50’s male looking for information

Who else has what they need but crave more but have no energy to go get it?

• Suck it up buttercup; it DOES get better

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Make something happen- I will pm you my suggestion.

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Try yoga

• Switch to harder liquor

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-
I'm 58 now and I'm finding that I feel very much the same as the op. I enjoy my cars, but I really don't want to spend a lot of time working on anything lately. I find myself to be very self-critical, like what the hell am I doing at my age driving a heap like this? I have become the person who I once loathed, the old man who doesn't want to accept his own age and still thinks he is a teenager. The only difference is that my driving record is nowhere near what it was 40 years ago. Lol
I don't know what the answer is, but I really feel the same way about so many things. I couldn't even imagine buying a new car or truck, I would love to be able to retire and yet I know that I would be extremely bored without some kind of reason to get my *** moving every day.

I'm 58 now and I'm finding that I feel very much the same as the op. I enjoy my cars, but I really don't want to spend a lot of time working on anything lately. I find myself to be very self-critical, like what the hell am I doing at my age driving a heap like this? I have become the person who I once loathed, the old man who doesn't want to accept his own age and still thinks he is a teenager. The only difference is that my driving record is nowhere near what it was 40 years ago. Lol
I don't know what the answer is, but I really feel the same way about so many things. I couldn't even imagine buying a new car or truck, I would love to be able to retire and yet I know that I would be extremely bored without some kind of reason to get my *** moving every day.

I hear about people retiring and being bored all the time. I retired 3 1/2 years ago, and haven’t had one boring day. I did accept a part time job, but not for lack of something to do. I was asked if I would help, and guess I don’t know how to say no. The extra cash doesn’t hurt either.

Man will never be truly fulfilled obtaining things. Trying to do so is pointless. Sure we can have nice things like our cars and such, but they will not make us truly fulfilled.

To be truly happy you have to give, time attention and focus on others. You can do that and never go broke. It is not about money.

The sole meaning of life is to serve humanity — Leo Tolstoy.
We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give — Winston Churchill.
Making money is a happiness; making other people happy is a superhappiness — Nobel Peace Prize receipient Muhammad Yunus.
Good Luck.

Research how to create personal happiness. When you achieve it all else will fall in place. Worked for me.

Geez, and you guys think millennials are soft (Just kidding, don't cry).
Find a doctor that will prescribe you testosterone shots and get out there and kick some ***! Or something?
Thought you were going to say get your testosterone shots and F#ck some ***!!! The way I figure it ....at my age the side effects can't be any worse than death itself (which is not that far away). So enjoy life to the fullest!!!! Better to die with a smile on your face than die (a little older) with a frown>

Man will never be truly fulfilled obtaining things. Trying to do so is pointless. Sure we can have nice things like our cars and such, but they will not make us truly fulfilled.

To be truly happy you have to give, time attention and focus on others. You can do that and never go broke. It is not about money.

The sole meaning of life is to serve humanity — Leo Tolstoy.
We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give — Winston Churchill.
Making money is a happiness; making other people happy is a superhappiness — Nobel Peace Prize receipient Muhammad Yunus.
Good Luck.
The meaning of life is what you make it.

Thought you were going to say get your testosterone shots and F#ck some ***!!! The way I figure it ....at my age the side effects can't be any worse than death itself (which is not that far away). So enjoy life to the fullest!!!! Better to die with a smile on your face than die (a little older) with a frown>
Read the multi page phamplet posting MANY posible side effects of testerone.
Ask me how I know ?

I get depressed every holiday .
Sure, i enjoy the time with the children. I don't want any gifts.
I have rooms and closets full of stuff I will never wear, or hardly look at.
Cars I don't have the desire to work on, I get that.
Friends I have a few that I entertain once a year. Always good to see them but,I
Agree always the same stories, I've been trying to get them to do somethings as a group to create new stories.
I'm almost always the organizer... Trying to get friends to do different stuff....

My former boss was taking testosterone. He denies it, but I’m sure in his younger days he used steroids. The side effects he shows are bad, but he claims without it, he would be worse.

