"1970 Pro Touring Dart Build"

-
This is how we roll at the shop.

Grillin on the Grill. :D

2012-04-29_20-45-31_359.jpg

Ran out of propane and had to go to plan B.

Hey! No fair practicing for the Nat's grill-off ahead of time!

I WISH! I'll come hang out with you guys there at some point. I tend to geek out at car events and see everything through my camera view finder or the bottom of a bottle, depends on the type of event.

HemiDenny's past Nat's barbecuing ritual (early Saturday am):

1. Find someones defunct gas grill (see prime example above).

2. Gut the burners etc and lay in a steel panel to cover the holes.

3. Dispatch Weeb to yon grocery store to purchase the largest bag
of charcoal they have available for sale.

4. Lay entire unopened bag of charcoal in the grill, rip open the top
of the bag and empty a whole can of charcoal lighter fluid inside.

5. Light and briefly view at a safe distance until you are assurred that
no cars were singed and nobody was going to call the fire department.

6. Go to the swap meet for at least 2 hours.

7. Return and grill your brains out for the rest of the day and evening.

More progress thanks to my buddy who runs the shop. (GCRods.com)
I've been mentally smoked this last week and the simplest of tasks seem to be daunting to me. Good thing hes there to poke fun of me and work as I spin in circles.

We got the motor mounted in the car and figured out the transmission mount.
Motormockup.jpg

motor-mounts.jpg

Had to do a little massaging to clear the A500 transmission.
massaged-for-42RH-transmission.jpg

Should have some more good progress this weekend.

sweet man. nice work so far. are you gonna have that fuel cell enclosed? not sure if i like the actual fuel cell exposed to out side of the car. notice how i made an inset for the tank to sit in on my build.

removing that crossmember really frees up room for that trans

looking forward to seeing your new trans mount/crossmember

The bottom of the fuel cell is 3/16th aluminum. I'm not to worried since its only 6" deep and its tucked pretty good.

Just read through your entire thread, and love the direction you're taking this.
Great work, BTW, although this comes from someone with very little technical abilities, so even welding is a mystery to me.
Keep the progress photos coming.

I have to agree, I have not been on the forum for a while, and just noticed what I have been missing. Very nice project. I am wishing I went this route with my Dart. I love the mini tub and the tires you got in. I only go a 265 without the tub, more tire lookes great. But it is all looking so great. I am getting excited for you. Great job. As hard as it may see, even if you dont feel like the end is near. Keep pushing little by little you will get to the end and love your results.

that 1-1/16" diameter sway bar hanging directly in front of the steering crossbar will add "the beef" to it. (I've seen the prototype....made of plastic and chicken wire)

Its better then Ford wire and bubble gum.

I'm at the shop trying to get motivated to do some work. Going home to watch a movie and just relax sounds tempting. But then I'd find myself on FABO and looking up car stuff anyway... Damn this cursed disease.

Guess I twisted my own arm to get to work.

Radiator mount is almost done. Just need some aluminum tabs off the tanks now to hold the top. The heater got mounted, the reliefs in the tunnel got patched and the upper shock mounts got installed.

2012-05-05_19-05-57_545.jpg

I was playing around with the panoramic setting on my cell phone. So no, my radiator isn't bent its the camera.
Panoramicradiator.jpg

On hold this week. Next Tuesday will probably be the earliest I'll make it back out there to work on stuff.
Which reminds me, I need to grab the radiator and fuel cell and bring them to my local tig welder.

What is your plan for the trunk floor? I was thinking with mine, having a square well to set my fuel cell into.

Thats right, now I remember. You read so many builds on here it is tough to remember sometimes.

Got the radiator and fuel cell back from the local tig welder so I can move forward with that stuff again.

Sorry for bugging you tonight Denny. I had always wondered where that piece belonged and thought I would see where it went during assembly. I thought it might have been a new fangled strut rod of some sort. It all became crystal clear after our conversation. I'll add that piece to my mental catalog of parts. :)
2012-05-15_19-45-13_586.jpg

Mocked up the passenger side so hopefully I can figure out if the wheels I want to use will fit or not.
Also have to come up with some UCA shims and cut the factory bump stop mount off.
2012-05-15_21-12-20_159.jpg

Working on our transmission mount plan.
One way is super clean but means cutting a chunk out of the frame to weld in a plate that has nuts welded to the back side of it.
The other is to create a mounting plate out of angle iron and gusset it.

Here is the tranny mount bar cut down to size.
2012-05-15_21-21-10_968.jpg

Got the radiator and fuel cell back from the local tig welder so I can move forward with that stuff again.

Sorry for bugging you tonight Denny. I had always wondered where that piece belonged and thought I would see where it went during assembly. I thought it might have been a new fangled strut rod of some sort. It all became crystal clear after our conversation. I'll add that piece to my mental catalog of parts. :)
2012-05-15_19-45-13_586.jpg

Mocked up the passenger side so hopefully I can figure out if the wheels I want to use will fit or not.
Also have to come up with some UCA shims and cut the factory bump stop mount off.
2012-05-15_21-12-20_159.jpg

Working on our transmission mount plan.
One way is super clean but means cutting a chunk out of the frame to weld in a plate that has nuts welded to the back side of it.
The other is to create a mounting plate out of angle iron and gusset it.

Here is the tranny mount bar cut down to size.
2012-05-15_21-21-10_968.jpg

beautiful crossmember.....elegant and effective!

not too many descriptions like that for a crossmember...keep it up

Sorry if it's already posted;Where did you get the rack and pinion,and what model etc?

555-60780....71-72 pinto rack and pinion.....................................Jegs........$199.99

-
Back