340 Stroker Build Need LOTS of Advice

-
Ok. In short, what your saying is a set of 32 X 15 slicks then!

I like your style AJ!

IDK, I never had a stroker and have no desire to build one; I can hardly keep control of what I got. Some passengers, will never ride with me again. They said give-'er, and so we went some where and I did. Then they say take me home, and I do. Then they say they'll never ride with me again. Probably just as well; so glad you didn't barf in the front seat.
People are fickle,lol.
The cops appreciate the show tho. One even complimented me on my style! I still got the ticket tho;plick. But I got to keep my car, and more importantly, my license.
I was wrong; they can give out tickets on private property.........if they see you. So the trick is to not make such an obvious ruckus. It's kindof hard to deny a huge cloud of smoke rising into the sky.......starting at your back bumper......

I have got to get quieter mufflers.......

OP I totally get the attraction of a stroker.
the Dyno curves speak for themselves.
But personally, I gotta be realistic. If a 367 can overpower the tires at say 160ftlbs outta the gate,on the start line, then you can never floor the stroker without tirespin. I bet you could put a 250 I-barrel on it, and still smoke'em. So traction, for me, is the biggest roadblock to ever having a stroker in an A-body. And I'm not a fan of any other body-style. So as much as I wanted a stroker back in 99 when I built my SBM, I long-ago fell in love with my little 367.
But I also understand dreams. My FormulaS-clone started out as a dream, in 1978 when I bought it. It sat on blocks for nearly 20 years as I brought up my family. She was very patient. Then beginning in 97, and Three years later, my dream was realized. And now 18 years later it languishes in the carport, returning to dust. We had a good time, she and I.
My hope as that you have a good time too, realizing your dream.

But 245s are an invitation to disaster,lol.

Last edited:
Ninety-Three

and change,lol, sorry don't remember how much change.
Only successful run of four . I drove there, dropped my exhaust, bolted on the 325/50-15BFG-DRs and gave it a shot. Two runs were missed-shifts , one was 87mph IIRC, and on another apparently the light in my lane didn't work, so I said one more and I quit! The 4th was a charmer. But I still quit. My 20 yr old son was with me, who was well acquainted with the car , so I tossed him the keys, and said " You wanna try it?". He politely declined. Such a nice boy, to not take away my thunder! Back to the pits and back into street trim, and then off for some track-food. Man you always gotta have some crappy track-food.......and some T-shirts to memorialize the day.

Last edited:
a well tune 340 is a handful on the street .put your money in the drive line good converter and rear end ,good axles and the right gear and have fun for a long time .
I can't disagree with that. A stroked small block is truly a thing of beauty, but a moderately built 340 is also a force to be reckoned with. My 340 has about 375 HP, sounds AWESOME, and will melt the tires. A stroked 340 will cost a lot more to build, so if it is only for street driving, consider just building the 340. Unless, of course, money is no object.

Ninety-Three

and change,lol, sorry don't remember how much change.
Only successful run of four . I drove there, dropped my exhaust, bolted on the 325/50-15BFG-DRs and gave it a shot. Two runs were missed-shifts , one was 87mph IIRC, and on another apparently the light in my lane didn't work, so I said one more and I quit! The 4th was a charmer. But I still quit. My 20 yr old son was with me, who was well acquainted with the car , so I tossed him the keys, and said " You wanna try it?". He politely declined. Such a nice boy, to not take away my thunder! Back to the pits and back into street trim, and then off for some track-food. Man you always gotta have some crappy track-food.......and some T-shirts to memorialize the day.

93 is probably 7.30's if the chassis is decent unless it spun a little off the line, if it did the mph will be a little high for what it would normally run. It's a stick?

IMO, what a car will do with drag radials on the street is not a good indicator of the car as they don't work well on even mediocre surfaces, like T&T night at drag strips. They don't work well on stick cars either, there probably are a few guys that can make them work but it takes a good suspension. If you'r serious about playing on the street run bias tires.

Small tires can be fast but it takes a good suspension and a lot of work, I think there are 26 x 8.5 cars are running 5.20's now.

As to the DRs and a stick;That was my thought too, A track official came over and said the tires were still smoking thru the traps. Well that would explain my tach stuck on 7000 the whole way, I thought.
I had been thinking I blew a clutch, but there was no smell/stink. So on the next and final run, I revved 'er up to mid3000s and slipped the clutch out while simultaneously applying gas. Got my best 60ft that way, a mid 2.2x, sorry, I don't recall exact,maybe a 6, or a 4. The 60fts were all crap; a local club had rented an airport runway for the day.
I have a GVOD and use it as a splitter
For this day, I had installed 4.86s, and was running the A833Deep-Low. So the ratios were
3.09-2.41-1.92-1.50-1.40-1.09-1.00-.78 GV in red
I was expecting to trap maybe in the mid 80s, so 85 shouldabin a tic under 5600, about right for the 230 cam. But the tach had been stuck on 7000 since I blasted off, And I was not yet to the finish line, I thought it prudent to shift, so into 1.09 it went,which is a pretty big drop from 1.50ratio.But the tach never dropped. 93 shouldabin about 6100, hence why I thought the clutch was cooked.Of course I had no idea of my speed until I got back to the tower, and no idea about this math until I worked it out in the pits.
I also didn't believe the 93, so went straight to the tower to talk to the guys, who insisted the clock was right. So I went and tracked down the guy in the other lane, and queried him. He had a prepped car,faster than mine, and said his time was on the money. And no one else was disputing there tickets, so, I had to conclude that my numbers were accurate.
Well, 93 is a pretty good number for a DD I thought, and I was sortof in a daze about that. I know I shoulda made a back-up run, but the thought never crossed my mind that 10 years later, I'd be on a forum where thischit mattered,lol. I was just real happy the car survived, and the trapspeed was just to shut the guys up who kept saying,"you shoulda built a 340, they were fast". And so I pasted the slip on the windshield, and for a long,long time I didn't hear that chit any more, and I also started calling the 367 a stroked 340 with a 360 crank, which was 2/3rds true; it did have a 4.04 bore,and it did have a 360 crank,lol.
Oh yeah, the time was 7.92, .......with maybe a 2.26 60ft.
So a 7.3x mightabin possible with a SS type suspension, But I'm used to cars that make it to 50 in that time lol, so at 93, I was walking on air for a very long time.
The Wallace turns a 93Eighth into a 115.32qtr, and says that's 403hp at my track weight of 3467 that day;and that sounds about right. With SS suspension that should translate to an 11.6ET....and that back calculates to a 7.3Eighth; so you're on the money. I'm happy to know the potential, but not gonna pursue it.
If you mighta noticed; I used 5 ratios to make the run, but honestly 1st was a bust; 4.86x3.09= a 15.02 starter gear and an 11.71 second gear. I had chosen that 4.86, so I could trap in second/over or third..... I thought. That shoulda been 77mphin Second/over, or 83 in third. I had no idea I was gonna be in the 90s. I currently run 3.55s for a starter of 10.97, and at 93, she would now trap in second-over. Ironically, 3.55s were what I took out the day before, to install the 4.86s,lol. And Monday evening, the 3.55s went back in. And they've been in there ever since that day in 2004. They're perfect; 4 ratios to106@7000, and cruises 65=2240rpm

-
Back