66 Formula S project

-
I fabbed up a pair of stiffening braces for the LCA's. In the foreground of first photo you can see the stock I used to make the brace. One down, one to go!!

lca before mod.jpg

lca mock up.jpg

lca brace welded in.jpg

looking good,,,,you may want to gusset the sway bar brackets on the k frame, they take a lot of twisting,,

It's been a busy summer, unfortunately not with my project. I did manage to get a little bit done though. Got the k frame fixed and painted, got the lca's painted and got a good start on some rust repair on the deck lid. I had the deck lid off, made a repair, got it put back on only to find it was way out of whack. I wasn't happy with it so I cut it all out and made a new patch with the deck lid on the car. Here it is in the rough, not great, but much better than before. I hope to get more done this summer. We'll see.

k frame and lca's.jpg

deck lid inner structure 1.jpg

deck lid outer repair.jpg

That is a nice restoration you are doing. What engine are you gonna be using for it? Good luck and keep the pictures coming.

Thanks for the compliment fstfish66. The engine/trans will be mild performance 318/4spd. to answer 65dartcharger's question. Uli, I'm running part throttle at best, but will be trying for full steam ahead!!8) Thanks for the interest in my project brothers and sisters. Happy motoring, Drew.

Like they say, life is what happens while you're making other plans. Work has been pretty slow on this project due to life getting in the way. Updates will probably be somewhat few and far between, but here are a few for now. I spent some time the other day shooting some primer and blasting a few parts.

View attachment inner trim.jpg

View attachment valance.jpg

View attachment splash shields.jpg

View attachment RH inner fender.jpg

View attachment LH inner fender.jpg

View attachment Cuda front angle.jpg

I like the clean look of the dash sans pad so I welded over the holes. Here it is in primer. I still have a little smoothing up to do but it will look decent when finished.

Attachments

• dash 13.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 338
  • dash 6.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 327
  • dash.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 313
The hood had some stress cracks where the hinge meets it. Not anymore.:toothy8:

Attachments

• hood crack 004.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 290
  • hood crack 008.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 306
  • hood crack 009.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 328
  • hood repair 001.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 314
  • hood repair 006.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 333
  • hood repair 1.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 299
  • hood repair 2.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 278
No progress taken place for a while. Hopefully in the spring I can at least get a few more things done. As far as the body work goes, I need to replace/fabricate the lower driver's side rear quarter and go through the whole thing and block it all out. All I really need is the time to get out in the shop and get at it. I lost a good paying job back in '09 due to the tanked economy so funds are scarce and free time is all but non-existant at this point. On the up side, I still have enough work to be able to keep everything, just no time to work on my projects. I'm back in school taking some gen-eds and studying music theory. I'll post updates on the 'Cuda when I get more work done. Don't look for them anytime soon though. Thanks for the support guys, your posts and projects have all been very inspirational in the progress I've made on mine. Keep your stick on the ice.:burnout:

Last edited:
WOW! I guess it's past due time to dust the cobwebs off this thread! I have gotten out to the shop a few times over the past couple months. Here's what's on deck... I sourced the quarter panel section I needed from another FABO member, repaired a little bit of rust on the bottom, redid the wheel lip, and fixed the trunk extension. It all fits! I have it all clamped up for now, I just have a little more trimming and fitting to do before I weld it all up. That MAY happen this year!

cut out.jpg

quarter extension mock up.jpg

quarter mock up.jpg

rear shot.jpg

Here are some shots of the quarter section. I also had to make sure the wheel lip was right so the trim would fit.

quarter rust 1.jpg

cut out 1.jpg

patches clamped 1.jpg

test wheel lip.jpg

A few shots of the trunk extension. Some of these are not updated up to the minute, but you get the idea. If I keep at it, I may have a car built in my lifetime! If the women don't find you handsome, they'll at least find you handy!

ext rust 1.jpg

ext rust 2.jpg

new metal 1.jpg

weld 1.jpg

ext ground weld.jpg

Can you tell me what tools you are using to Form these parts, i,m a n Auto Painter in Oz and have SOME panel knowledge but wouold like some tips for my Dart, looks like i,m gunna buy a body Shop in the country so im gunna have to learn everything i spose, any tips or pics would be greatly appreciated, looks like u do pretty nice work and i work at a Mercedes shop :)
thx mate
From Australia!:usflag:

So here we are about a year later. Got the quarter sectioned in and welded. I still have some metal finishing to do here and a few small pin-holes to weld shut. Next up will be epoxy primer and a skim coat of filler. I can tell the filler will be very minimal by the way the metal finishing is smoothing out. And my wheel trim fits!!

quarter clamped 1.jpg

welded 1.jpg

trim fit 3.jpg

trim fit 2.jpg

-
Back