1970 340 Duster rare x car.

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
This car is factory stock. Rode in it at 11 years old have owned it since 15. I am mid forties had added everything to it myself. It was stock to the oem air cleaner have all parts that were removed. Had to pull heads broke a spring found out it had 4 line valve keepers triple springs. And huge valves as big or bigger than a set of 202 small block chevy . I was told they made these as grudge cars to show chevy that 1 hp/cu.in. was a serious understatement for what it could do. It was also referenced as an ls-6 killer. And it has done that numerous times. Its no buffalo and no story i have it it sits here all number matching. Back in the 80's i broke a fork in trans. Took it to local shop he said it pulls up big block superbird with altered colum gear for small block. Cost alot to fix and special order to get oem ratio. And the hurst casting on trans being permanent baffeled them. But also was told later that is a way to tell its authenticity. How many a833's had that ? Cant unbolt it. Its a part of the trans.

Really!

I like the ORIGINAL yellow paint bleeding through on the firewall!!!!!!:bs::error:

If there is an article in Hot rod.... where is it. I have a feeling so much smoke has been blown up our asses that we look like we hava a bad ring.

Trust me I am NOT trying to bust your bubble....I am simply presenting what I know to be the case re Chrysler/Plymouth /Dodge prototypes & special builds

I know a lil something after working at Chrysler parts as an inspector for over 10 years....we the inspectors had to personally check every part to print and hand delivered parts to lynch road and to highland park where most of the prototypes & special builds were made. Prototypes NEVER HAD PRODUCTION VIN tags or numbers from ANY assy plant..... they had prototype tags, period. For 20 some odd years were never sold to the general public, most of them were crushed, a very few escaped...a few went to Chrysler sponsored race teams..
Here is an example of a prototype tag ZZZ9ZZBOOOOZ1..... I have zero Idea what any of those number stood for...but I do know they were NOT able to get Titles and later had to be "re-tagged" at highland park before Michigan would issue a title

Your vin is from Hamtramck assy and has a sequence number meaning it was built ON the LINE, with everybody else's Duster 340

another rarity, the infamous BLUE 8 3/4 package,only 1 or 2 of them that I know of :tongue7:

PS....
NONE of the PROTOTYPES or corporate/Special builds were ever painted anything but black primer, with a small white number on the hood & drivers door...and typically they had about 20 rolls of duct tape & black cardboard all over them to prevent spying eyes & cameras from knowing what they really looked like.

If it was a '71, it would be on of the rare 340 wedge block Dusters.
Hey O.P., do you have pictures of the transmission with hurst on it or is it just the shifter handle?
We would seriously like to document this rarity.

Amazing what some people say in response to this. Nothing added but valve covers headers braided hoses chrome acc. Have every piece and if you know thats a few hours in our shop to change that. I will lift it today post pic of hurst casting on trans. And i think i. Know the difference from hurst comp plus shifter handle. And mounting bracket. And we all should know for a fact they didnt produce 10,000 plus 1970 340 4 speed x head factory dusters. Also tag on rear end says 3:54 ratio. From what i have seen that was also special order 3:55 was one of two factory options but on here seems like a few say it cant be but have no numbers to back it up. I have been around this car since it had 28,000 miles and nothing had been altered except paint. It was factory electronic dist. Also changed it to points back in 80's and cant keep stock chrysler dist. together they disinigrate above 6000 rpms i have a pile to prove it. I have yet to see a stock internals 340 run with this one. Year one has article also that with a 750 cfm holley 10:5:1 x head 340 with headers dynos at 400 hp. Or more true fact . I will post pic of trans bracket. Still have yet heard anyone on here say they have seen that. I have been painting cars for 20 yrs and find it funny to here that restoring a car back to original color is such an expense. Its finding all the original pieces that is tough and this car is complete. Right down to the oem air cleaner etc. We ard doing a 62 impala ss right now and complete restore of paint isnt a tenth of the cost of chrome emblems int. pieces etc.

Also it would not have came from the factory with electronic ignition in 1970, the more you post about this car, the more you apear to be clueless.

