302 casting swirl port heads

-
"There is an interesting excerpt in "Mopar Engines", page 72, describing how such a head was ported and made to flow as well or better than other small block cylinder heads. Apparently, this experimentation resulted in the master for today's Mopar Performance P4452758 cylinder head". In othe words,these heads flow as good as any older stock 340 head.

I flow test heads, I have these and other heads to know.

How much cfm potential do you think they have?

They can be big valved and ported to flow with a stock 2.02 x or j...but then port the x or j and 'good bye lil heads'...

I m having an argument about the 302 heads casting . Is it really a swirl PORt ? or a fast burn chamber because of heart shape ? I ve posted a chevy "swirl port"
Anyone have a picture of the stock intake
83171d1100905955-swirl-port-heads-why-ports.png
port ?

I believe just the heart shaped combustion chamber is the key to these heads. Quench is the key.

302 heads are swirl port, according to Chrysler Engineering. You cannot compare them to Chevy. The chamber is very similar to early, 64-67 273's which were not designed to be swirl ports. Quench is what separates the 273 from the 318. Air flow is what makes Horsepower.

You probably can't see the numbers here but this is a set of "302" heads with aftermarket valves.

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

302s are swirl port. It's the shape of the throat and guide boss that imparts the swirl. The chamber is closed but they never had any swirl or tumble, or quench affect as a result because the pistons were too far away. The key was the head's intake ports, and "pre-Magnum" exhaust ports. GM used that ramp within the port to do the same thing. Lary Widmer was a key developer IIRC. The same design was used to create the high swirl 360 heads (596 heads IIRC?)

I've done 302's on a Commando 273 with no issues; heads were cut .030, plugged the smog holes with 1/4-20 set screws.

Not difficult to do, go for it.

I m having an argument about the 302 heads casting . Is it really a swirl PORt ? or a fast burn chamber because of heart shape ? I ve posted a chevy "swirl port"
Anyone have a picture of the stock intake
83171d1100905955-swirl-port-heads-why-ports.png
port ?

Interesting, I have never seen a picture and didn't take mine apart.

-
Back