$50 Craigslist 360 EXTREME budget rebuild??

-
Well I don't let things go very easily so I'll be clouning you guys endlessly when this thing purse like a kitten, or not.
Anyways, going at it full bore tomorrow. I'll goop the intake manifold on, the fuel pump, and water neck. I'll gut an old thermostat. I have to string it up to finish cleaning the back of the motor and install the two freeze plugs. Maybe get alternator brackets sorted, water pump finally gooped on. Get an idea of how the pulleys will (or will not) line up? Hopefully I can get some primer on it?

Last edited:
I would NEVER replace the freeze plugs. I bet you could put it in your car and never have one of them leak. Why would you ever take the time, and money. They didn't leak for 35,*** miles, why would they start now?
I say "bah ha ha ha" to it, and leave those freeze plugs alone. And a year later, if they haven't started leaking, you could give a shout out "hey, I didn't replace them and nothing happened" :D
:thumbsup:

Still think he needs some......

zinc.jpg

Oddly enough the freeze plugs where shot? The water galleys where full of crap, and the previous owner complained of overheating. That was a must do.

I would NEVER replace the freeze plugs. I bet you could put it in your car and never have one of them leak. Why would you ever take the time, and money. They didn't leak for 35,*** miles, why would they start now?
I say "bah ha ha ha" to it, and leave those freeze plugs alone. And a year later, if they haven't started leaking, you could give a shout out "hey, I didn't replace them and nothing happened" :D
:thumbsup:

Meanwhile back on Earth; might have to work tomorrow so progress will likely suffer, but I'll try to get something done.
edit: when I work then I make money I can't spend on the motor
:BangHead: damn budget build!!

Oddly enough the freeze plugs where shot? The water galleys where full of crap, and the previous owner complained of overheating. That was a must do.
and didn't you mention a loose rocker????? wink wink

loose rocker?? cam lobe already giving up...lol
Look, I want the best for his project, and I wish him the best of luck with his build. He has factory springs, and a small cam. Decent chance it will work out for him, and I hope it does. I'd get no joy of hearing him wiping out a lobe. I'd rather him poke at everyone and say "see, still purring" .... than to have him loose a lobe. J par's a great guy (at least on this site :) ).
If he doesn't see the sense in a 8 dollar bottle, then he don't (and won't) have to spend it. If it bites him, it's his nickels.
As we know, Zinc isn't an opinion, it's a scientific fact. It was in the oil, and greatly reduced because of it's effect on catalytic converters, and the fact cars were going to roller cams. There has been a ton of threads already about zinc,
so..... I say let's get back to the build :D

Ya someone build this thing I wanna lay on the couch and eat cookies !

Look, I want the best for his project, and I wish him the best of luck with his build. He has factory springs, and a small cam. Decent chance it will work out for him, and I hope it does. I'd get no joy of hearing him wiping out a lobe. I'd rather him poke at everyone and say "see, still purring" .... than to have him loose a lobe. J par's a great guy (at least on this site :) ).
If he doesn't see the sense in a 8 dollar bottle, then he don't (and won't) have to spend it. If it bites him, it's his nickels.
As we know, Zinc isn't an opinion, it's a scientific fact. It was in the oil, and greatly reduced because of it's effect on catalytic converters, and the fact cars were going to roller cams. There has been a ton of threads already about zinc,

ant wanting to see no bad outcome to his build as all my automotive endevers are always way under budgeted,..to me its worth the 8 bucks versus price of replacing a flat cam! maybe i studied oil to much in diesel collage where injector pressure on a cam can be as high as 350+ ftlbs and cams start in the 1000 buck range. but in no way hoping a cam failure on any one,hope the lil teen motor dose well!

I never thought you wanted the motor to blow. Like I tell people - "if I didn't care, I wouldn't say nothin". I think 318willrun is just trying to keep this thread on point. At this point we've both made your points so it is becoming pointless to point out or points to each other.
so I'll make my point clear and one last time and then you may have the very last word and we can move on??
Absolutely every time I think about this "budget build" it's $5 here $10 there ect.....I've played this internet game for a while and a couple of years ago I would have ran to the store to buy zinc. I really stressed over everything when I (for me) spent big $$$ on my stroker build. I'm not stressing over this $50 Craigslist extreme budget - kinda the point!?
The stroker has solid lifters,high spring pressure, and a custom 600+ lift cam and yes lots of zinc always. On the other hand - A 318 with 35000 miles on a rebuild with a very mild 450 lift cam and lifters (with 35000 miles to gather) stock springs, hydraulic lifters. There's absolutely no way you're going to get my mind to move around the fact that this motor was running just fine (I have the video) 3 days before I bought it a little over a month ago and now I took it apart and payed meticulous attention to making sure that everything went back exactly as it was taken apart and completely cleaned and slathered with assembly lube and now after 35000 miles to gather there going to let go ?? I call - BULL CRAP!!
now after the next and hopefully last reply to the subject we can move on to blowing this thing up the right way - with to much RPM's !!

ant wanting to see no bad outcome to his build as all my automotive endevers are always way under budgeted,..to me its worth the 8 bucks versus price of replacing a flat cam! maybe i studied oil to much in diesel collage where injector pressure on a cam can be as high as 350+ ftlbs and cams start in the 1000 buck range. but in no way hoping a cam failure on any one,hope the lil teen motor dose well!

Last edited:
NOPE! won't happen..............The valve will float before you can over rev it. Factory rev limiter:poke::D

Do you think I ought to put zinc on the fuel pump cam? I don't want to wear that out and have low fuel pressure! LOL

Do you think I ought to put zinc on the fuel pump cam? I don't want to wear that out and have low fuel pressure! LOL
KY jelly works wonders to make things slippery. lol

Nope! just need to blow your budget on that nice teflon coated excentre that mother Mopar sells!!!
3500 miles on the fuel pump arm...........Better replace that as well. :lol:

Oh the fuel pump is off the last 318 I blew up! It already knows what it's doing...:thankyou:

Nope! just need to blow your budget on that nice teflon coated excentre that mother Mopar sells!!!
3500 miles on the fuel pump arm...........Better replace that as well. :lol:

-
Back