340 TA Heads....

-
When did Edelbrock first put out the Victor for the sb Chrysler?

I don't have dates, but I'm sure that it was after the Holley Strip Dominator intake came out. Despite the Holley rpm range listed that's closer to the Victor, all 3 have their own "best range" & application. Based on design, which includes an obviously shallower plenum area than the Victor, the Strip Dominator could be considered in between the Port-O-Sonic and Victor.

I don't recall if I tested the Victor on my Dart Sport when I first got it. But I always felt that the Victor would be giving up too much bottom end for my particular application. But testing a Weiand Stealth against the Strip Dominator, the Holley was faster.

Becareful what epoxy you use if you do move the pushrod hole. Some don’t like pump gas and it could start pulling oil into the intake port. The best epoxy for this is belzona super metal, but it is about $280 a kilo.

At home? Your brave! Put some automotive epoxy on a 2.5 x .500 steel rod and drive it in. Use a grinder to even everything out if it if it matters to you as its under the valve cover anyway. Get your best 1/2 inch carbide drill and drill the new hole using measurements . Start porting your intake and when you get close to breaking through the original hole, your iron will turn 50 shades of blue. if you keep going you'll just start grinding into the metal rod, no harm as its a permanent part of the head now. Now all of this can be done at a machine shop too. Loco beat me too it.
View attachment 1715178435

I always assumed folks used "good procedure" (preheat) and brazed the original holes

Sure would'ha been nice, "let's say" when Ma built the 340, "she" had redesigned enough stuff to eliminate these kinds of problems. Instead, what we essentially have, clear up to the Magnums.........is a 273 block...........

I always assumed folks used "good procedure" (preheat) and brazed the original holes
And that’s a problem!

Sure would'ha been nice, "let's say" when Ma built the 340, "she" had redesigned enough stuff to eliminate these kinds of problems. Instead, what we essentially have, clear up to the Magnums.........is a 273 block...........
It would have been nice if they went from the Poly straight to a 48* race block!

I just found out a have a pair of those TA 340 heads. They look clean and stock. Are these worth anything? if so, I might sell it to a person who needs one.

Man, i dunno, put em on and run em. If you want performance heads get the Edelbrocks. I suppose the TA heads were worth chasing back in the day, but now, there are affordable "brand new" alternatives

I just found out a have a pair of those TA 340 heads. They look clean and stock. Are these worth anything? if so, I might sell it to a person who needs one.
If they really are TA heads they can be worth a bit. The casting #'s can be the same on regular 340 heads and TA heads. Rocker arms an push rod holes in the head are different on TA's. There is a set with no rocker gear on the E body site for sale for 3k? Seems way high but who knows what someone will pay
I sold a set a few years back that needed to be rebuilt with the rocker gear for $1400.00. It took a bit but someone on the e-body forum bought them.
Careful, I got a lot messages of them not being TA heads and people willing to buy them at scrap price..

ta.jpg

There really only worth something to the restorer. Someone who wants those “Authentic” heads on their “Authentic T/A - AAR car.”

TRULY! The above post on better heads for performance is dead balls accurate.

I know two guys looking for singles right now, one here in PA & one in Australia. I think I can still send PMs here, but I never see replies so I'll see if I can message you with my email address.

I also now an exporter that ships to AU, so I could handle that part.

I know two guys looking for singles right now, one here in PA & one in Australia. I think I can still send PMs here, but I never see replies so I'll see if I can message you with my email address.

I also now an exporter that ships to AU, so I could handle that part.
** Im chasing one T/A head , must be stock with no port work at all. - I have a complete set of T/A rocker gear that i would consider trading for a good T/A head .

You are the guy I was talking about, I just saw your post in Jeff's facebook & then I checked the post here......

Man, i dunno, put em on and run em. If you want performance heads get the Edelbrocks. I suppose the TA heads were worth chasing back in the day, but now, there are affordable "brand new" alternatives
to me, I like factory iron. Yes the Eddys are a better flowing head... But a rare set of factory Iron is cool in my book. ;)

-
Back