360 LA ignition timing…where is #1?

-

Sdriche

Reaction score
I can’t believe I’m asking this but I’m getting different answers from reliable sources. Trying to time a 1974 360 and being told #1 is drivers front and also passenger rear. When I google it shows both.

Thank you!! That's what I thought. My 'expert' friend who is a seasoned Mopar guy convinced me it was Pass rear which I now realize is cyl 8 so thats what I timed it off of . I'm now replacing an exploded muffler and trying to chase down a carb backfire. I think i know what the problem is :)

:eek::thumbsup::popcorn: I’m partly just here for the comments! But it never hurts to know the firing order from memory. This will help.

I was going to reply, but someone beat me to it... Bad timing...

You can also time it off #-6, the second from back, passenger side .
That's probably what he's thinking.
1 & 6 on most V-8s
1 & 6 on most inline 6 cyls
1 & 4 on most 4 cyls

Last edited:
From the service manual.

318 firing order diagram.jpg

Attachments

• 318-340-DISTRIBUTOR-DRIVE-GEAR-ALIGNMENT (4).pdf
    1 MB · Views: 40
Maybe he owned an IHC (Corn National Inter Binder) They time off no8 The traditional Ford FE/ 289 firing order--if you re number the cylinders to match GM/ Chrysler, is the same firing order.

It's important to have the right books to reference this info. Don't rely completely on what people tell you. They are often wrong!

It's important to have the right books to reference this info. Don't rely completely on what people tell you. They are often wrong!
If your referring to my comment, it's fact, - pretty basic, - you just have to look at the plug wire 180* from #1 plug (trigger) wire, they both have TDC at the timing mark .

Last edited:
-
Back