4 speed VS Automatic

-

Plumcrazyfreak

Reaction score
Alright Fabo's I want your input.

Comparing Apples to Apples.

Same cars, same suspension, Same engine build, same tires. Which one is going to get me down the track first & why.

A automatic will. A manual trans car can tolorate a bigger cam and more gear and when equiped with the exact same engine, in, at a race track, you can use the stall converter to your advantage, hi stall launch and trans brake, shift quicker.

However, if you learn the 4spd well and I mean real well, you can stand toe to toe with a auto trans car. You yourself must be able to shift the trans as quickly and without any effort as quick and efficently as an auto trans to compete.

Good luck with that, start slow and work up speed.

(Once apon a time I was good at rowing my own boat. No fear and takeing on all comers....)

The 4sp is faster but the auto is more conssistant. Check out the superstock A and the superstock AA cars.The A cars are stickshift and the AA cars are auto.It takes more horsepower to move a auto trans then a 4sp. But you see more automatic trans out there because of what Robbie2734 said you have to be a really good shifter.In superstock racing the stickshift cars faster but the autos most likely wins the race. Mark

down the track...

i would use a auto...

unless you know how to set up a clutch for racing...and rear suspension..the auto is easier...

The same car if its manual, it will make
more power the wheels than the automatic would.

A manual gearbox is also lighter too than the conventional
automatic.
Someone will know for sure though,feel free to correct me.

I have both..

The 4 speed is fun,I,m never consistant though.LOL!That,s just me being nervous about breakage.

The auto is easy and I,m getting older and lazier.Just don,t want to be wrenching as much.

I,ve seen alot of little turbo piss cutters (4 or 5 speed manual)cleanup against big and small block autos!So it,s your choice.Have fun and play safe!

The four speed has the potential to go faster with the same set up, it weighs less and has less parasitic drivetrain loss. So, if everything else is the same, the 4 speed car will put more power to the ground.

But usually racing is more about consistency than the absolute fastest time, so the auto usually wins out. Perfect run to perfect run, the 4 speed will win. But unless you're VERY consistent with rowing your gears and have a skilled driver that knows how to control the clutch and gearbox to hook the car and make use of that extra power the auto will win more races.

well the 4 speed should have a lower first gear so that helps. but these days with converter technology and trans brakes its really hard to beat an automatic. back in the day it was 4 speed. but with todays automatic i would say automatic.

I have never raced either myself yet but asked this question a while ago and have learned its up to personal preference....autos are very consistent since all you have to do is shift with your hand (if its a manual vb anyways) and are much easier on parts...one thing you should consider is how fast you plan on going...the faster you go with a stick, the more parts you will break against an automatic...its just the nature of it (however the mopar 4 speed is one strong mother so it should be able to hold up for a while to even something with pretty big power)...i was dead set on autos myself until i realized something- a stick car can be just as deadly consistant as an automatic as long as you know how to drive and drive damn well! lol good luck with your choice

well that's a loaded question. what was the motor built for, an auto or 4 speed? what is the suspension tuned for an auto or a for speed? the tires don't matter one way or the other. so in the end there is no real answer to it because they are COMPLETELY two different animals.

A loaded question, LOL this is actually true and I answered it as if neither were set up for the engine,
but in a general manor.
That reminds me now, a winner of pinks rowed his 5spd Duster to a victory.

The 4sp is faster but the auto is more conssistant. Check out the superstock A and the superstock AA cars.The A cars are stickshift and the AA cars are auto.It takes more horsepower to move a auto trans then a 4sp. But you see more automatic trans out there because of what Robbie2734 said you have to be a really good shifter.In superstock racing the stickshift cars faster but the autos most likely wins the race. Mark

couldnt this be true only due to converter restrictions in s/s classes. converter torque multiplication is a big factor.

hi, I notice no racers on here. I race a 4 spd duster. it is more consitent than an automatic is. most automatics vary few hundreds to a tenth. i have made up to 6 passes and varied only 5 thousands. the automatic is affected by trans temp and convertor temp. that is a variable. automatics are fine for the average guy. it takes a 4 spd lover to run a manual trans. and a slick shifted trans does not lose any ground to an automatic on the shift. as for winning, john calvert won the winternationals with a stick shift car A/S. he was very consistent. just food for thought

I myself lean towards the 4 speed! You have to shift fast and keep your foot in it! This last weekend I posted my 3 qualifying runs @ 13.35, 13.33 and 13.335 with an .004, .007 and .002 reaction times! Not bad for a new guy with a stick!

Take your automatic and stick it!

i just went back to a 4-speed in my car. its ran 10.60's leaving off idle with a tight 10" convertor and a 727. i ordered up a Denny's drive shaft this week, and im currently breaking the clutch in so we'll see what it does with a pro-shifted liberty box. the suspension is set up for the stick already. it sure is alot more fun just driving it around. :-D

i just went back to a 4-speed in my car. its ran 10.60's leaving off idle with a tight 10" convertor and a 727. i ordered up a Denny's drive shaft this week, and im currently breaking the clutch in so we'll see what it does with a pro-shifted liberty box. the suspension is set up for the stick already. it sure is alot more fun just driving it around. :-D

I can just imagine how much of a hoot it must be to drive that elephant powered beast with a stick....hopefully you'll get some pretty good times with her at the track....good luck

If You Take The Same Eng. And Car Set Up The 4 Speed Is Limited To What Ratios You Can Run, But The Auto Can Be Changed With Gearing And Converters . Sorry But The 4 Speed Loses Every Time. The Reation Time Is On The Ability Of Driver. Now You Guys That Are Setting Up For Standard Trans And Changing Supension , The Question Was The Same Set Up. We Are Talking Trans For Trans. Did You Read The Post?

