1972 Duster Build with my Daughter

-
OH YEA!...... No photos of how we got it on the cradle.... Kaelyn is sworn to never speak of this evening again and to NEVER repeat some of the things I did to make it happen.... After reviewing the Coronet photos I realized I put the engine on the K-Frame and blocked the rear of the engine then used the engine crane to pick up the transmission and install it.... We put it on the cradle completely assembled.... I don't have a long enough reach crane to do that safely clearly....

DSC_0272.jpg
DSC_0273.jpg
DSC_0274.jpg
DSC_0275.jpg
DSC_0276.jpg

What the hell fun is that?

Tons more fun when I have to remove the starter, keep it cool in the desert heat, drive up my driveway that has a 6" deep wheel ruts where headers would drag..... :). I am actually going to get Accurate Exhaust performance single exhaust. It has a collector where the 2 banks come together.

Spent the night cleaning and wire wheeling bolts for the engine assembly. I could not find the Left hand side exhaust manifold bolts.... I will give you one guess as to where I looked first and found them almost immediately....

All that is left is to install a few parts and drag it outside and hit it with a few coat of SPI universal clear Friday night so it is easy to clean and we will be assembling this weekend.

Tons more fun when I have to remove the starter, keep it cool in the desert heat, drive up my driveway that has a 6" deep wheel ruts where headers would drag..... :). I am actually going to get Accurate Exhaust performance single exhaust. It has a collector where the 2 banks come together.
Spend a little extra $$ on a quality set and you won't have to worry about those things plus they sound much better, add a little HP and look a hell of allot cooler than manifolds. Install is smooth as silk. The mini starter easily clears 3 inches on all sides. No heat, easy to replace if need be.
BTW, we'll be in the 4-Corners region this March for spring break, lots of open highway there, will you be ready?

IMG_1071.JPG
IMG_1072.JPG
IMG_1073.JPG
IMG_1144.JPG

Spend a little extra $$ on a quality set and you won't have to worry about those things plus they sound much better, add a little HP and look a hell of allot cooler than manifolds. Install is smooth as silk. The mini starter easily clears 3 inches on all sides. No heat, easy to replace if need be.
BTW, we'll be in the 4-Corners region this March for spring break, lots of open highway there, will you be ready?

View attachment 1715280392 View attachment 1715280395 View attachment 1715280396 View attachment 1715280399

Did not convince me :)

I doubt it. June 1st is a stretch by the looks of it.

Mocked up the accessories to make sure we had everything and have the transmission fully installed. Tomorrow we will strip it back down and shoot the block/transmission with SPI Universal Clear then we will assemble for good!

DSC_0277.jpg
DSC_0278.jpg
DSC_0279.jpg
DSC_0280.jpg

Did not convince me :)

I doubt it. June 1st is a stretch by the looks of it.

You have probably done the fastest frame off restoration I have ever seen. At the rate you are going that June 1st is easily within reach. It going to be the last 5% during the finishing that might slow you down. It always has for me anyways....

JW

You have probably done the fastest frame off restoration I have ever seen. At the rate you are going that June 1st is easily within reach. It going to be the last 5% during the finishing that might slow you down. It always has for me anyways....

JW

Agree on the last 5%. My Coronet was exactly 365 days from the day I pushed it into the garage to the day I drove it out (no front and rear glass but I drove it!)

Absolutely gorgeous day in Southern Arizona today.. The 318 powertrain is cleaned, touched up and cleared. Today in the sun and UV it will be set up hard by this evening and then it is reassembly time!

DSC_0277.jpg
DSC_0278.jpg
DSC_0279.jpg
DSC_0280.jpg

Incorrect, not my car.... :rofl:
Whatever you say Jim, whatever you say.:poke:

JW
No question about it, Jim is a friggin machine. I wonder if his paying job really knows how much time he spends on this project.:lol:
As for a frame off restoration? Kind of tough to do on a uni-body, even for Jim. :rolleyes:

Some assembly required! Still need to finish blasting the manifolds and paint them Seymours Cast Blast.

Kaelyn put much of this together on her own...

DSC_0277.jpg
DSC_0279.jpg
DSC_0280.jpg
DSC_0281.jpg

HELP!!! This bolt was in the compressor bag..... I am at a loss as to where it goes... Anyone have any ideas.........

DSC_0282.jpg

Looks like the long bolt for the engine mounts in the block. The rest are short bolts.
It is too big in diameter. The engine mounts are already installed. This seems more like a bolt for the steering knuckles to lower ball joint but there is only one and I already have all that installed.... This is the problem of having 2 cars to build one, a simple mistake in bagging and make you go crazy trying to figure out what car it came from and did you forget something on the one your building!

E-mail from Bob at GlenRay, heater core is on its way home. Should have the AC box completed and installed next weekend!

It's a Jesus bolt.
It's the bolt you remember where it goes when you're doing 60 down the road and say "Jesus!"

It's a Jesus bolt.
It's the bolt you remember where it goes when you're doing 60 down the road and say "Jesus!"
Those are the clips that hold the hood hinges on. Or that is what my dad called them trying to get them off

You're all wrong.
That's the f@ckit bolt.
If the car is assembled correctly and you know it. Drive it.
I haven't done a car yet that didn't have a can full of f@ckit bolts.
Trust your knowledge.

I have found more instances in my experience where the "line" screwed up and forgot to put a fastener in than I have where I forgot to.
Restos are detailed hand built cars.
Trust your knowledge.

Not much to show today. Spent the day just cleaning, blasting a painting small parts for various things... Setting up for the next big assembly day. Ordered a bunch of parts for Jegs and Classic Industries.... again.... should be getting close to having everything we need one would think....

HELP!!! This bolt was in the compressor bag..... I am at a loss as to where it goes... Anyone have any ideas.........
That thing is so big/long that it has to be for some steering or suspension component. That's also just about the only place you'll find a fine thread bolt/nut that large. If you forgot it someplace, you'll know where it goes soon enough!

-
Back