1970 Swinger 340 Hemi Orange 4 speed

-
Super nice work on your car. What color will it be?

Thanks for the compliment! It's going back to its original colour, which is EV2 (Hemi Orange) with a black bumble bee stripe and black interior. I'm putting it right back to original with the exception of a stroked 360 (motor will appear stock) since I don't have the original motor.

I love following your build. I'm envious of your metal working skills.

Thanks guys! I'm gonna try to do everything on this car from the garage. I might even get my dad to paint the exterior of the car in the garage as well. I can make a booth with some extra lighting, poly and a barn fan... We'll see when I get there. I think it would be neat to do everything in just a standard double car garage. (Except the engine machining of course) I know if my Dad paints and buffs the exterior it will come out flawless, I have no problem painting everywhere else but I don't want to chance doing the main body... At least not on this car. My red Daytona on the first page was painted in my Dad's garage and it came out perfect!

Tonight I got rid of the lead... They hide a lot of sin under it!

It seams like my pics shrunk? Did they change something on the site?

Pulled all my parts out of the spare bedroom!

Here's the new parts I picked up today... As usual everything looks perfect!

Nothing like the look and smell of new parts! Say, where did you get the new repo door VIN sticker? A few years ago, I found a guy online who made perfect reproduction under fender VIN tags providing you could send him a photo and all the coded info from your old rusted one.

http://www.ecsautomotive.com

^ These guys made my door sticker and it's exact! I'm not sure who remakes the fender tag?

Started cutting today, but didn't get everything removed... I will finish it up tomorrow and test fit the new quarter. (Burned up my last spot weld cutter)

Here's a few pics of the rust!

Quarter looks perfect, let's hope it fits like the other one did!

Fender fits great as well. (Not bolted on)

This quarter needs the same repair as the drivers side did. Lower flange is nowhere near the trunk extension lip. (Quarter needs to be cut on the edges and folded up more and then welded back up)

My pile is getting bigger!

The first time I generated a pile like that, my buddies coined it the "super pile of ****"...of course I had a ton more crap in there than just body parts...

you know we'll be keeping glued to this one man

The first time I generated a pile like that, my buddies coined it the "super pile of ****"...of course I had a ton more crap in there than just body parts...

you know we'll be keeping glued to this one man

Haha by the time I'm finished the metal work I'll have at least half of the old car in that pile!

Well I didn't get as much done as planned this weekend.. The quarter was fighting me! I am having issues with the door to quarter gap and body lines lining up (poor stamping compared to the drivers side quarter) everywhere else ligns up nicely tho. I will continue to fight with it and get it closer, it's definitely never going to fit 100% but I guess it's to be expected for a made in Taiwan Dart! I'll make it right in the bodywork stage.

The door to quarter gap needs to be tightened up some more. The middle body line is not in line with the door (as pictured below) and the middle line on the quarter is very faint, so this will have to be addressed in the bodywork stage as well. Once I get the quarter where I'm happy with it, I will then splice in the wheel well tub. I need the quarter lined up to know where to weld the wheel well tub.

Well I spent another couple hours messing with the quarter panel and the entire day thinking of which way to tighten the gap at the door to quarter.. I thought of butt welding the old quarter edge into the new one to tighten up the gap, but then I create a bunch of bodywork and potential warpage or taking a thin cutoff wheel and cutting a slit down the entire quarter, set my gap and then weld up a big gap (sounds like a disaster)

I think the easiest and cleanest route is to weld a piece of 1/8" welding rod down the entire door edge and grind it to make the gap I want. This will still be a slow and tedious job tacking and cooling it as I go and welding both sides to make it perfect. I can't move the door back since it will ruin my door to rocker and fender gap.

Here is my trouble area

Here is another area that will need the same treatment. (Both sides are like this) the door skin is to blame for this.

On a positive note the hood and fender gaps seem great!

Damn the luck-at least you have a plan, albeit a rather drawn out one. It still looks loads better than before, even in the electroplated primer.

Damn the luck-at least you have a plan, albeit a rather drawn out one. It still looks loads better than before, even in the electroplated primer.

Thanks! Yeah it's definitely looking better then the rust! I've been picking away at the wheelwell tub during the week and got all the undercoat off with burnt hands and arms in the process! Tomorrow I'll see if I can strip the paint off the inside of the wheelwell.

It's going to need a patch on the inner wheelwell tub (just like the other side)

I cleaned all the rust/paint off where I plan on splicing the new wheelwell tub in just to make sure it's solid. It will be butt welded in on the same spot as the other side was.

I also picked up some 1/8" welding rod (I believe it's for tig?) and bent it to shape.

Been following this thread from beginning....yes a lurker....I will say this is an outstanding build....question....it looks like in the last picture that right across from the door handle holes.....the quarter panel looks rounder than the door...the door looks straight in that area....so this is what your fighting with?....doing one heck of a job!!!
Brad

Nice Job....it's nice to follow a quality restoration.

Thanks! Did you end up selling your Duster? I hope to see that car finished, you've done such an incredible job on it!

Been following this thread from beginning....yes a lurker....I will say this is an outstanding build....question....it looks like in the last picture that right across from the door handle holes.....the quarter panel looks rounder than the door...the door looks straight in that area....so this is what your fighting with?....doing one heck of a job!!!
Brad

Thanks Brad!

Good eye! Yes the quarter is slightly rounder, but the main problem is the angle of the door at the very top (above the door handle) you can see it's going straight up on the door and the quarter is angled. I think once I weld the Rod on the edge of the door I'll be able to grind it to make the gap uniform.

I got the wheel well tub stripped... That was fun!

Man, I can only imagine how many lbs of paint dust, rust, and wire wheel whiskers you're picking up on a daily basis.

Thanks! Did you end up selling your Duster? I hope to see that car finished, you've done such an incredible job on it!

Well, a few things have changed involving future plan, I didn't sell the Duster...the body guy has till September to get it done or I drag it out and find someone else or sell at the point.

Man, I can only imagine how many lbs of paint dust, rust, and wire wheel whiskers you're picking up on a daily basis.

It's been a mess! I think I've filled my shop vac 3 times now and have gone in the house covered in dirt/dust... Especially doing the wheel well tub.

Well, a few things have changed involving future plan, I didn't sell the Duster...the body guy has till September to get it done or I drag it out and find someone else or sell at the point.

Well I hope he gets it done for ya! I've been following your build ever since I signed up here and it would be nice to see it done... Does your dad still have the Swinger?

I got the wheel well tub tacked in place. Now comes the fun task of welding it in solid.

Well I hope he gets it done for ya! I've been following your build ever since I signed up here and it would be nice to see it done... Does your dad still have the Swinger?

Yep, still got it, he talked about selling it when I thought I Sold mine but, now that the path is clear it's staying.

Yep, still got it, he talked about selling it when I thought I Sold mine but, now that the path is clear it's staying.

Awesome! I'm glad to see your thread back!

Started welding the wheel well tub in and it's almost part of the car, tomorrow I'll finish it up.

A little more grinding and the repair will disappear, then a skim coat of fibreglass on both sides, primer and epoxy!

-
Back