 4-speed, list it as so, show or have proof, place a price and hope for the best. Leave the "added xtras" out.
just tryin to help

when you say factory stock something like this comes to mind.

When you first posted it sounded like the car was in original unrestored condition. When I think original this is what I'm thinking. Even this car has some modification but for the most part it's original although it has been restored.

Attachments

• 70dusterfs7.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 555
  • 70dusterfs.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 564
  • 70dusterfs9.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 556
i THINK MAY BE SPAM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HAHA, YOU GOT US ALL, NOW TELL US YOUR REAL NAME. ARE YOU GOERGE CLOONEY?

Unbelievable. I can't think of anything to say or comment to any of your claims except you are 110% wrong on your theory. And this car is just another repainted Duster 340. Baby Hemi my ***.

The baby hemi reference you can google that so dont mock me for what chrysler decided to call a few select 340 engines. And its not repainted it was primed 25 yrs ago by me. The trans reference on hurst casting came from owner of 68 gt hemi dart. One of 55 made sold many years ago for 85,000. Shocked to hear the eoubt. One thing i have learned over many years of mopars is chrysler made alot of low number,special,order cars and have yet to see one with this package. Worked for california hot rod parts in 80's and seen a 41 willys with exact motor,they said it came out of 1970 340 duster factor x motor,only one ive seen. If im wrong show me another a833 with hurst alum. Casting on trans. As part of trans.

you have a hot rodded duster, and a poor one at that, a lot of modifications done to it, nothing on it is the way it left the dealer showroom, that said if its numbers matching it still is worth around $4,000 even with the missing fender tag. BTW Chevy had plenty of 327's and 350's putting out 350 and 375 hp in the 60's look under the hood of most vettes. There were no special X or dusters or 340 engines period...

The baby hemi reference you can google that so dont mock me for what chrysler decided to call a few select 340 engines.

The Baby Hemi reference wasn't for just a few select 340's, it was for all 340's. The reference was made because like the Hemi it was only offered in a High Performance version, no economy version. The 340 is to small blocks what the Hemi is to big blocks.....hence the reference Baby Hemi. Now days if you say baby hemi, its usually a reference to the Red Ram hemi's.

340's also called "Baby Rumble Guts," by a few Chrysler guys back in the day. Engineering pet names, kinda funny

In post number 5, you tell us its all orig with nothing added, then you talk about how you had it all apart and its got triple springs, dome pistons, and I got compleatly lost trying to figure out your big block superbird transmission story, at this point I have to figure its all a joke, you got a pic of a typical boy-racer hotrodded duster that needs a full resto... The cost of a proper restoration, will excede the value of the car when its done.....

Your car is one of 24,187 Duster 340's made in 1970. It has a 340, with stock X heads.

If you still think its super special then hurry up and get it on a trailer. Then head over to the Mopar Nats in Columbus today, as its Duster tribute this year and they want "special" Dusters to display.

Ohh and you need a price, per forum rules. Try removing the rear seat and look for a Broadcast sheet stuck in the springs. ALL special notes or packaging will be listed on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back