273 La engine oiling

-

Jarmo72

Reaction score
I am rebuilding my 273 engine and I noticed that there is special rocker arm bracket where oil flows. Machined bolt/ bracket. What is tightening torque for that?

Interesting... Only part I can think of that comes close to what you are describing is a drip leg beside the timing chain. I'm not sure that part was original to 273. On the other hand, if the earlier 273s with stove pipes on the valve covers didn't have baffles in those covers a part may have been added below, on the head, to serve as a baffle.

Rocker arm shaft torque is about 17 ft lbs....30 lbs and you will snap bolts off...

Well ....
Rocker Shaft Bolt 30 3/8-16

is what it calls for but I will agree with ^^^^^

Well ....
Rocker Shaft Bolt 30 3/8-16

is what it calls for but I will agree with ^^^^^

That is a well known misprint. Sometimes you have to use your head and say "huh?" A grade 5 3/8 bolt is "standard torque" at 30 ft lbs for -16 thread, therefore a 5/16 cannot be.

This is a little hard to read but...... 5/16 grade 5 course thread is 17 ft lbs

gpallied_gandbox_training_image2l.jpg

Someone needs to fix that. As I was typing that I was thinking HUH?

I was thinking rocker shaft bolts are 5/16, not 3/8. I had never heard/seen that 30 foot pound thing before this forum.
Anyway... 18 is correct

It's correct in my 67 book, but wrong in '69. The 72 book changed from ft lbs to 200 inch lbs which is LOL 16.6666666667 ft lbs In 71, they show that bolt as 3/8 which ?? may or may not be correct and show the torque at 25 ft lbs.

You'd think a company that was once as important as "Ma" was could get simple bolt right, ??

Yep that misinformation is out there in some FSM's; wrong in my '62 Dart /6 FSM section , wrong in the '65 'Cuda FSM for the /6 (mis-ID'd as a 3/8' bolt), but right in the same '65 'Cuda FSM for the 273 (ID' as a 5/16" bolt)...go figure.

Does this answer the OP's original question...??

a 383-440 is a 3/8" bolt. a 273-360 is a 5/16 bolt- I go 20 ft/lb. w2 small block heads are 3/8". always check your bolt sizes and u can't go wrong

There was an error in some of the service manuals, the correct torque is 200 INCH POUNDS...

25-30 foot pounds is too much....

Dang, all the engines I've built should have broke a long time ago. Rods, mains, and head bolts is all I usually torque. The rest are by feel.

Thanks for all who take part of my question. Rocker arm shaft was my idea, second rocker arm bracket if you look from front (letf side) and second bracket from back (right side). I'm gonna use between 17 ft lbs and 20ft lbs.

-
Back