Get my cardio up. Damn, I have had foot and knee issues for the last few months and I sure don't enjoy walking right now.
I feel for you, as i know what debilitating pain is. And docs still havent come up with a solid answer.

So- Mopar people. I’ve hit that age in life where I am dangerous. I’ve got more money than time. I pick up my smart phone and stare at it looking for something, but feel let down other than conservative tin hat sites (I’m bored with) and well….. here. I’ve got nothing else to kill time. Cars were my hobby but work has taken full focus. Anyone else fell this way. Car projects - well I want them done but the energy is just not there anylonger. Still love my MoPars but not enough to dive in and complete any more.

Im not complaining, I’ve worked hard my whole life, I have money left over in small quantities and feel like I’m buying stuff just to buy. Big ticket items are out of the question- I’m not buying a new truck for what feels like 30%-40% more than it is worth when my current truck is a garage queen. I think I’m bored. Kids all grown up, don’t need Dad anymore, holidays suck, and going out with old friends just mean re telling the same stories I’ve told 100 times before. The wife is kinda the same way but she became an EMT for the local FD. She holds a full time job as an executive with a major corporation. I grant you I am blessed. Everyday I thank my lucky stars but I’m bored. Anyone else feel this way?
Hey there,
I'm with you on this. I have the money to do what I want along with a few unfinished project cars out back. I never had kids so I'm not obliged with legacy expenses like college, helping them buy a house, bail, etc....
I do have energy though. I have good health. I don't smoke, rarely drink and don't use drugs. I'm not an Olympic athlete but I am in decent shape for a man in his 50s.
Being in decent physical shape is an important thing. Just like how a car performs better with less weight, so do we. A 36 inch waist on a 5'9 frame makes a person about 210 lbs and that is starting to be unhealthy. I looked up the recommended weight for a man that is 5'10 with a medium frame and was shocked to see that it suggested 163 lbs. I was at 200 in 2006 and looked like this:

B and A 200.jpg

I lost 29 lbs and looked like this:

B and A 171.jpg

I felt better, I could move and climb better, I was faster and had more energy.
I was still 8 lbs over what was considered "ideal" but this is where I stopped my weight loss. I started the construction of my shop which was followed by several car builds. I have gained the weight back but do know that getting back to the 170 number is still possible.
I have found that for me, sometimes all I need is either to have the motivation OR the energy. If my mind is ready, it often encourages my tired body to get going. If I have energy, it moves my body until the mind gets on board. If you are tired AND unmotivated, that makes it much harder to get things done.
Good luck!

I'm 76 and retired since 2008. Yep, taking testosterone shots since for the past 15-20 years. My blood testosterone is checked every year or so and the shots are still recommended--guess my 'nads slowed down years ago. I had bad exhaustion everyday and my blood testosterone level showed looow. The shots helped that a bunch. No side effects that I can detect 'cept for the return of a fully functionable dick. Don't mind that side effect.

Body's slowing down a bit. The struggle getting up off the ground would probably make a funny video. Been trying to stop mechanin' on my '63 Dart wagon, but I have a few things to do. Antisway bars, interior work (the little I have interior talent for), normal undercar things. Might have a loose connecting rod tick so maybe an overhaul.3 speed shifter works just fine but I readjust now and then just cuz. I have many new car kits to build and a couple balsa WWll airplane kits (love balsa kits). I keep finding garage things to finish up, then model building. Perhaps. Still, the car stuff is there that needs work. Gotta admit, the body is gonna run the show in a few years. Really, I'm one lucky guy

This subject of boredom hasn't hit me too hard. I think I understand it, however) When I read this thread it hit my motormouth keyboard. I'll shut up.

Jerry in Denver
So- Mopar people. I’ve hit that age in life where I am dangerous. I’ve got more money than time. I pick up my smart phone and stare at it looking for something, but feel let down other than conservative tin hat sites (I’m bored with) and well….. here. I’ve got nothing else to kill time. Cars were my hobby but work has taken full focus. Anyone else fell this way. Car projects - well I want them done but the energy is just not there anylonger. Still love my MoPars but not enough to dive in and complete any more.

