$50 Craigslist 360 EXTREME budget rebuild??

-
I'll say it again (sorry to drag this on, J par): There is a level of contact pressure the requires certain levels of ZDDP to survive, and lower pressures require less ZDDP to survive. The whole reason is explained in this research paper summary; higher stress exerted on the surfaces requires more ZDDP to form an adequate stess-spreading layer.
Penn and ExxonMobil Researchers Address Long-standing Mysteries Behind Anti-wear Motor Oil Additive

Additionally, the 'pre-ZDDP' era cams and lifters with the older light springs and low lifts and mild cam ramps (50's and earlier) survived just fine with little to no ZDDP, and there are plenty of 60's-70's-80's era engines with stock stuff out there still running around. The ZDDP levels in the lighter weight oils are still greater than 50% of the ZDDP levels that there were before the recent EPA mandated reductions so it is not like there will be NO ZDDP in the oil used.

J Par has this in as good a perspective as anyone can at our level, IMHO. Whether he is above or below the level of ZDDP needed for his engine's lower lifter-to-cam pressure is TBD; let the man find out. If a lobe goes, there are other possible reasons, so even if that happens, anyone who jumps up with the "I told you so" reply is just guessing. I am hoping that it is alright just as a data point of the ZDDP levels needed so everyone can add that into their experience. J Par, if you wouldn't mind keeping track of the oils used, then that would be good data to have.

Too much ZDDP has been documented to cause its own set of problems ('micro-pitting' per the research... whatever that is!) so just dumping additives in is not a cure-all either.

theres alot more missing from todays oil than ZDDP but the SAE dont release all that info from the labs! lucas oil has a blend of oil just for old flat tappit muscle cars but what do thay know? id suggest having a oil annalist done after a few oil changes, see whats in ya oil far as metal particals go,..how much bearing particals,cam n lifter or what ever at a parts per million level would give you a heads up on whats wearing and whats not but that koolaid's outta your budget to...anyways, happy motoring

to make a oil analysing really work you need to send in a unused sample for them to set up there standard then send in a sample after X amount of time.
If you're dedicated to this then it might be worth the money.....most of us just change are oil sooner than we are supposed too.

to make a oil analysing really work you need to send in a unused sample for them to set up there standard then send in a sample after X amount of time.
If you're dedicated to this then it might be worth the money.....most of us just change are oil sooner than we are supposed too.
most oil labs have samples of the majority of oils on the market! most big fleets sample 10% the fleet on a 30 day intervals and alot run there oils 50,000 miles or more with a filter change every 15 to 18,000 miles especially in the 60 series detroit motors, detriot probably has done the most oil study's than any body and only oil thay allow under warrentys is mobile1 delvac because of its ash content, but these detriots are all roller cam and roller rockers,..can debate oils till cows come home and never get experts to agree whats best...damn sure ant gonna agree on a web site ether...

No I know you guys have really went Bonkers or sending oil samples to labs 4 test for $50 Craigslist 318 have we all gone completely insane!

No I know you guys have really went Bonkers or sending oil samples to labs 4 test for $50 Craigslist 318 have we all gone completely insane!
no,..thats WAY over your budget and is for engines thats ment to have some sorta life expectancy...

Well anyways men have a real dilemma back here on planet Earth if you could if I could bend your ear for a minute? So I'm taking a picture of how I have this mocked. I did go with an old harmonic balancer that I don't like and I've already torqued that on, but I just bolted the pulleys on the water pump and fuel pump and intake manifold. I just set it on there and the hoses and I just kind of curious about the hoses if I just went like the style that I have them plugged in obviously that thinner hose would be a lot shorter and of all the freaking brackets that I have I don't have the correct triangle one for the alternator :BangHead: I even have two different versions of the bottom one and I believe the one that I mocked on there seems to be a little bit more sturdier with its extra bracket but alas I don't know if that'll work either? So I'm trying to get this intake manifold on so I can get things all done for painting. I want to have the hoses on and everything so I can paint those too...
20170422_130529.jpg
20170422_130553.jpg

Well I'll go ahead and goop the intake manifold on why you guys make up my mind. I could use some help on that water Plumbing. I'm not sure really the direction everything should flow or if it should just be plugged up? I know I'm going to use a gutted thermostat and this is a high-volume water pump. whatever that's worth in the car is mostly drag racing but a little Street time for fun

Crap! I forgot which way do intake manifold gaskets go rats! I guess I'll have to believe whatever they tell me on the internet double rats!

