1971 Duster 340, 4spd, FE5/blk resto, "ruster" to Duster!

-
Coming together nicely...again Top quality build, it's nice to see them done the right way.

Thanks! Doing a stock restoration wasn't the direction I wanted to go before I bought it, but after getting it home that was the only route to go. It sure makes it easy when all the original parts clean up and go back on the car. The list of original parts not reused will be a short one, most were done for safety reason (balljoints, bushings, etc).

Stripes are done. I still have some small bubbles to pop. The stripes were an old set that came from Year One and were among the new boxed parts that came with the Duster. They were not very forgiving and hard to work with. If all the little bubbles don't come out then I may buy a new set and start over.

Headliner is started, but I'm waiting for the sail panels to arrive before applying any glue.

Brake & fuel lines are all in place.

The painter still has my decklid, grille support, interior panels, dash and scoops..:wack:

Grille resto is ongoing... :banghead:

I'm always glad to have my little helper working with me.

Attachments

• Stripesdn.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 981
  • Grille.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 980
  • Helper.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 992
Some more progress to report.
-Headliner is in and done.
-All parts, except for the decklid are back from the painters
-Grille blackout is painted
-Light wiring harness is done and installed
-Lots of little stuff is bolted on
-Package tray is in
-Rear metal panels and rear side windows are in

Had one set back..My grille was sitting out in the sun drying the last spot filler application before painting and a freak wind gust came up and tossed it off the stool into the garage door and the ground. all of the cracks I repaired broke again... The only good side was that it stayed in mostly one piece and didn't break in 2. :banghead:

Attachments

• Dash.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 960
  • Headliner.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 935
  • Dustrefront2.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 942
  • Dusterfront.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 946
When I got the Duster home I noticed some faint remnants of decals on the side windows. After a few beers and a lot staring I made out the Hijacker one, but the Edelbrock Tarantula took awhile. I had just the body of the spider to go off of. I finally found a single original decal on Ebay that was a match. A conversation with the original owner later on confirmed this. A friend helped me get some copies made. I got them on this morning :headbang:

Attachments

• Decals.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 924
Thanks 74dart. I tried to do as much myself to save on costs. Having a nice original car to start with really made things easier too.

Im sure it had very little rust if any. But around where Im at there is always rot and if there aint you pay a lot for it. Lucky S.O.B.

Just saw this, and have to say you have made alot of progress from where it was before. Looks like whoever painted the car did a awesome job on it.

Thanks Dodgelover! Its going together pretty quickly now. I'm shooting for 4th of July to be driving it.

74 Dart, well compared to east coast rust it didn't have much. But I did have to replace:
1) Both lower 1/4 patches
2) Lower rear window corner
3) Part of an end cap on the tail
4) Patch in front of the pass rear wheel well
5) Patch on the rear of the front fender
6) Front lower pass windshield corner
7) Drivers lower windshield channel
8) Door striker

And some other small patches & holes. Even west coast cars have their rust problems. My 72 Demon is from Mass and it has some good east rust that was a real eye opener for my western car experience.

When I got the Duster home I noticed some faint remnants of decals on the side windows. After a few beers and a lot staring I made out the Hijacker one, but the Edelbrock Tarantula took awhile. I had just the body of the spider to go off of. I finally found a single original decal on Ebay that was a match. A conversation with the original owner later on confirmed this. A friend helped me get some copies made. I got them on this morning :headbang:

What exactly were highjackers? Air shocks I assume? My 1970 340 duster had those decals on the quarter windows too...

Yep, airshocks. It seems as if all the hot rodded Dusters had stickers and slots on them. They WON'T be going back on the car though. Some semi flat black painted Edelbrocks will be!

813Demon340 - I'm LOVING your VS29H1E !!! I'm not typically a fan of red-coloured cars (orange colours are just fine , however) , but I'll make an exception in your case , as it's an original FE5 red car :glasses7:.

Your decision to keep / add those vintage decals (Hi-Jackers , etc.) is a great decision ! I'm hoping that you decide in favour of keeping the slotted wheels ; are those Ansens ?

There's a long standing misconception about the lack of rust on Ca cars . While the level of rust isn't nearly as bad as a car from , say , Michigan's upper pennisula , Ca cars do rust , just in different areas :
1.) Under the vinyl top ;
2.) Around windshield / backlight channels ;
3.) Lower front fenders ;
4.) Lower front section of the quarter panels ;
5.) Basically , anywhere that dust / sand / foliage / tree droppings (sap , pine needles , leaves , etc. ) settle and build up (such as body drains and the cowl), acting as moisture retainers and the resultant corrosion .
Also , what's worse ; cracked , oxidised , faded , crumbling rubber / vinyl / plastic parts (which are often much more difficult to find / restore than sheet metal) , or rusted fenders , quarters , etc. ?

Keep up the beautiful work !! Looking forward to seeing the finished product !

I got the vinyl top installed today, thanks to help from the wife! I don't think I'd attempt that job solo. I got the driprail trim installed after this pic was taken.

Heres an interior shot showing the firewall assemblies. Still need to vacuum the carpet though.
The rear of the interior is all done!:cheers:

Next up is the driveline assy or finishing the grille resto, I haven't figured out which one yet. I think the driveline will be easier...:D

Attachments

• Rear.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 805
  • Firewall.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 802
  • Vtop.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 792
Any tips on the vinyl top install? I will be doing mine in a few months. Did you buy a Ledgendary top? (that's what mine is) What type of glue did you use? Can you take a picture of the rear quarter panel trim mounting holes and clips? I want to see what is there (mine did not come with a vinyl top) I think I have the right hardware, but id like to see it. Thanks. Car is looking awesume, keep the photos coming. The orange and black combo is nice.

Just made it through all 5 pages... as many have said - the attention to detail is INCREDIBLE. Great job on this restoration, few people would have the patience (or money) to do it as well as you have. Huge kudos to you. This car will look better than the day it rolled out of the showroom!

-
Back