If You Take The Same Eng. And Car Set Up The 4 Speed Is Limited To What Ratios You Can Run, But The Auto Can Be Changed With Gearing And Converters . Sorry But The 4 Speed Loses Every Time. The Reation Time Is On The Ability Of Driver. Now You Guys That Are Setting Up For Standard Trans And Changing Supension , The Question Was The Same Set Up. We Are Talking Trans For Trans. Did You Read The Post?

i have to totally disagree there...dont understand what you mean by ratios (maybe rearend? dont understand how it would be limited)...what it comes down too is learn how to drive, for real...anybody can drive a fast automatic car (most guys have a quik right hand if you know what i mean LOL) but it takes real skill to drive a stick...and really how can you say that with the exact same setup in a stick car or auto car the auto will win- its setup for either or, so obviously the car setup for auto with a stick in it will not be as good as the car setup for auto with an auto...now im wondering if you read the post....(not trying to be a d-weed here, just giving my opinion)...get a stick, i think you will be glad you did unless its an all out 9second or faster race car

i have to totally disagree there...dont understand what you mean by ratios (maybe rearend? dont understand how it would be limited)...what it comes down too is learn how to drive, for real...anybody can drive a fast automatic car (most guys have a quik right hand if you know what i mean LOL) but it takes real skill to drive a stick...and really how can you say that with the exact same setup in a stick car or auto car the auto will win- its setup for either or, so obviously the car setup for auto with a stick in it will not be as good as the car setup for auto with an auto...now im wondering if you read the post....(not trying to be a d-weed here, just giving my opinion)...get a stick, i think you will be glad you did unless its an all out 9second or faster race car
THE 4SPEED TRANS HAS GEAR RATIOS , THE RATIO CHANGES WITH HOW MANY TEETH ON EACH GEAR . AND THERE ISN'T VERY MANY COMBO'S . I HAVE RACED BOTH 4 SPEED CARS AND AUTO CARS EVEN A FUNNIE CAR WITH AIR BOX, AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST A 904 AUTO. BEHIND A 20 OVER 360. IN A 72 DART . HERES A GOOD CHALLENGE IF YOU ARE RUNNING A 360 WITH J HEADS POST YOUR 60 FT TIMES AND 660 TIMES AND MPH LETS SEE WHO IS FASTER? IF IT DOESN'T RAIN SAT NIGHT I WILL POST MY TIMES . SO FAR MY BEST 60 FT IS 1.42 AND 6.40 660 GOOD LUCK 4/ SD.

THE 4SPEED TRANS HAS GEAR RATIOS , THE RATIO CHANGES WITH HOW MANY TEETH ON EACH GEAR . AND THERE ISN'T VERY MANY COMBO'S . I HAVE RACED BOTH 4 SPEED CARS AND AUTO CARS EVEN A FUNNIE CAR WITH AIR BOX, AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST A 904 AUTO. BEHIND A 20 OVER 360. IN A 72 DART . HERES A GOOD CHALLENGE IF YOU ARE RUNNING A 360 WITH J HEADS POST YOUR 60 FT TIMES AND 660 TIMES AND MPH LETS SEE WHO IS FASTER? IF IT DOESN'T RAIN SAT NIGHT I WILL POST MY TIMES . SO FAR MY BEST 60 FT IS 1.42 AND 6.40 660 GOOD LUCK 4/ SD.

I ran a 4spd car in Superstock for years. Liberty and Jerico have many many ratios for manual tranys. I would say there are more for a manual than there are for the auto. A well set up manual is limited only by how fast you can pull the stick.

you don't make much sense. with an adjustable clutch you can have more control over how the car leaves than you do with one convertor. bottom line is i like a car you have to drive. i'm tired of all the delay box air shifted bullshit that my mother could drive. really don't care what anybody thinks, i like it and thats all it matter to me. 8)

you don't make much sense. with an adjustable clutch you can have more control over how the car leaves than you do with one convertor. bottom line is i like a car you have to drive. i'm tired of all the delay box air shifted bullshit that my mother could drive. really don't care what anybody thinks, i like it and thats all it matter to me. 8)
WHAT REALY HERTS! IS THE DELAY BOX CARS BEAT THE NONE DELAY BOX CARS.YOU CAN'T SHIFT AS FAST AS THE AIR SHIFTER, AND THE SUPER PRO CLASSES ARE WHERE THE MONEY IS. MY LITTLE SMALL BLOCK IS JUST AS FAST AS YOUR 505 INCH HEMIROID AND IT'S A AUTOMATIC!!! HA HA! :butthead:

-
Back