Im not complaining, I’ve worked hard my whole life, I have money left over in small quantities and feel like I’m buying stuff just to buy. Big ticket items are out of the question- I’m not buying a new truck for what feels like 30%-40% more than it is worth when my current truck is a garage queen. I think I’m bored. Kids all grown up, don’t need Dad anymore, holidays suck, and going out with old friends just mean re telling the same stories I’ve told 100 times before. The wife is kinda the same way but she became an EMT for the local FD. She holds a full time job as an executive with a major corporation. I grant you I am blessed. Everyday I thank my lucky stars but I’m bored. Anyone else feel this way?

Boredom? No. I've got too much to do. I'm working M-W this coming week and that's it. I'll be more fully retired. First SS check comes next month, but I'll still be open to occasional work, just won't "need" it. I'm 62, have 3 cars to finish along with one garage. We have travel plans in the fairly near future. I have pictures to scan, videos to capture/edit. Starting physical therapy for some nagging pains. Life is still fun after all these years.

I do understand since for the most part, my boat is similar. Not the same. But the issue still exists. For me, the energy is low, I don’t get things done fast anymore and getting in the garage is most often, last on the list.

Hey there,
I'm with you on this. I have the money to do what I want along with a few unfinished project cars out back. I never had kids so I'm not obliged with legacy expenses like college, helping them buy a house, bail, etc....
I do have energy though. I have good health. I don't smoke, rarely drink and don't use drugs. I'm not an Olympic athlete but I am in decent shape for a man in his 50s.
Being in decent physical shape is an important thing. Just like how a car performs better with less weight, so do we. A 36 inch waist on a 5'9 frame makes a person about 210 lbs and that is starting to be unhealthy. I looked up the recommended weight for a man that is 5'10 with a medium frame and was shocked to see that it suggested 163 lbs. I was at 200 in 2006 and looked like this:

View attachment 1715839150

I lost 29 lbs and looked like this:

View attachment 1715839151

I felt better, I could move and climb better, I was faster and had more energy.
I was still 8 lbs over what was considered "ideal" but this is where I stopped my weight loss. I started the construction of my shop which was followed by several car builds. I have gained the weight back but do know that getting back to the 170 number is still possible.
I have found that for me, sometimes all I need is either to have the motivation OR the energy. If my mind is ready, it often encourages my tired body to get going. If I have energy, it moves my body until the mind gets on board. If you are tired AND unmotivated, that makes it much harder to get things done.
Good luck!

What some guys won t do just to post a shirtless picture of themselves.
:poke::rofl::rofl::rofl::poke:

@Syleng1 Damn you are only 51 !
The average man in the US lives till 82.
So you have as many years ahead of you as you have had since you were 18 . You need to think like an 18 year old . Ha!

Yes only 51 but the stories I can tell you. Lol! Seriously life is really boring right now- no adventure. No fun and all work. Been a worker since I was a kid. Always jealous of others who had more. Now I’m worn out but still have all my own hair and it’s like 80% all original color so maybe I will be come a model. TV (I’ve given up a few years ago) is allways looking for handsome type. Hahahahaha

Exercise is possibly the key. I drive a lot for work so too many miles sitting. I’m very lucky to still have a decent body.

One of those motivational speaker types said that you will be the most successful by meeting other peoples needs. I suspect you did a lot of that when you had a young family. Now that that is behind you, You may need another mission in your life larger than yourself. Hobbies may be good depending on your personality type, but that doesn’t work for everyone.

Maybe you need to find a way to contribute to something you consider worthwhile. Plenty of charities, little leagues, needy families.

One of those motivational speaker types said that you will be the most successful by meeting other peoples needs. I suspect you did a lot of that when you had a young family. Now that that is behind you, You may need another mission in your life larger than yourself. Hobbies may be good depending on your personality type, but that doesn’t work for everyone.

Maybe you need to find a way to contribute to something you consider worthwhile. Plenty of charities, little leagues, needy families.
I miss the days of coaching and scout leader. Maybe a hand at that- much easier when your kids are not part of the team.

Try laying carpet for 20 years sometime...I'm only 43 and I have set my fingers in the morning and after work or they don't bend. I go back n forth from time with no money ...to money with no time.lol

-
Back