20s for the Demon - how low can I go? (big wheel haters don't look)

-
I like the big wheel look, rjsjea has the stance and rim size nailed. 19s look great, I like a 19/18 combo. BUT....for big wheels you have to have width on the rear set, if you run a 255/35/20 or something similar on the rears then don't bother. If you put the time in to mini-tub and spring relocate and can fit something like a 335 or 345 wide on 12" rim that would be killer. The tucked look is a 1000x better with steam rollers,,,,,and of course the power to smoke them at will!
Good luck with your build whatever route you choose.

I just put some "small" 17s" on my Duster

Attachments

• duster 2 002.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 506
  • duster 2 003.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 482
  • duster 2 006.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 450
  • duster 2 005.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 489
17s just look to small on a Demon or Duster. I love the CCW Classics on the green duster. The only way 18 and up look good on a Duster or Demon is if the car is lowered and both the front and rear wheels are tucked some. Other wise the car just looks like its sitting to high.

Attachments

• 0903phr_16_z+1971_dodge_demon+front_passenger_side.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 514
I just put some "small" 17s" on my Duster

Holmes I was wondering if you have spacers in the front, and if you are running a stock a-body rear. Also what's the width on front and rear wheels and off sets. I like the look with the deep dish in the rear. Your car looks great! I want the same look but just sit w bit lower.

To the OP this is a great thread its bringing out so many different ideas, looks, and wheel and tire combinations. I really like the direction this is going in! To everyone looking to do something different, keep up the great work. It's definatly an inspiration, and motivation to get my car back together and on the road and start driving it and enjoying it.

Thanks, Aj

So HOLMES!! on that nice looking red Duster;What brand are the rims and what backspace do they have and tire size i am looking for that same look for my car..... No mini-tub right???

Thanks for your time......................... PETE ........................

I like It, and I am a Hater,...but I like anyone who goes outside the box, as long as It looks cool...I would not do sassy grass green tho,...(cause we've never seen that before),........you do your thing man,....

I battled the thought of going with 20" out back also. Ultimately I choose 18" all around but still question if in should shove some twentys out back. I personally with the 18" in the front find it hard to see anything bigger fitting all that well. If you choose to stagger the rims. Like let's say 18" in front and 20" out back the key is to have the same amount of side wall on the rim. So you'll still be 2" shorter up front but it will blend if you have the same size side wall. Make sense?
62401002422166557821000.jpg

Here's a video
https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=104223156257688&saved

A good deal of pictures to go through but it's all there.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=95904

I'm gonna be running Denny's K-member and using shockwaves on all 4 corners. My front wheels are gonna be 18X8 with a 4.5 backspace and a 245/40/18 tire

Looked through it all - very impressive.

73hcode looks great pro stock look go for it

Pro stock??
Rodzilla I like the big wheel look, rjsjea has the stance and rim size nailed. 19s look great, I like a 19/18 combo. BUT....for big wheels you have to have width on the rear set, if you run a 255/35/20 or something similar on the rears then don't bother. If you put the time in to mini-tub and spring relocate and can fit something like a 335 or 345 wide on 12" rim that would be killer. The tucked look is a 1000x better with steam rollers,,,,,and of course the power to smoke them at will!
Good luck with your build whatever route you choose.

Your ideas mirror my own. Rjsjea's car is inspirational, however... tire and rim cost jump dramatically above about a 275 and 10" rim. I was put off the whole thing initially, but surprisingly there are some decent prices on 20s and 18s at 275 and under. I initially thought no way I'm going less than 295, but I'm finding that with a large wheel tucked, I'm OK with less width. Likewise, I'd like to smoke em at will, and wider may require more than the mid 400 hp I have planned. Not only that but I'd not feel great smokin a high dollar set of tires. I intend to make room for wide, and shorten the diff to something that allows some flexibility with wheel offsets for potential future upgrade. Too much spent on this project would mean longer to pay off the mortgage and retire.

holmes I just put some "small" 17s" on my Duster

I think the 17s are a very nice upgrade.
Fst73_360 17s just look to small on a Demon or Duster. I love the CCW Classics on the green duster. The only way 18 and up look good on a Duster or Demon is if the car is lowered and both the front and rear wheels are tucked some. Other wise the car just looks like its sitting to high.

Yes I've ogled that one too, and watched it go around pylons on youtube. It's a very trick look with major suspension work to pull it off.

Aj408 To the OP this is a great thread its bringing out so many different ideas, looks, and wheel and tire combinations. I really like the direction this is going in! To everyone looking to do something different, keep up the great work. It's definatly an inspiration, and motivation to get my car back together and on the road and start driving it and enjoying it.

Yes, I'm surprised. Obviously there's lots of interest, and even some haters who have a hard time admitting big wheels can be nice. I'm glad we don't all think the same. For me, Dusters and Demons beg to have their rear wheelwells filled up, and more. When I was a kid I loved em jacked up. Now my eyes want them tucked. The old way was a lot easier. I suspect the future will see a lot more "big n tucked" cars.

jaimus I like It, and I am a Hater,...but I like anyone who goes outside the box, as long as It looks cool...I would not do sassy grass green tho,...(cause we've never seen that before),........you do your thing man,....

Part of my goal is to be a bit outside the box. I'm thinking satin black with black centered wheels.

