2bbl on single intake

-

Johnny71dusty

Reaction score
Anyone done this ? I have 3 different adapters and all raise the carb too high thr hood won't shut . Having too much trouble with my 1bbl carter ball & ball . No one sells a replacement for them been all over that I got a rebuilt one from eBay and it's garbage .

so I'd like to put the 318 style 2bbl on as I have several and they are awesome but the adapter . Anyone done this and able tot close their hood ? I saw in a vice grip garage video where he bought a duster from Dylan Mccool anf he this this , he has an adapter on it and the hood closes ( but no air filter on it ) becusse it won't close lol .

I would make the effort to find a 2 barrel intake for the slant 6 so that you can use your 2 barrel carburetors ( I am assuming Carter BBD's). This ensures that the 2 barrel carburetor works as it is intended and there won't be a clearance problem. The factory super 6 set up works great, I think you are creating problems for yourself by trying to use an adapter.

I would make the effort to find a 2 barrel intake for the slant 6 so that you can use your 2 barrel carburetors ( I am assuming Carter BBD's). This ensures that the 2 barrel carburetor works as it is intended and there won't be a clearance problem. The factory super 6 set up works great, I think you are creating problems for yourself by trying to use an adapter.
I don't want to pull it all apart for the 5th time this month. I finally got it to seal . Also Not what My question was friend . Was asking if anyone has done it and what they used. Not if I should do it or what is a better choice. I like single barrels honestly but finding a brand new one is impossible no one makes a replacement for it

Maybe a larger single? Don't know what that might be? Maybe something off a 300 cid Ford or 292 Chev?

Also if you can braze, you could modify your stock intake, or buy a "junker" and play with that. Build a mounting plate, say, 1/4" steel, fit it to the intake, grind out the porting to match, either mill a flat to mount the plate or close, an braze it on, or if milled, drill and tap, bolt it on

There's a reason OEM slant 2 bbl. intakes cost a few bucks.
Not worried about the money . I'm asking if anyone has done it and how they did it . If you haven't done it dont respond . I'm not interested in things other than what I ask . I don't get why you all continually do this. I ask about a single barrel and I get everyone's opinions on why I should go to a two barrel I ask about a slant six and everyone says get rid of it and get a 318 , I asked about a duster and people want to give me advice on why I should get a dart: they ask about what Stock style distributor I should get I don't want all your opinions on why I should convert to electronic ignition. That's not what I asked. By asking what champion spark plug I should get I don't want peoples opinion on why I shouldn't get a Champion Spark Plug. If I ask for a Carter ball and ball single barrel I don't want people telling me why I should get a Harley 1920 or why I should get a two barrel or anything other than when I'm asking. I should get I really don't care I ask pretty simple questions if you don't have an answer to that question don't respond y'all it's so aggravating.

My whole point y'all as I don't wanna pull my manifold off again it took six tries to get them both to seal up properly. And I generally like single barrels. I'm asking if anyone has done it and how they did it that's all I'm asking. Please just don't respond unless it's a direct answer to the question. Other people feel this way l

Custom fab a drop base air cleaner to gain the clearance you need.

I will mention the fact again pissy boy,:poke: there is a reason the oem slant 2 bbl intake costs some bucks!!! You know how our discussions get side tracked!!!:poke:
MoparMike74 just maybe has the answer, try to make a custom drop air cleaner. Winner!

Maybe the lack of an answer is the answer. There is no easy way to use a 2vto1v adapter and a stock air cleaner. So the solution would be to adapt another style of air cleaner to your setup. I have no idea on what that may be. CalCustom used to make cheesy air cleaners for odd sized throttle openings, maybe they still do.

It has been done, a 1 bbl intake made into a 2 bbl intake before, I've read a few articles about it. But I hope nobody would do the cutting/drilling with the intake mounted on the engine so all the shavings get fed thru the motor. And they've turned the 2 bbl to be parallel with the motor, which I e heard is an improvement (but haven't done it myself)
Adapters to put a 2 bbl on a 1 bbl can also be done but the bottleneck created leaves minimal if any performance improvement.
If you want a 1 bbl intake to experiment with I have a couple of you're near enough to come by and pick up /I won't ship

At least you are using the adapter the correct way. I have a Carter BBD on my 273 V-8 with a 4 bbl intake, using a 2-4 barrel adapter upside-down (tricky bolts). I did as a temp before I change to TBI fuel injection and figured I could keep that setup in the trunk as a small backup.

I suspect easier to find an aftermarket 4 bbl intake for your slant today than a now-rare factory 2 bbl. Since "money is no object", look at the Hurricane intake (Aussie import, ~$600 but high-bling). Then, try to find a small 4 bbl (say 370 cfm) or perhaps better a TBI like some <$1000 now and allow swapping in smaller injectors. Sorry I can't give you the exact answer you want.

See the parallel 2bbl setup article. Photo documentation of a very well done such conversion is here, and there's a nice pictorial on modifying a 1bbl intake here.

2bbl-to-1bbl adapters exist. They're a completely freakin' dumb idea for reasons that should be obvious.
Dan! Thanks old man, I picked up a 63 Dart Wagon with a 225, looking to get/make a intake for the BBD. Hope you well, always appreciate your insight.

Rock auto has reman one barrel carbs for the '71 Duster slant 6 cars.

Screenshot_20220902-011000_Firefox.jpg

Not worried about the money . I'm asking if anyone has done it and how they did it . If you haven't done it dont respond . I'm not interested in things other than what I ask . I don't get why you all continually do this. I ask about a single barrel and I get everyone's opinions on why I should go to a two barrel I ask about a slant six and everyone says get rid of it and get a 318 , I asked about a duster and people want to give me advice on why I should get a dart: they ask about what Stock style distributor I should get I don't want all your opinions on why I should convert to electronic ignition. That's not what I asked. By asking what champion spark plug I should get I don't want peoples opinion on why I shouldn't get a Champion Spark Plug. If I ask for a Carter ball and ball single barrel I don't want people telling me why I should get a Harley 1920 or why I should get a two barrel or anything other than when I'm asking. I should get I really don't care I ask pretty simple questions if you don't have an answer to that question don't respond y'all it's so aggravating.
You can do it, sure. I've seen the adaptors yrs ago. I have done similar and I will tell you ...it will only flow what the hole in the intake flows. There will be a point where more throttle... slows its acceleration.
Have fun.

See the parallel 2bbl setup article. Photo documentation of a very well done such conversion is here, and there's a nice pictorial on modifying a 1bbl intake here.

2bbl-to-1bbl adapters exist. They're a completely freakin' dumb idea for reasons that should be obvious.
I did this mod on my '64 Dart and used a '64 - 318 air cleaner. Hood closes.
IMG_8539.JPG
IMG_8542.JPG
Air Cleaner2.jpg

I did this mod on my '64 Dart
That's nice work you did; I see only one thing to squawk about: it looks like you maybe didn't maintain the forward-tilt angle of the carburetor mount pad, which is there on Slant-6 intakes because the engine is installed with a front-up/rear-down tilt and you want to try to keep the carburetor level.

That's nice work you did; I see only one thing to squawk about: it looks like you maybe didn't maintain the forward-tilt angle of the carburetor mount pad, which is there on Slant-6 intakes because the engine is installed with a front-up/rear-down tilt and you want to try to keep the carburetor level.
Dang - I didn't check that! I've been told I'm a half a bubble off my whole life, but this is every bit of a full bubble forward from the top of the carb.
IMG_9228.JPG

-
Back