Amazing what some people say in response to this. Nothing added but valve covers headers braided hoses chrome acc. Have every piece and if you know thats a few hours in our shop to change that. I will lift it today post pic of hurst casting on trans. And i think i. Know the difference from hurst comp plus shifter handle. And mounting bracket. And we all should know for a fact they didnt produce 10,000 plus 1970 340 4 speed x head factory dusters. Also tag on rear end says 3:54 ratio. From what i have seen that was also special order 3:55 was one of two factory options but on here seems like a few say it cant be but have no numbers to back it up. I have been around this car since it had 28,000 miles and nothing had been altered except paint. It was factory electronic dist. Also changed it to points back in 80's and cant keep stock chrysler dist. together they disinigrate above 6000 rpms i have a pile to prove it. I have yet to see a stock internals 340 run with this one. Year one has article also that with a 750 cfm holley 10:5:1 x head 340 with headers dynos at 400 hp. Or more true fact . I will post pic of trans bracket. Still have yet heard anyone on here say they have seen that. I have been painting cars for 20 yrs and find it funny to here that restoring a car back to original color is such an expense. Its finding all the original pieces that is tough and this car is complete. Right down to the oem air cleaner etc. We ard doing a 62 impala ss right now and complete restore of paint isnt a tenth of the cost of chrome emblems int. pieces etc.

I can't wait to see the pics of the trans, aluminum mount etc.
I never said that your car wasn't a real factory oddball one of one, i just would like to see the pics of the parts that you say were factory to prove this point. It will only help with your sale and provide a wealth of information for us all that need to know about these true factory unique cars. Documentation is necessary including sharp pictures so you can maximize your investment.
Clear pictures would be great and go a long way to help your sale of this obviously very rare car......
I honestly think people on here are trying to say bad things about yourcar to devalue it so they can make a lot of money off of it and cash in at your expense.
Any a body guy who really knows his stuff has heard of the 340 x Duster package, it is a well guarded secret.
And to further enhance your sale, would you consider painting it and installing all of the factory equipment back on so we could appreciate this car as built? In your own words, it wouldn't cost much at all to do this and who else other than you are qualified to do this restoration for all of the mopar world to benefit from your obviously rare car.
I think it should belong in a museum where future a body and mopar affectionados can see it.
I look foreward to seeing it in all of the major mopar magazines as well.
What a great day it is in the a body world, i just wish i was financially able to buy this car off you, however, it would be a waste to drive a car as historic as this car obviously is.
I now know why you haven't offered a price on the car, as it is priceless.
Thank you sir.

So far you've established that you have a 70 Duster 340. You keep bringing up the "references", but haven't shown or posted a link to any of it. And as far as Hurst being cast into the tail housing, thats something that could just be a replacement tail housing. Passon makes aluminum tail housing along with just about every other part you could want for an 833. Speaking for myself, I would like to see some of this "documentation" that shows that this is really something other than a standard production 70 340 Duster that someone hotrodded. I think it would be really cool if it is something that Chrysler really did. So please show me (or post links to) some documentation or "reference" materials that support your claims.

And its not repainted it was primed 25 yrs ago by me.

contradiction going on here..Primer is paint..you cannot say something is "factory: unless nothing has been done to it exterior or otherwise. and I have dug through about 5 different sites and have yet to see any other "factory" paint jobs like that....nice mismatched wheels btw..were those special ordered that way from the factory? and the door jams in the pic are blue, not black like the rest of the car

[You are wrong it did come factory with electronic ign. Thats no secret title says 70 wiring harness says electronic ign. All original still have dist too. Taking pics now of hurst casting and not a aftermarket shaft its cast and and hurst is aluminum and is perm part of trans. And has matching vin number on trans. stQUOTE=replicaracer43;1483145]Also it would not have came from the factory with electronic ignition in 1970, the more you post about this car, the more you apear to be clueless.[/QUOTE]

all 340`s in 1970 had "X" heads lmao........Nothing special about the 340 "X" head" engine. So where can we see this car???

Two more questions.
Is the amp wire factory too?
What is the big deal about a 340 with X heads?????

Instead of rambling about it, can you please post a price, as i am always in the market for another a-body

You know what, forget the price. You just lost my attention when you say the title says it had factory electronic ignition!.

You, my friend, need to let go of that crack-pipe !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back