360 advice

-

tyler1

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My duster is being prepped for paint as we speak and i was considering pulling the motor to go ahead and respray the engine bay black. I don't know a lot about the current motor but it is a manufactured Chrysler 360 long block with part number R0501716. It is completly fresh and only has the cam broke it but from my understanding its just a low compression 360 with smog heads. I am looking to make 375-400 HP. Would it be possible to just throw in a set of kb107 pistons, edelbrock or comparable heads, ld340, holley 770 street avenger, and comp xe274h cam and run the car or will a complete tear down be necessary? I have never done anything along these lines so your input would be appreciated. I am also running an 8 3/4 391 SG, and i would have dynamic build a convertor to meet my needs.

Attachments

• IMAG0337-1.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 1,459
If your going as far as changing pistons at least check everything out, and build the engine up right. What are your intentions for the car? Budget? These 2 items will determine what to do.

If you can afforord a head change a set of close chamber heads and the part you listed will do just great for your goal maybe even small chamber rpms and header . I don't see why you would have to tear the motor down...but 340s is my thing and not a 360 builder.

Before you do anything get a custom 9 1/2" converter built by Sean at Dynamic and install it.
This change alone will make a huge difference...if you still want more performance go ahead with your upgrades...Dynamic can adjust your converter to your new engine.

yah while your at it just go buy the stroker kit under mechanical parts for sale for $1100.00 in the search in the back was yesterdays or day before thats cheap but yes your going over 400 hp dont forget the headersyour there but i would use the rhs indy heads if you got the $ its a gr8 deal for some 1 who can afford it otherwise summit selling it for under 1300.00 so your saving 200 right off the bat you"ll have a killer car with alot of room to grow for not alot of $

I am sort of on a budget but i can afford a head change. I really don't want to tear it down and have any machine work done, other than just a hone for new pistons. It will all depend on what it looks like when i pull the motor. I would just prefer to have a quick turn around.

put the heads and cam in it and get your converter built you will be more than happy.

well you:ll find alot of answers when you crack it open and start reading the story

X2.,last post.You have gear,willing to buy a really good torque converter. Good to go.

Thanks for the replies, assuming its a compression is around 8-1, how much would a head swap bump me up too.

Probably ,.8 .Use the Mr Gasket 1121g's ..028 compressed. Degree the cam,please.Those head gaskets,3 tenths across the board,over stock. Run the cam.

Thanks for the replies, assuming its a compression is around 8-1, how much would a head swap bump me up too.
shooting from the hip here and not doing the math I would say surfacing 20 thousands off your heads and thin head gaskets will put you around 9to 1 ,,,but if you go to a closed chamber 10,5 or more?

FYI if you change to KB 107's they will require crank balancing.
If the motor was just rebuilt put it back in after the repaint, buy a good convertor and drive it.
This will tell you what you need / don't need to do.

-
Back