66 Dart Owners thread

-
Going to shoot for a 64 Dart Headlight bezel, gonna send him pictures this weekend with as many measurements as I can & if he needs seed $$ to make a rough cast for potentials buyers to view I guess we will go from there.

If Folks email him with similar interest he will be major motivated & who knows maybe 65 & 66 bezels some day. Im going give it a shot anyway

Going to shoot for a 64 Dart Headlight bezel, gonna send him pictures this weekend with as many measurements as I can & if he needs seed $$ to make a rough cast for potentials buyers to view I guess we will go from there.

If Folks email him with similar interest he will be major motivated & who knows maybe 65 & 66 bezels some day. Im going give it a shot anyway
im interested in a 66 bezel

Cast in aluminum?

Unfortunately no. My limited understanding of 3D printing on what Lucian creates is done with a liquid polymer which hardens over time. So the ring would be plastic, easily painted & drilled for mounting screws. Ill know more once he gets my pictures & will share as I get feedback from him. Obviously stamped steel/cast aluminum would be the best, I know everybody's pain trying to find something to finish up the front end, & this would be hopefully better then nothing.

Flip side, since I live in Renton, Home of Boeing Aerospace & there are a few CNC shops around the area, so....... who knows where this might go. Im willing to go out on a limb & see what can be done in plastic 1st, but that doesnt mean what he makes cant be used as a template for sand casting, which brings me to another question.

Anybody have any experience in sand casting?

These Guys are a few mins from me, left them a message, going to check out aluminum casting costs, using 1 of my bezels as a template. https://www.hcwassoc.com/

Last edited:
Well that puts a 3D printing solution to bed. :( Lucian says the bezel is too thin for 3D, so its a metal casting.... I have an email in to a Welding shop that does sand casting.... will wait for their response

Well that puts a 3D printing solution to bed. :( Lucian says the bezel is too thin for 3D, so its a metal casting.... I have an email in to a Welding shop that does sand casting.... will wait for their response
Probably too thin for sand cast as well. They need to be stamped aluminum. Now days they would probably be fashioned on a cnc machine.

Just some thoughts...
Maybe use one of those laser scanners to get a CAD model then have a 5 axis CNC machine make a two part "mold" out of something hard like stainless.

Use the CAD model to back engineer a flat that gets all of the holes pressed out first then use your mold in a home shop press. Thoughts?

Just some thoughts...
Maybe use one of those laser scanners to get a CAD model then have a 5 axis CNC machine make a two part "mold" out of something hard like stainless.

Use the CAD model to back engineer a flat that gets all of the holes pressed out first then use your mold in a home shop press. Thoughts?
I talked to my neighbor who owned a pattern and mold shop. The dies cost thousands to produce. You need a left and right and if done right, trim dies to get closer to a finish product. Just to produce the forming dies might be $10,000 each. Overseas would be the best bet. (I would hate to go there) It might pencil out in the long run (100 bezels X $100 each would pay for a forming die)

I talked to my neighbor who owned a pattern and mold shop. The dies cost thousands to produce. You need a left and right and if done right, trim dies to get closer to a finish product. Just to produce the forming dies might be $10,000 each. Overseas would be the best bet. (I would hate to go there) It might pencil out in the long run (100 bezels X $100 each would pay for a forming die)
That does sound more approachable when you consider the math (100 at $100 a piece) but the hard part is the initial investment.... I wish I was in a better position to consider being an investor in this. I wonder if one of the vendors would be interested in footing the bill in lieu of doing the legwork?

Here is mine. Looking forward to learning more here. Dang grilles are a unicorn. At least restorable one. Still looking.

443A0BAF-821A-46E0-87A6-C4F0A42F6AE7.jpeg

395969FE-6DAE-430A-8FC4-6AE8B55D89E0.jpeg

Hey guys. Have any of you with 66 Darts removed or shaved the 'peak' trim that runs along the top of the quarter panels? If so, can you post up a photo? I'm curious what it would look like. Thanks!

Hey guys. Have any of you with 66 Darts removed or shaved the 'peak' trim that runs along the top of the quarter panels? If so, can you post up a photo? I'm curious what it would look like. Thanks!
These are the pieces that I'm referring to. Has anyone eliminated these. That's the plan with mine, but I'm interested in seeing if others have done it.

1682556783523.png

That does sound more approachable when you consider the math (100 at $100 a piece) but the hard part is the initial investment.... I wish I was in a better position to consider being an investor in this. I wonder if one of the vendors would be interested in footing the bill in lieu of doing the legwork?
Sadly I dont think the #'s just arent there to make it feasible. Talked to some Mopar gearheads recently @ a meet today, 1st thing both of them looked @ when checking out my car was the headlight rims. :D:D:D 1 of them told me there is somebody out there who makes them but we r talking $700-800 pr. :eek::eek:

Henderson machining??? Ill try to get better info next time I see him.

I was racing yesterday, and I talked to a guy with a 1966 Dart. It had a nice grille and headlight bezels. I don't know why, but I asked him if he had a spare left headlight bezel in decent shape. He said yes that he had both bezels and a nice grille. Later I asked him if he had the left front fender molding and he said that he all of the trim from a 66 that he had removed, in a box. I asked him if he would sell me everything and he said yes. I don't need much more than the left headlight bezel and the left front fender molding. I will see what I have, and I will list here first. He said that he has the molding around the doors also. It's a two door by the way.

I was racing yesterday, and I talked to a guy with a 1966 Dart. It had a nice grille and headlight bezels. I don't know why, but I asked him if he had a spare left headlight bezel in decent shape. He said yes that he had both bezels and a nice grille. Later I asked him if he had the left front fender molding and he said that he all of the trim from a 66 that he had removed, in a box. I asked him if he would sell me everything and he said yes. I don't need much more than the left headlight bezel and the left front fender molding. I will see what I have, and I will list here first. He said that he has the molding around the doors also. It's a two door by the way.
How much would you need for the Right side headlight bezel

-
Back