Well I Googled which way the gasket goes and it came up on a Chevy Forum so now I know everything's going to be messed up thanks a lot guys

If it has to do with the block water passage it goes to the front.

EDIT sorry thinking about the head gasket.

use the braket that lines up alt with pulleys,..plug it less ya need a heater,...gaskets go on way thay line up with holes, shouldnt be to hard to figure out!

The head gasket is J par proof. The intake manifold gasket I put facing the manifold (was what I was talking about) gask-a-sinch and right stuff. wife said she'll help tomorrow, and it will be well received. I'd like to have this thing in primer tomorrow.

A quick recap: I'm still technically at $300. Everything else so far I had or was given to me. BUT - cleaning products, lubricants, and a few small tools and parts have been a extreme drain on any spare moneys I've had in the last month. Soooo much time involved in cleaning. When working with all old parts this may have been the first time they have been cleaned since they left the factory!
If I would have had any budget to begin with- from what I've learned so far it would have been to pay to have all the parts cleaned!!! I don't mind a little clean up but this is not necessarily necessary. Actually at this point I'm not absolutely sure I even saved money, just that I was able to spread the expense over time.
I'll be very happy to have primer on it tomorrow.

A quick recap: I'm still technically at $300. Everything else so far I had or was given to me. BUT - cleaning products, lubricants, and a few small tools and parts have been a extreme drain on any spare moneys I've had in the last month. Soooo much time involved in cleaning. When working with all old parts this may have been the first time they have been cleaned since they left the factory!
If I would have had any budget to begin with- from what I've learned so far it would have been to pay to have all the parts cleaned!!! I don't mind a little clean up but this is not necessarily necessary. Actually at this point I'm not absolutely sure I even saved money, just that I was able to spread the expense over time.
I'll be very happy to have primer on it tomorrow.

I have friend who is about as bonkers as you. Since I've known him since 1965, I can deal with his quirks.

Anyhow, his first car was a 67 Mustang and in 1989 when he got out of the Army I went through his engine for him. I begged his dumb *** to let me hot tank all the small parts, bolts etc. he just wouldn't do it. One day, I stopped by his house and his dumb *** was sitting in the back yard, under a big tree on a big sheet. He had all the crap laid out and had a tub of solvent, several tooth brushes and there he was, hand cleaning all that crap. I said, dude! We can run all that crap trough the tank and it'll be clean every whit. No sweat.

Fat chance. He sat there for I don't know how long and cleaned all that crap by hand.

It is possible you and my friend are cousins.

Quite the opposite! Like I just said lessons learned...

I have friend who is about as bonkers as you. Since I've known him since 1965, I can deal with his quirks.

Anyhow, his first car was a 67 Mustang and in 1989 when he got out of the Army I went through his engine for him. I begged his dumb *** to let me hot tank all the small parts, bolts etc. he just wouldn't do it. One day, I stopped by his house and his dumb *** was sitting in the back yard, under a big tree on a big sheet. He had all the crap laid out and had a tub of solvent, several tooth brushes and there he was, hand cleaning all that crap. I said, dude! We can run all that crap trough the tank and it'll be clean every whit. No sweat.

Fat chance. He sat there for I don't know how long and cleaned all that crap by hand.

It is possible you and my friend are cousins.

Was going to paint water pump but wife cought me at theast minute and said she wants to polish it- ok? It was sold and previously used as a polished piece so what the heck. It's finally in primer and off the motor stand. We'll be ordering the final color and an alternator this week.
20170423_161507.jpg
20170423_165631.jpg

What the hell color are you ordering?

There is only one engine color. BLACK.

I do know a guy who made his name with Chrysler blue everything. I gave him black engine paint and he gave it back and made me paint it myself. And I did. I detest Chrysler blue.

And BTW...CHICANE!

I just love that word.

What the hell color are you ordering?

There is only one engine color. BLACK.

I do know a guy who made his name with Chrysler blue everything. I gave him black engine paint and he gave it back and made me paint it myself. And I did. I detest Chrysler blue.

And BTW...CHICANE!

I just love that word.
VHT SP756 BABY!!!

Polished water pump, chrome valve covers, chrome alternator brackets, air cleaner?, black pulleys and hoses. Red summit wires on newer stock distributor. All my old crap...

You can't spend 20 bucks on primer/paint that has no function on this budget build , and not spend 8 bucks on zinc which has a function.....
:drama:

Your right, I can't spend $20 on paint. I'll end up spending $40 in paint and no zinc.

-
Back