66 hipo dart info

-
That is probably the nastiest looking motor I've seen in a while.. Looks like chocolate cake grease all over it. I would be all over that car if it was a 4 speed.

Definitely a Hypo car. It could have been ordered without the 8 3/4 rear and the 10" brakes. A common practice with a automatic. Cheap price and it looks like everything is there and fairly straight. Intirely up to you but I would go for it. tmm

Actually they came standard with the 7 1/4 on the auto cars. Even some of the 4 speed cars slipped through with the smaller rear. Most of those cars were recalled for warrenty in that people with 4 speed cars were breaking them. I have the warrenty letter tucked away here somewhere. i'll post it when I find it.

Sure... Paint materials $2,000, labor $3-5,000 (assumes no hidden rust). New interior $1,000 (DIY), or at least front seats & carpet $500. All new rubber $400 (DIY), new tires & rims because it's 13 inch $400-$600, suspension rebuild $500(DIY). Engine detail/paint/reseal & tuneup (no rebuild) $300 (DIY). Chrome bumpers & emblems $500-1000

If you can get the paint done cheaper or do it yourself you will save a lot of money.

This assumes engine & transmission and rear end are basically solid. If the engine is toast budget more for a rebuild.

I would buy it, I love Darts. But I would just make sure you go into it with your eyes open. I see cars for sale every day that are half-done, the guy sunk $6000 into it and it still looks like crap, or worse is not running. People that say you can do it cheaper are not thinking of the cosmetics, or are assuming DIY painting which is not always practical (Isocyanates can kill you).
Others are more knowledgeable than I, but $10K to be presentable...really? Of course, depending on your definition of "presentable"...

ATB

BC

I've heard there are low/no-isocyanate clears on the market now (I haven't researched much yet myself), which was the last piece of the puzzle to painting at home without deadly isos.

I love this car too. If I were looking for another project, this one would be tough to pass up. However the advice is good to be careful of not going upside-down on it unless it's a labor of love. But then, isn't that almost always the case?

I'm thinking that with a bit (ok a lot) of buffing this could be a "survivor", or at least a car with original paint. Add some front seat covers and the rest is just a lot of mechanical work (ok a ton). Remember when done it'll just be a $4000 car but a really cool one.

Yes there are some good reasons not to get this car and you know it is going to be more work tan you think, but there are a lot of good reasons to get it.

Also, if you don't want this car I'm sure someone on this site would love to get it.

Offer her a grand. You could part it out and probably make a few bucks on it if you wanted to. If you are a capable mechanic and arent afraid to get your hands dirty you could clean that car up and have a unique car for not a lot of money. It looks very unmolested right down to the carter afb. And not all hipo cars including 4 speed cars had 8 3/4's i know that first hand. The lower rear quarters are going to alomst positively have rust. How bad is another story but you can get patch panels. Looks to me like from the pictues although its hard to see, the body appears to be straight. If you do buy it i can guarentee you one thing, there will be no other ones like that at a local or even a slightly bigger show. Good luck man

That's another way to do it. When I was younger (and poorer) I had several '64 Darts that could be optimistically called survivors. You do what you have money and energy for.

It will be fun either way.

Friend of mine bought car tonight, he is excited. The lady who owns all this stuff her husband died and left her over 100 cars, so im getting a almost new 1966 belvedere 4 door poly auto 8 3/4 and also a 68 belvedere slanter 3 speed parts car.

006-7.jpg

005-12.jpg

004-10.jpg

003-7.jpg

002-8.jpg

001-8.jpg

007-7.jpg

It ran, it cost me 10 grand... lol just joking but it did run for a few seconds.

That cleaned up nice! I'd get it running, reliable, and safe, then just detail it a little more and leave it as-is. It's like a totally different car already!

Hey everyone I figured I would throw something out their because I'm not that we'll versed in first generation darts. Is it accurate to assume that 65 and 66 hi po 4 barrel 273 4 speed cars usually came with 8 3/4 and 10" drum unless owner specified different on order form? I though most not all but most 4 speed hi po's came with 8 3/4 and 10" drum unless specified. Am I correct?

Carl

It has the master cylinder extension for KH disk brakes. You said it's got drums on the front?

Also, it has the somewhat rare metal fan shroud. Neat find!

Hey everyone I figured I would throw something out their because I'm not that we'll versed in first generation darts. Is it accurate to assume that 65 and 66 hi po 4 barrel 273 4 speed cars usually came with 8 3/4 and 10" drum unless owner specified different on order form? I though most not all but most 4 speed hi po's came with 8 3/4 and 10" drum unless specified. Am I correct?

Carl

Carl Ithink it's safe to assume that most early A's with the HP 273 were ordered with the 8 3/4 and the 10" brakes.. If you ordered a Dart or Valiant with a HP 273 you didn't automatically get a 8 3/4 and 10" brakes. They had to be ordered that way. My first car was a 65 Dart 270 sedan with a HP273 and a 3 speed on the tree. It had a 7 1/4 rear and 9" brakes. It was a oddball for sure. I don't know whether it was ordered that way on purpose or by mistake. If I get a chance I'll see if I have the order codes for the early A's and post them here. tmm

Carl

Nope it is rare to see these with a factory installed 8 3/4 and not till 66 the 9 inch brake was standard in 64 and 65 I have a factory 65 Commando 4 speed car that the build sheet verifies 9 inch brakes with 7 1/4 and Commando with 4 speed.

Actually they came standard with the 7 1/4 on the auto cars. Even some of the 4 speed cars slipped through with the smaller rear. Most of those cars were recalled for warrenty in that people with 4 speed cars were breaking them. I have the warrenty letter tucked away here somewhere. i'll post it when I find it.

Hey Dart4,

Did you find that warrantee letter? I would love to see it! My 66 Formula S 4-speed came with a 7-1/4. Ther Build Sheet calls out Sure-Grip and it has an open rear... must have been broken/changed. I am in the process of changing it out with an 8-3/4.

Thanks!

Ill post pics of broadcast sheet i found it under seat... i have been lazy and havent looked at front brakes... i hope there 10 it was a guess.

Extension? u mean the lid on the cly? Nope it is a 7 1/4 the 66 belve im getting has a 8 3/4 i guess it should anyway.

And Power Steering on a 1966.

That is an interesting combination with the 273 Commando.

The 273/235 HP engine option was a good deal back then too, something like $90.00

1966 NHRA Class.........G/SA

I thought that when looking at the extension on the master cylinder. That is a rare bird and may have come with the 8 3/4 factory also because of the disc brakes.

The disc brakes having nothing to do with what rear end came in the car. My Barracuda is a factory KH disc car and had a 7 1/4 in it from the factory. The 8 3/4 went in after the 7 1/4 was grenaded (by a previous owner).

I wish Jim Lusk would chime in here. He's very knowledgeable about a-bodies, particularly the early cars. He also happens to be one of the previous owners of my car.

-
Back