273 build ?????

-
Sounds like a fun build there babyblue. You're lucky to be able to do the machine work and porting yourself. It would cost quite a bit for most of us to have that extensive machining done. I'll have to look up that cam and check it out on the dyno. It sounds like it's strong from 3-6000+ rpm. Do you have any video's with sound. I'd like to hear your motor with that cam. Thought I'd edit in some numbers fom your combo: 81Hp @2000rpm 220lb/ft @ 2000rpm
Peak power and torque 302hp @6000rpm 301 lb/ft. @ 4500 rpm Toolmanmike

With your combo I got:

E-4 114 hp and 300 lb/ft both @ 2000 rpm
325 hp@ 5500 rpm and 332 lb/ft @ 4000 rpm

#14202 99 hp and 260 lb/ft both at 2000 rpm
341 hp @ 6000 rpm and 321 lb/ft @ 5000 rpm

As you can see the #14202 has more peak hp at a higher (6000) rpm but the E-4 starts out with more hp and torque and has more peak torque at a lower
(usable) rpm. Hope this helps and thank MRVCorp for the video and the great sound of the Isky cam. That's the cam I'll install when I rebuild this winter.
toolmanmike
Thanks Mike. The Intake and carb are on the way and unchangeable. the only variable at this point is the cam and As the performer intake is 5500 rpm rated and I really don't want to rev any higher anyway it looks like the E-4 is the best choice for my build. I appreciate all the work and input from everyone! Thanks a ton!
Douglas

Sorry I had to edit the figures to 9:1 compression. I had it set at 10.5:1.

Headers and mufflers increases it to: HP and tq@2000/rpm= 100/262
Peak HP=362@6000
Peak TQ=346@5000

Quite a jump with headers and duals. If this cam isn't too radical from idle to 3000 rpm it would be a fun one. toolman

Sounds like a fun build there babyblue. You're lucky to be able to do the machine work and porting yourself. It would cost quite a bit for most of us to have that extensive machining done. I'll have to look up that cam and check it out on the dyno. It sounds like it's strong from 3-6000+ rpm. Do you have any video's with sound. I'd like to hear your motor with that cam. Thought I'd edit in some numbers fom your combo: 81Hp @2000rpm 220lb/ft @ 2000rpm
Peak power and torque 302hp @6000rpm 301 lb/ft. @ 4500 rpm Toolmanmike

Too bad my boss was a huge dick and I quit last spring.:thebirdm: I miss the use of a good machine shop. Makes me wish I had done some heads and more work while I was there.
When I get the drive shaft in I'll see if I can get some sound clips. I do wish I had closer to 10 to 1 compression. But at least this way I can run crap 87 gas with no issues. I think that dyno software is a little on the happy side, but close. Thanks

I would like to put on headers, but I can't spend the cash on the Dougs or TTI's. Maybe Spitfires and remove the power steering, but for now I'll stick with the manifolds. I did clean up the castings with a die grinder and smoothed the inlets/outlets as well. Also I had the single exhaust installed for easy of installation. It has a nice y-pipe and a free flowing muffler, so its not bad. I am going to trim my trans cross member and add another pipe when I have some extra cash. I would like to run it at the strip just to see what it will do with the lower gears. Maybe I will next spring. So far I'm impressed with the little motor.

Sorry I had to edit the figures to 9:1 compression. I had it set at 10.5:1.

Headers and mufflers increases it to: HP and tq@2000/rpm= 100/262
Peak HP=362@6000
Peak TQ=346@5000

Quite a jump with headers and duals. If this cam isn't too radical from idle to 3000 rpm it would be a fun one. toolman

It idles fine with a nice muscle sound at 850rpm. I'll get a vacuum reading as well. I have the stock converter and high gears now. I drive it almost every day. .022 of valve lash makes it seem more like 214 @ .050 vs 224. Some cam duration is lost at the valves. Also its on a 110 cl, I belive the E4 is a 108?
Its just on the edge of being too big for my combo, which makes it just right 8)

Sounds like we are following the same paths. I know headers are a big improvement over stock manifolds but headers on early A's aren't fun and especially with PS. I was also thinking of doing some trimming inside the manifolds. It can't hurt. It sounds like our builds will be similar. You've got a bigger cam but lower compression. I will have 10.5:1 but a smaller cam. Yes the Dyno 2000 software I have does seem a bit generous. Although I put in stock specs for my 273 and it figured 236 hp. That's within 1hp of stock specs.
I use it as a guideline but not as gospel. I hope to hear your engine run. A video would be great. Thanks, toolmanmike

any thoughts on using lighter wrist pins on the 273? if so which one are good choices?

Trend Performance made a couple of sets of piston pins for me for about $100 a set. They weigh about 143 grams each. I had my L2222 pistons pop up milled down to the flat. I concur with the Isky E-4 cam.

Those manifolds are rough. There is no way to really help the flow on the early A stuff except to replace them. I plan to cam mine a little differently to help with that.

I will keep the stock manifolds so I played with the cam specs with more lift and duration on the exhaust side. If I would gain horsepower I would loose low rpm torque. The E-4 was the best balance of torque and horse power even over a custom cam. toolmanmike

My 273 Commando setup:
1. 650 Holley double pumper
2. Edelbrock Rpm Performer Intake
3. Lunati Solid Cam / Lifters - .515/.525
4. 4.10 sure grip - 26.5" tires
5. dual exhaust w/ h-pipe
6. 4 speed manual
7. stock exhaust manifolds
8. stock pistons, springs
9. NGK plugs & Accel 8.8mm wires
I rev her to 3000rpms, sidestep the clutch and away we go...shifting @ 6000rpms ...don't know the HP or torque ratings, if anyone can give me a rough guess its much appreciated. I like to think I'm @ 285hp

ZooKypr

I am about to get my 273 commando back from the machine shop. It has .030 l222n pop-ups, a custom ground Crane cam (don't have the specs right now), new lifters and springs, full valve job, lightened wrist pins, everything polished and balanced. I will stay with the stock intake and exhaust manifolds. I have an almost new Carter AFB 3854s. I will be dropping it in a few weeks from now when I get all the k-member, power steering, etc. ready to install.

Paw Or Egge For 273 Pistons \\\ By The Way Egge Makes Pistons For Everyone,even Keith Black.

Check with Camcraft cams. they can grind whatever you need with lifters for about $200.00. Don't contact the diesel guys -- Camcraft is on the net.

You can but remember, the E-4 is a solid lifter cam so you'll need cam, lifters, pushrods and adjustable rockers.

I am about to get my 273 commando back from the machine shop. It has .030 l222n pop-ups, a custom ground Crane cam (don't have the specs right now), new lifters and springs, full valve job, lightened wrist pins, everything polished and balanced. I will stay with the stock intake and exhaust manifolds. I have an almost new Carter AFB 3854s. I will be dropping it in a few weeks from now when I get all the k-member, power steering, etc. ready to install.

Did you get this running? Curious about the cam specs also.

-
Back