71swing I battled the thought of going with 20" out back also. Ultimately I choose 18" all around but still question if in should shove some twentys out back. I personally with the 18" in the front find it hard to see anything bigger fitting all that well. If you choose to stagger the rims. Like let's say 18" in front and 20" out back the key is to have the same amount of side wall on the rim. So you'll still be 2" shorter up front but it will blend if you have the same size side wall. Make sense?

For my taste, 18 is the upper limit up front. I agree, sidewall should match.

i think 17's are the perfect size...that nogo looks too..."tampa bay, florida" to me...

Sorry it took me so long to reply but here goes.
The rear end is an A-Body 8&3/4 with Moser axles and SSBC rear disc brake kit, no wheel tubs, the wheels are American Racing Rev 100s.
The front wheels are 17x7 part # 100s 7706500 w/4" backspace and 215-45x17 tires with no spacers and factory disc brakes in front.
The rear wheels are 17x9 part # 100s 7906500 w/5" backspace and 275-40x17 tires.
I would like to lower the rear a little bit but at the present time I'll drive it as it is.
Hope this is helpful. :toothy8::toothy8::toothy8::toothy8:
holmes

Rjsjea hit the nail on the head.
After doing some measuring, the sad conclusion is that differential clearance to the frame is a major limiting factor.
Lots of pics here, since there seems to be some interest.
I purchased a 325 50 15 for comparison since that is what I was considering before getting infatuated with 20s.

First are pics the way I would like to tuck the 325s if I were to use them. Hard to compare without a wheel, but I like that look a lot, even up a couple inches is nice. From the inside you can see it takes up all the space to the frame rail. Some trimming on the frame and fender flanges would be necessary. Lots of lateral room for the 275 45 20.

Notice in the side view of the 325 where the frame rail sits. This is the sad reality. I calculated that 5" is needed from the wheel center to the frame. The 8.8 diff is about 3.5". I rounded to 4", half of that is 2" plus a minimum 3" for leaf spring travel makes 5". The marker stick and a level were used to position the wheel with center to frame at 5". The last pic shows how this limits the tuck on a 20" wheel. The one before is the same process applied to the 325 50 15.

Rjsjea mentioned notching the frame. Not sure how that's done but I'll be looking into it as I don't care much for the look of either of them at that height. I'm not sure how coil overs can help this other than limiting suspension travel down to 2" or so. One inch gain is not enough.

I'm curious how others like swisswill have gone so low in the rear.

Attachments

• 325 limited tuck.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 419
  • frame check with 20.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 364
  • 275 45 20 inside.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 392
  • 325 50 15 inside.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 405
  • 325 50 15 tucked rear.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 377
  • 325 50 15 max tuck.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 390
  • 275 45 20 vs 325 50 15.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 415
  • limited tuck with 20.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 433
I bolted my wheel to my axle housing with a tire on it and set the car down onto the tires. The tubs stopped the frame right before it hit the factory bump stop. I then rasied the car 3" and thats where I ended up. 285/40/20 in the pictures I posted. a 325 is WAY to wide and almost 6" wider then a stock tire.

They sell notch kits, This place sells a kit, also check out their frame curves that could also be used.

http://www.welderseries.com/blog/online-store/step-notch-kit-universal/

Thanks. Found that with a google search right after posting. :D
I think I could make this work with some plates welded onto each side:
http://www.welderseries.com/blog/online-store/c-notch-fill-piece-rear/

I bolted my wheel to my axle housing with a tire on it and set the car down onto the tires. The tubs stopped the frame right before it hit the factory bump stop. I then rasied the car 3" and thats where I ended up. 285/40/20 in the pictures I posted. a 325 is WAY to wide and almost 6" wider then a stock tire.

Cool. Looks lower because of the Dart 1/4 covering more. What do you have for springs? There's guys on here going wider than 325. It could work without much trouble.

I have to see what works up front without a spendy solution before I finalize a plan for the back, but I'm thinking seriously of doing the C notch. I'll look at your thread again to see how you managed the front end.

this is bottomed out on the suspension

533bacd6.jpg

tightest I could get it

DSC00824.jpg

to get an idea of how low I am at ride height that's 51 1/2 inches to the top of the roof

DSC00978.jpg

Thanks. Found that with a google search right after posting. :D
I think I could make this work with some plates welded onto each side:
http://www.welderseries.com/blog/online-store/c-notch-fill-piece-rear/

Cool. Looks lower because of the Dart 1/4 covering more. What do you have for springs? There's guys on here going wider than 325. It could work without much trouble.

I have to see what works up front without a spendy solution before I finalize a plan for the back, but I'm thinking seriously of doing the C notch. I'll look at your thread again to see how you managed the front end.
I'm running a triangulated 4 link out back with air bags and the front is gonna be all custom front suspension by Hemidenny slammed as low as I can go.

Johnparts, that looks great. I was starting to 2nd guess myself for getting 20's. But I love the way yours looks.

suspension at full droop look at the frame to housing clearance.

That's a lot of clearance. Thinking about this, it seems having the wheel/tire partly covered by the quarter is key to the look and much harder to accomplish with the Duster/Demon. My wife likes Darts better. Shoulda gone that route.

I have a soft spots for Darts. My first mopar was a 1971 Panther Pink Dart with a stroked 451 so I've stuck to that body. I however will do a demon if I ever decide to build another car.

-
Back