340 Engine

-

brucee340

Reaction score
Is This Real?
The Machine Shop Call Me Today. It Will Cost Me A $8500.00 To Build My 340. They Got My Block, Stock Crank,rod ,intake Manifold.
It Blow My Mine. Is Their Any Engine Builder Out There What Do You Think?

Is This Real?
The Machine Shop Call Me Today. It Will Cost Me A $8500.00 To Build My 340. They Got My Block, Stock Crank,rod ,intake Manifold.
It Blow My Mine. Is Their Any Engine Builder Out There What Do You Think?
What? Go get your motor out of that place. Where do you live?

X2 - way to much for a rebuild.

You live in Maryland, correct? What is it that the machine shop is going to perform for $8500?

You could ship it both ways to the local guy here and get it back for much less than that. A stock stroke 340 and $8500 WOW!

Dam they gold plating the block ?

Get out of there quick !!!!!!!

Where you located ?

Is this a plain re-build or a stroked 426?That,s abit overpriced for a stock 340,when you have everything and just want a re-build?

I got my 340 done last year. Bored to .040, block was checked, new pistons, rings a couple of rods, new MP purple cam and lifters, gaskets block plugs, new oil pump all for $2500.00. Crank was good, so I could reuse. Heads were also reusable as is.

$8500 in the US better be a Stroker when its done.

Just my 2 cents

I Am Sorry For Reply Late, I Run Small Business,
So, You Guy Thing I Should Pull Out.

I'll Do It For $8450.00. Lol Grab Your Stuff Up & Run! These Guys Are Ripping You Off.

I would run. You can have my '69 340 w/X heads, purple shaft cam, Holley 670, HP manifolds, Milodon pan, less than 1000 miles for $3. Shipping will kill though.:walk:

PM BJR Racing. He is one of us and can do it for less, and better! toolman

In any event get an itemized list of services and parts from any engine builder before the first dollar is exchanged. That sounds like a ton of money just for a rebuild. Your engine builder is either hitting the happy pipe or he`s going to build one super 340. What does $8500.00 buy from this fellow?

In any event get an itemized list of services and parts from any engine builder before the first dollar is exchanged. That sounds like a ton of money just for a rebuild. Your engine builder is either hitting the happy pipe or he`s going to build one super 340. What does $8500.00 buy from this fellow?

My 416 is going in next week at $8800 but that includes many custom options including extensive porting and a custom grind cam......It adds up quick but $8500 for a stock bore run of the mill 340 is high. I will post my itemized list next week some time.

Sounds like someone is trying to get themselves through the recession on your back. You could almost buy a car with a 340 for that much.

Find out what exately your getting for $8500.00..my 416 cost just under $10k but it was worth every penny...

I got stung on a purchase of a 340 paid $5000 installed it was phucked smoked compression was all over the place. Got $2000 back from the dip **** luckilly. But once I found someone trust worthy cost $6400 Canadian thats with me Installing it and him doing the Initial start up which he insisted on. That was everything Machining, New Pistons,scat rods complete X-heads new valves everything was replaced other than the Block and the head castings. Not great on the Geography of the U.S but look this fella up. Don't know him but he seems to have a very good Rep and may be closer to you than I think D http://mrlperformance.com/

It's not "too much" until we know A) what he asked for .... did you walk in and say "I have to have 500hp?" See how many posts start with "How do I make *** horsepower?" and you'll seee what I mean. B) What is he giving you. If you handed him a block, crank, rods, heads, and intake, I can easilly see that getting to $8500 as the engine won't run without a LOT more. A good performance rebuild will cost at least $4KUS with parts. What about the carb, distributor, tin work, fuel pump, water pump, water outlet and thermostat, balancer, etc. Lots of guys ***** about prices but have no clue what other stuff needs to be attached to make it run. Total every nut and bolt and see what it costs to get it running.
I agree it sounds big on the surface... But I'd stick my head under the surface before I start yelling "yank it" and the guys a crook.

PM BJR Racing. He is one of us and can do it for less, and better! toolman

Thanks Mike,
I just finished a engine for 72scamp_swinger and this is what I did for $4,900.00.

Picked up and delivered to Huntsville, Al.
318 engine
Bored .030
New KB 167 pistons
New crank
new cam brgs.
new custom ground cam
square decked .027
balanced
assembled
new roller rockers
new chrome moly pushrods
new intake manifold
gasket matched intake manifold
replaced 1 rod
new rod bolts
new rings, oil pump, and roller chain and gears
new oil pump shaft bushing
brass freeze plugs
new gasket set
milled deck of heads .015
cut intake face .060
new moroso valve covers
new 950 quick fuel carb
new set of holley jets
bowl blended heads
gasket matched heads
flow benching before and after
new valve keepers
painted in his color and detailed
lucas oil zinc + additive and 20/50 valvoline oil VR1
lucas engine oil supplement
prime engine and has 75 psi oil pressure
Returned all old parts to owner if wanted
cut guides for seals
cut spring seats for dual springs
comp. valve job
set installed heights
spring shim pkg.

final results 462 hp @ 6500 and 430 ft. lbs. @ 4500 peaks
net is 376 hp and 372 tq. averages

Like I said before Bobby. If I need another engine built you are building it, and I am in Canada. So, I think the original poster better have a long look at what he was going to get for $8500 and do some comparing before he has anything done.

Jack

-
Back