360 Magnum Build SFS (S-crounging F-or S-craps)

-

RAMM

Reaction score
So I figured I wasn't getting any younger and waiting for this world to normalize probably isn't going to happen for awhile, decided to go ahead and try and build a decent small block based on a 5.9 core I had lying in wait. This IS destined for my 83 D-150 Shorty and it IS going to be completed by spring/summer of 2023 one way or the other. The plan is to spend as much time with my younger ones and keep my daughter (who is right into this stuff) away from the boys. I gotta say its been interesting sourcing even the most basic of parts like camshafts, pistons, bearings and even certain head gaskets. I've kicked this build off quite awhile ago and even posted a thread asking about hydraulic roller cam availability to which I did call the suggested leads and none of them had any cores--they all offered to regrind but I'm not desperate enough for that yet.
Block was stripped and blasted last week--rust never sleeps.
Never noticed the nice chamfer/undercuts at the bottom of the cylinders before-NICE.
Quick Run Down:
4.020" bore x 3.58" stroke stock crank
SCAT 6.123 I-beams
Mahle flat tops 1.5mm/1.5mm/3.0mm older ring pack
Lunati Solid Roller (yes I found one)
Modified stock roller lifters -Melling replacements
Eddy Magnum Heads? < not sure yet
Weiand X-celerator or Offy T-ram
10.5-10.8 comp
Excellent street manners with the 3.55 rear and R154 5spd
Looking for 450+ HP/TQ

The pieces are slowly coming together but I have most of the rear end and almost all of the R154 swap parts on hand. Looking forward to winter for once. J.Rob

20220910_134934.jpg

20220910_134942.jpg

20220910_135007.jpg

I like this build!!
What are the specs on the cam?

i have a similar 360 build i have going but with a 3yr old and 6mo old plus house projects it’s really slow going…

I like this build!!
What are the specs on the cam?

i have a similar 360 build i have going but with a 3yr old and 6mo old plus house projects it’s really slow going…

Specs are 231/237 @.050" .555"/.566" 110

Enjoy those little ones-they don't stay little long. J.Rob

Snagged a super good deal on the rear disc brake kit--couldn't be happier with the price! J.Rob

20220910_192709.jpg

Nice to see your back with a engine build post.
Very cool dude.

Where are the slugs going to sit? Zero deck?
Just making do with the Lunati on a 110?
I myself would put it on a 106/107. (1.94 - 2.02 valve split choice.)

Nice to see your back with a engine build post.
Very cool dude.

Where are the slugs going to sit? Zero deck?
Just making do with the Lunati on a 110?
I myself would put it on a 106/107. (1.94 - 2.02 valve split choice.)

Good to be back Rumble- No looks like slugs will be +.014-.015" above deck , so using a .054" gasket. Surprisingly not looking for torque like usual, looking for a 360 that runs easily to 6300 or so and not kill the Japansee Tranny. This is not my dream build like I had intended but is more of a " look around the shop- pick a starting point an GO" . That being said I can't leave well enough alone so this will incorporate some weirdness (some call it tricks). The bottom end will be very straightforward, the top end may get a little funky. The vehicle itself will have some what I hope to be innovative features. J.Rob

Well, the LA intakes on to a Magnum head is a weird one.
Comp cams, PRW come to mind as oil-able through pushrod optioned rockers. But that depends on what’s on hand and the builder wallet or willingness to spend. It’s not always an option to just spend away.

Well, the LA intakes on to a Magnum head is a weird one.
Comp cams, PRW come to mind as oil-able through pushrod optioned rockers. But that depends on what’s on hand and the builder wallet or willingness to spend. It’s not always an option to just spend away.

Well, I will have to machine the intake face of the heads for the LA manifolds, but the valve train is all Chevy. Probably go Scorpion 1.65/1.6 if available. J.Rob

Ahhhhhh, yes! The Chevy rocker arms for the Magnum heads. A wonderful little side benny.

Doing the re drilled it for the LA head ain’t to hard to for you is it?

Last edited:
Ahhhhhh, yes! The Chevy rocker arms for the Magnum heads. A wonderful little side benny.

Soing the re drilled it for the LA head ain’t to hard to for you is it?

Not really into it but have a set bare that are the right price. Never did it before but might as well put the milling machine to good use. J.Rob

Can you provide a little more info on the lifters?
Modified stock roller lifters -Melling replacements
Thanks, I always enjoy reading these threads.

...and almost all of the R154 swap parts on hand.

Just curious if the R154 is left over from a G3 Hemi swapped Supra. Tripped over a thread yesterday from a couple of years ago, no idea if it had any connection to you.

Love the idea of the R154 in a truck. Looking forward to seeing it done.

Yes it was the intent but some young fella paid me $600 more than I bought the Supra for and I got to keep the transmission. Those deals don't often come my way. J.Rob

Looks like Speedmaster Aluminum heads are in the cards as they are the only thing available ATM. Going to go with a very custom rocker set up that will achieve over .660 lift on the intake, gonna be a challenge to keep it stable, but if it works.....J.Rob

Last edited:
-
Back