383 oh what to do

-

DDS74

Reaction score
So I have recently had a massive setback/failure happen to me and my little 383. I was at the track and one of my pushrods bent and let one of the lifters out of its bore and thus starved the bottom end of pressurized oil, long story short, cylinder 1&2 rods are discolored and the bearing in #1 is gone almost completely and #2 is better but far from perfect. So obviously the crank has to come out and get turned down, the 1&2 rods should probably be replaced and, from what I've heard I should have the mains line honed, and maybe replace the cam bearings too. So basically the entire engine has to be gone through and re-machined. Since I have the engine apart my idea was to throw new heads on it (indy 440ez) to make this little 383 into a real screamer, it already has new KB hypereutectic in it, and a comp cams xhl285. But it seems like everything else will probably have to be replaced? So on that note I should mention that I have an old, low compression, 440 sitting in the shop too, no work done to it, but it did run when I pulled it, but I feel it would take allot of work to get it to the point that my 383 was/is at and I think that it's cool to use the 383 because it's different. I'd like to see 500hp out of either of them, if possible. The car is mainly and drag car with very few street miles, with 4.30 gears and a built 727, if that helps in the decision making process. And of course money is always a consideration.

So I guess I'm asking you the people of the interweb, what would you do if it was you. Cut the losses on the 383, and build the 440 with stock heads(906)? Re machine the block and throw Indys on it? Stroke either of them? Any input welcome, Thanks!

Most likely cost wise, staying with the 383 may be the best bet.

Having the Mains 'Align-Honed' is not too costly, and will ensure a 'square' base
for the internal reciprocating components.

Cam Bearings. Also no big cost.

Picking up a couple of Rods, again minimal cost.

I'm sure that you are planning on having the Internals 'Balanced' again.

Since you seem to want to go fast, bigger is better. I would do the 440 with a good set of aluminum heads.

I'd rework the 383. Things to factor are will your existing exhaust setup work with the taller deck RB? The intake is different too as is the distributor. If you don't have these they add up along with pistons, machine work, etc. If the pistons, bore and cam is ok, just redo the bottom end and add the Indy heads. Then if you want more build the 440 short block while you run the 383.

If money were no object then a stroked 440 would be the way to go. I guess it depends on how deep your pockets are and how fast do you want to go?

Stroker kit! The 4.25 bore is the same as the 427 Chevy. Lots of ways to go or find a 400 block and go bigger say 470 to 500 cubes and all your externals will still fit.

Like I asked over at BigBlockDart, what is the 500HP budget?

It's a lot easier and cheaper to get 500 hp out of a 440 than a 383, since you have the cores for both, and both need to be gone through.
You say you're buying heads anyway, so they can go in the 440 including the cam you have.
The only thing you will be out is the pistons, but you could sell the 383 block and pistons to recover some of your costs to build the 440 and be ahead of the game in the long run......

431-451 is the perfect size for 500hp, bigger is just over kill unless you want a super street friendly car. Which you stated that it doesn't matter. I don't think a 3.75" stroked 383 gives up much over a 440 and it lighter internally and externally. But 400 would be the best to start from if there is a choice.

-
Back