360 Magnum Build SFS (S-crounging F-or S-craps)

-
Nice to see some experimentation. I wouldn’t hesitate to convert the stock hydraulic roller lifters to solids, but I don’t know what I don’t know.

Is that a triple bolt pattern rotor? What size and ballpark price for the kit?
The number of holes = 15 which is 15/5=3 so yes triple pattern. 12.19" diameter and can't share the price as it was a wholesale closeout for dealers only--but it was WAY under a grand CDN $$$. J.Rob

So, I know I'm slow but there has been some progress in the parts procurement department. It's nice to have tangible parts come in. Believe it or not these are the first SBM Speedmasters I've seen. Looking forward to flowtesting and sharing info here. J.Rob

p.s. Interesting disclaimer in the box.

SpeedmasterHeads.jpg

Speedmasterdisclaimer.jpg

Here's where its starting to get serious and is a total divergence from the original plan. What you see here is the Ferrea 2.02/1.60 hollow stem valves, T&D 1.7/1.8 steel rockers with no adjuster, and Jesel .904 DLC coated "Dogbone" solid roller lifters with .820" wheel. J.Rob

SBMvalvetrainparts.jpg

I will have to machine some custom "dogbones" because as you can see "Houston, We have a problem" .

I was all excited too because I thought maybe this part would be easy. The oil band is in the right location, they're super light, they feel absolutely silky in the lifter bores and all I had to do was machine the OEM dogbone flats .015" per side--Easy peezy.... Nope. Can you guys spot the problem? It actually took me quite awhile before I realized it. J.Rob

OEMliftervsJesel.jpg

Bingo. J.Rob

That sucks.

Don't think I would have caught it if I hadn't been trying to figure out why you had one roller rotated 90 to the other in your pic. Pretty subtle but huge difference.

Can't imagine the carnage if that hadn't been caught.

Does Jesel have a dogbone they expect to be used with these?

Very interested to see what you come up with for a dog bone for those lifters.

6681966C-9D35-4184-8420-934E29F41F03.png

Looking at the Jesel style of hold down, I’m not sure you can get there with a typical magnum dog bone.

I will have to machine some custom "dogbones" because as you can see "Houston, We have a problem" .

I was all excited too because I thought maybe this part would be easy. The oil band is in the right location, they're super light, they feel absolutely silky in the lifter bores and all I had to do was machine the OEM dogbone flats .015" per side--Easy peezy.... Nope. Can you guys spot the problem? It actually took me quite awhile before I realized it. J.Rob

View attachment 1716022884
AMAZING, just simply OUTSTANDING!!!
If not INCREDIBLE!!!!
I hope someone if not a gaggle of them shove their heads up the next guys *** and breathe deeply. Someone should be fired.
View attachment 1716022913
Looking at the Jesel style of hold down, I’m not sure you can get there with a typical magnum dog bone.
Do you have a picture of that set up installed?

I'm open to suggestions. J.Rob

If not INCREDIBLE!!!!
I hope someone if not a gaggle of them shove their heads up the next guys *** and breathe deeply. Someone should be fired.

It’s not a mistake, it’s how those lifters and hold downs are designed. The stock magnum dog bones and spider are lift limited and that’s how the aftermarket gets around it. I do not have an installed pic sorry.

If not INCREDIBLE!!!!

I think you misunderstand Rumble--these lifters are designed for a Chevy. J.Rob

It’s not a mistake, it’s how those lifters and hold downs are designed. The stock magnum dog bones and spider are lift limited and that’s how the aftermarket gets around it. I do not have an installed pic sorry.
I was just wondering since I haven’t seen that part before.
Thanks bud.
I think you misunderstand Rumble--these lifters are designed for a Chevy. J.Rob
I did. Thanks.

@RAMM I thought you were going to shim up the stock hydros? Abandoned that plan because of limited lift?

Gen 7 BBC. 90 degree different than the SBC and is it a .903 diameter? Did they get that right?

20221216_130342.jpg

20221216_131417.jpg

And I could be wrong but I think all of the BBC .903 rollers will be a tie bar style of lifter.

-
Back