416 build what cam ?

-

pat d

Reaction score
building a 416 and i have a set of 596 heads with 160/202s what cam should i use ? the car is 73 duster manual brakes 727/trans 8 or 9'' conv depending on who u ask old turbo action 410 gears 28'' tires will be used alot on the 1/8th. i have a 528 purple solid flat tap that i can use any good ?

if thats what you have use it.it will be a stump puller...:evil4:

408/416 builds,love solid flat tappets.My 408 had a Comp 294s in it.Thing was responsive as hell.

iknow the heads r the limiting factor but its all i can afford right now I had this cam in my 340 sounded great and ran great still felt like it pulled well past 6500 will i give up any power by not going bigger maybe 550'' and should I put bigger valves in the head I have some 208s

Don;t bother with bigger valves unless you're porting the heads. IMO - better to simply replace the heads because money-wise you're going to spend within some hundreds of a better set of new heads on updating the old ones. Save up if you need to because that choice also affects the piston choices you have... The .528 IMO is way too small. It will work, but it's not enough even with the wheezy factory heads. You will want to look at something at least 245° @ .050 and around .550 lift.

if thats what you have use it.it will be a stump puller...:evil4:

Ain't that the truth....:).

I have to agree with the others that you should probably go with more cam, mainly to up the torque curve rpm a little. This could actually be one of the rare occasions that you'd end up with too much converter using the .528" combo?

grind # s2564-10 cam motion 546 546 and 256 256 @50 great cam in a 416 revs instantly terriffic torque and idles real good at 1000 rpm.

I "MIGHT" be selling the Bullet cam out of my 416 depending on how things go if you would be interested. It definitely makes some power and sounds good, but I can't tell you just yet what the specs are. I'm still waiting on that info from the engine builder. Considering changing over to a solid roller. So if I do, I'll be putting this cam on the market.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4LWwP4tkfo"]Dart rolling out - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjhxraQcv60"]Dodge Dart 416 Stroker Open Headers - YouTube[/ame]

Only,Rumblefish!(lol!). The one ingredient missing,what is the O.P,willing/can spend?......

yes i am trying to save as much as i can without being to stupid as for the heads i want to do some mild port work plus gasket match I have the 208s laying around they where in my old j heads that i also had the cam springs lifters ect. I burned a head gasket and it burned a channel in between #5&7 ruined block and 1 head so i was trying to see what i can use or salvage

If you have 2.02/1.60's,check out the basic pocket porting thread .Wild n Crazy,deserves the thanks.You can send him a P.M..This guy ports,with results.

Since you say it will see a lot of action in the 1/8th mile and you have 4.10 gears with 28" tires you need some torque which the .528 will provide. My vote is save some money and use what ya got until you can afford better heads (they are a big limiting factor). When you can upgrade heads get a custom cam ground for the combination. JMHO

what are some of the 416 combos that have been built and what kind of horsepower#can i expect. i plan on going with flat tops 596 heads 1-5/8s headers air gap manifold 700dbl pump. is this carb too small and cam still thinking about right size

I've used the 528 in 2 different engines, they both sucked! Had excellent luck with the MP 296/557 solid in my old 340!

why did that cam suck? just wondering .i bought my old engine with this cam in it and it seamed to be pretty good but ive never had any other cams to compare it too

Pat, the .528" is a pretty streetable cam in a moderate 340/360. In a 4" stroke engine, it will be relatively mild. It should make mad torque, especially with the heads you are using, but as a race cam???

As I said in my quote below from earlier. I can see this engine making peak power at 5300/5500 rpm's max. But with 500 lbs.ft. down low and a 8/9" converter that may stall in the high 4k's to near 5000 rpm, it doesn't leave much room for sh!tin & gitin. My opinion is you need to upgrade the cam a little or get a converter more matched to your combo.

I have to agree with the others that you should probably go with more cam, mainly to up the torque curve rpm a little. This could actually be one of the rare occasions that you'd end up with too much converter using the .528" combo?

thanks oldman and thanks to the rest of you. my head is swirling now lots of info to think about

I was not trying to be sarcastic if that sounded that way just alot to think about

I was not trying to be sarcastic if that sounded that way just alot to think about

Absolutely not Pat. I've been around for a while and whenever I try to think of combo's, it drive's me nut's too...lol. If you have time to weigh your options, it's a good thing. I'll try and run some numbers to see what I can come up with. Just remember, a mild 400+ engine in a A body with 4.10 gears can be a nasty ride. :D

nice little cam for that would be a com cams 20-228-4
you got a higher stall and wanna pull it hard a 308 H i think is the cam #
theres a mp cam on e bay right now thats like a 528 lift i beleive they want like 120 with lifters youLL be over what you need but not as much as you want for hp

ok guys school me a little bit and excuse the rambling this was my old combo 340 .30 11.5-1 pop ups [mopar/forged] j heads mild port work 208in-160ex air gap 700dbl pump holley mopar purple solid 528-248/248 [old school] 1 5/8s headers 3'' ex 8/9''turbo action conv 4.10 gears 28'' slicks i ran a best of 7.7@88mph 1.7 60ft [i know].How much or mobetter will a 416 be i want to try for 6.9-7.0.this is in the 8th and the track sucks only 1 lane that is all concr other side all assfalt help me understand

-
Back