383 stroker

-

woody30

woody30
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have seen all the comments about low decks being a better fit in an A body so I'm considering a 383 stroked to 489ci. I have looked at 440 source and see they have a stroker kit for this and the aluminum stealth heads. Figured with these components along with a roller cam in the .550 lift, 240 duration at .050 range I could have a nice 500 horse A body that was fairly streetable. What do you think?? Has anybody used these parts before and what kind of results have you had??

Those pistons are going to be SHORT. I would question the longevity. Thats alot of cubes from a low deck, do up a 400 and go LARGE!

I would also try to find a 400 to do, but the 383 would work. The budget build with the 383 is the stock cut down 440 crank for 432" 500 hp would be easy with the 440 source heads with a mild port job and maybe a cam just slightly larger than what you listed.

do a search here, member and engine builder Brian (Imm Engines) built a 498 from a 383 some time ago....nice solid build with dyno numbers. His nick here is OU812.

Michael

Also check out fishers build, same concept as what ur looking at, he got over 500HP.

Best machine put together a 383/489 for me. I went with the 383 block only because they had one machined and ready to build for a reasonable price. Mine has a K1 crank, comp hydraulic cam, untouched edelbrock heads, diamond pistons. it dyno'd around 585 hp. id have to dig up my paperwork for exact specs and numbers

Those pistons are going to be SHORT. I would question the longevity. Thats alot of cubes from a low deck, do up a 400 and go LARGE!

The 440 Source 383/496 kit uses a 6.535 Chevy rod so the compression height is the same 1.320" as the 400/512 kit or the 440/543.

Dyno'd a 440 built by someone else a while back with almost the same combination, made 495 HP. Then we stroked it to 505 and it made 650 HP with a slightly larger solid roller cam and some head work..........heck, this comment should have been posted in the reply below.......

I have seen all the comments about low decks being a better fit in an A body so I'm considering a 383 stroked to 489ci. I have looked at 440 source and see they have a stroker kit for this and the aluminum stealth heads. Figured with these components along with a roller cam in the .550 lift, 240 duration at .050 range I could have a nice 500 horse A body that was fairly streetable. What do you think?? Has anybody used these parts before and what kind of results have you had??

Go with the 20cc dish and I think it would work great.

from what I have read I would not build that motor for the street. the comp height of the piston with a 6.53 rod will be ok but I would want a longer rod for side loading. I would do the 3.91 crank with a 6.660 rod and run the same piston with a comp height of 1.35

Last one I built was a 496 kit from Muscle Motors. Good combo, with a hydraulic cam and through stock manifolds and exhaust it makes about 535hp, 560tq. (448/468 to the tires). It's pump gas (10.1:1 static), uses ported Stealths, and an Air Gap. There was no block clearancing issues even with the wet sump. With a solid flat tappet and headers I think you'll exceed your goals if the heads are good enough. If you're not going to port them, you'll want another .050" lift and another 12-15° of duration @ .050.

I did a 383 stroker magazine article years ago. That was a super nice engine. It had a factory RB crank which was turned down. I used 440 length rods. That engine ran really strong.

A 3.91 crank fits just fine or you can go with 4.150 or 4.250 stroke. Just depends what you're trying to accomplish. The extra cubes don't necessarily give you anymore HP unless you go with a bigger head and a bigger cam. But the extra cubes will give you more torque.

The extra cubes don't necessarily give you anymore HP unless you go with a bigger head and a bigger cam. But the extra cubes will give you more torque.

Hence why strokers are street favorites. Nothing like lots-O-torque on the street or strip. More leverage to move the car easier.

The 440 Source 383/496 kit uses a 6.535 Chevy rod so the compression height is the same 1.320" as the 400/512 kit or the 440/543.

Dyno'd a 440 built by someone else a while back with almost the same combination, made 495 HP. Then we stroked it to 505 and it made 650 HP with a slightly larger solid roller cam and some head work..........heck, this comment should have been posted in the reply below.......

Damn,that's a big difference...

-
Back