440?

-
Did you use the Schumacher headers or? Probably researching this to death. I only want to spend the money once. That's why I'm picking you alls brains... Thanks for all the advice!

I've used Schumacher and TTI. Really depends on your engine combo which way to go but they both fit well. The schumachers are a little easier but they do sacrifice performance.

Did you use the Schumacher headers or? Probably researching this to death. I only want to spend the money once. That's why I'm picking you alls brains... Thanks for all the advice!
I did the whole Schumacher kit, mine was a slant K member, actually pretty straight forward. What I liked it was all in the kit what was needed.

What is the best way to go for cooling?
Rad, fan, water pump and housing, etc?

I have a three core aluminum rad and a 15" electric fan, do yourself a favor put the engine in first and see what you have room for, it gets busy up there fast.

I used Schumacher headers and they work great. Performance is very good, even at the track.

IMG_6373.jpg

I know on 440's I've seen,the passenger side header is very close to the fender. Do you have trouble with paint burning off? Nice Dart. Looks like plenty of room on the drivers side. Sorry I'm asking so much, but I have 2 440's and 1 400 block and I'm wondering about going to the expense of a 451 over a 440 with lighter Pistons for a driver/ toy. May I ask what master cylinder you have on your Dart. My 67 has manual steering and brakes as well. Bet your car places well at shows! Interesting cold air system as well. Nice build. It's been 35 years since my 68 /440 cuda. That why I'm lookin for newer ideas. I only want to do this one more time...

1968 BARRACUDA NOTCH. 440

MY PASSENGER IS ABOUT A MILLIMETER OFF THE INNER FENDER WELL.... :(

AND ......

IT HAS THE numbers from the stock header stamped on it from hitting. haha :(

new mounts? idk ... i thought it was normal.
for an engine that big on an A body

When I built my 68 35 years ago, I used some kind of exhaust manifolds mounted backwards and a good exhaust person... Damned if I can remember now though. Thought about some old 413 manifolds from the mid 60's, but tryin to get some performance and keep weight down.

When I built my 68 35 years ago, I used some kind of exhaust manifolds mounted backwards and a good exhaust person... Damned if I can remember now though. Thought about some old 413 manifolds from the mid 60's, but tryin to get some performance and keep weight down.
there was a certain B/C body manifold that if switched sides, you could use on a low deck B engine but not the RB.

A couple of pictures I saw had less room than that. That's great! I'd save a lot just doin a 440. Crank guys here won't cut the counter weights and it seems simple,but I don't have a lathe. Btw, beautiful car. Is your build on this site?

Last edited:
I would love to know about your set up including specifics about cooling, trans, engine specs, etc.
Any difficulties you had to iron out to get it right?
Car and engine looks awesome, BTW!
Motor is a 446 with an Edelbrock RPM topend kit, cooling is with be-cool radiator that mounts on the frame with dual electric fans and electric water pump. Trans is TCI Competition full rev manual body. I did use Schumacher mounts with shims and headers. Best so far it ran 11.30s with cutouts open.

Last edited:
Motor is a 446 with an Edelbrock RPM topend kit, cooling is with be-cool radiator that mounts on the frame with dual electric fans and electric water pump. Trans is TCI Competition full rev manual body. I did use Schumacher mounts with shims and headers. Best so far it ran 11.30s with cutouts open.
How's that steer with manual steering and that monster engine?

Steering is ok, just can not go around turns to fast with the front skinny tires! Pushes a little. Now if you want to have great steering and go around turns fast, you need a Hotchkis TVS suspension like my son has. This is his 72 Scamp next to mine that he uses for autocross racing.

pittsraceway3.JPG

72.jpg

Steering is ok, just can not go around turns to fast with the front skinny tires! Pushes a little. Now if you want to have great steering and go around turns fast, you need a Hotchkis TVS suspension like my son has. This is his 72 Scamp next to mine that he uses for autocross racing.

View attachment 1715118502

View attachment 1715118503
Bigblock too? I'm really debating between the 5.9 magnum and the Bigblock. Had a 68 cuda 35 years ago. Thing was a beast... Tryin to relive my childhood. Lol.

Steers no different than a small block car. The weight isn't much different at all, especially if you have any lightweight parts like heads, intake,etc.

THE BEST cooling system is the 1000hp A-body unit from BE Cool.

I've used 2 of them. Pricey, but you'll never have a cooling issue and it's a bolt in deal.

Remember if you do the 400 block based 451, it being a low deck motor will give you "slightly" more room as compared to a 440

If I do a 451 I'm wanting to grind the crank counterweights by hand. Fixed income, and nobody around here does it. Journals yes,counterweights no. I saw an article on a low buck 451 build... But can't find it now. The guy said he hand ground them, dunno. I've just put in a couple of 440's long ago and let it go at that. I have 2/400's and 2/440's.so I could go either way. Just asking for opinions. Trust me I'm taking it all in.

-
Back