65 Barracuda headers

-

MonkeyTrev

Reaction score
I am just about done with a 360 that is going into my 65 Barracuda. I’m looking for headers now. Hedman has some block huggers that I’m guessing is my best bet, but they say for 67-74 Barracuda. Is the 65 engine compartment much different than a 67? This is the part number for hedman 78500. Would these still work?

I am just about done with a 360 that is going into my 65 Barracuda. I’m looking for headers now. Hedman has some block huggers that I’m guessing is my best bet, but they say for 67-74 Barracuda. Is the 65 engine compartment much different than a 67? This is the part number for hedman 78500. Would these still work?
No, 64-66 only.

You need TTI headers if you don’t want to cut the Inner fenders and run fenderwell headers.

Headers for early "A" bodies are limited.........as already mentioned there are TTi's, there is also Doug's "D"-Dart headers, and there are shorty Tri Y's from Laysons......none of these are cheep. I have a set of "D"-Dart headers, I like them, they work well.

What ever you do, good luck.

I have Doug's and they fit very good on my 65 Cuda! No matter which brand you choose there gonna be tight!

When i checked, the hedmanns i got (used) would fit. Checked the summit site and came up with the same number as what i have. Otherwise i wouldna painted em.

I was going to go with stock manifolds, but my buddy keeps insisting i need headers.

What brand would I look into to run fenderwell headers ?
Hooker
I think they have 2 choices for the early As.
A) One style sends all 4 pipes thru the apron to the outside of the frame, and you need skinny tall frontrunners so you can steer.
B) The other one sends 1 or 2 pipes down inside the frame and the rest to the outside. This is the one I would get if I ever again get a 65 longroof. I ran the A- style, the first time.They were for drag-racing but they were the only choice in 1975,lol.
BTW, I agree with your friend, a 360 needs headers.......unless you are running a teensey- weensey cam in it. But as soon as your cam starts to have some overlap on it, like even 30 degrees, headers will exploit that and give you a bit of hp boost. The more overlap, the bigger the boost. Whatever you do, don't choke that 360 with a tiny exhaust system. And a torque strap should be mandatory. You can build one, or Schumacher can do it for you.

Last edited:
Hooker
I think they have 2 choices for the early As.
A) One style sends all 4 pipes thru the apron to the outside of the frame, and you need skinny tall frontrunners so you can steer.
B) The other one sends 1 or 2 pipes down inside the frame and the rest to the outside. This is the one I would get if I ever again get a 65 longroof. I ran the A- style, the first time.They were for drag-racing but they were the only choice in 1975,lol.
Hooker says that the fenderwell headers are for 273-340 would they be just fine on the 360? The engine isn't anything insane, Im hoping for 350-400hp. Hooker 5208HKR Hooker Super Competition Full Length Fenderwell Exit Header - Painted

Hooker says that the fenderwell headers are for 273-340 would they be just fine on the 360? The engine isn't anything insane, Im hoping for 350-400hp. Hooker 5208HKR Hooker Super Competition Full Length Fenderwell Exit Header - Painted
yeah those look like the ones I remember, 2 pipes on the inside and two pipes on the outside
340/360 have same head configuration and port size

I'm glad you're hoping. Those light A's don't need much hp, and it don't take much effort to hit your target. I hope you got modern brakes , cuz you're gonna need 'em

Last edited:
Crappy picture but
You can imagine where the frame goes on these. On the right side,only two pipes appear to be going sideways, while the other two are going down. While on the driver's side it appears that only one pipe is on the inboard side of the frame.

5208hkr.jpg

The other kind has all 4 pipes going sideways from the head,into the back corner, and then thru the apron, and it kindof looks like a spider after they are installed

Last edited:
Remember when you run fenderwell you also limit your front tire size and turning radius.

5208's are pretty small but are equal length. I had them on a STR-12'd 340 with a pretty mellow 284/.484 MP cam. They were very well engineered, didnt hit a thing but came super close in like 10 places....mine were drilled too low so the port floor kept leaking and was driving me crazy. Hooker/Mr Gasket told me to produce the receipt..on a lifetime workmanship warranty? I sent them the burned gasket and still no dice. For the price, you still have to cut the inner fenderwells pretty good and the front tires will rub at full lock unless you run some skinnies, will be worse with drums. Manifolds are not that bad: for $400 you can get some early 340 logs that flow pretty well and you can keep your inners and your bank balance. Remember this car is ~3000 lbs and that doesn't take big block power to run with the big dogs. Hedman used to make a 2" W2 flange for this combo. I wrapped mine as it was getting HOT under there, lots of surface area! The wrap mellowed out the sound too and totally cured the heat issues.
VF5Xj1ZAU5dQC13jwj4JOavU12cUUgmLg_TBQnB8lSucz46rlSEqbO-PbGvyzXuNxwRuCmVIX9PWJGPLYA=w640-h480-rw-no

-
Back