66 hipo dart info

-

64val67gtx

64 sl6val 2dr 67 gtx 4spd
Reaction score
I have a chance to buy a 66 dart 2door gt h/t 273 4bbl. the car is automatic with center console, 7 1/4 9' single master cly drum brakes, goldish bronze lighter color int, no vinyl top, car is complete has chrome charger 273 air cleaner, some rust but very little so far that i can see.
It has been sitting nearly 10yrs in a shop, not sure if it runs, im willing to bet it will with brakes, fuel tank, sending unit, rebuild carb. My questions are, is this a hipo car? Vin has a d for engine suffix. it has a 4bbl, it has black and chrome valve covers, it has a v8 raid with shroud. Also is it worth buying? and i know thats a dumb question, but what is it really worth? and if it ran and drove would it be worth my time? Meaning if i buy it my plans are to clean it up and get it running. Thanks

Value and worth of old cars:
If you drive it, it's worth its deductible.

If you collect it, it's worth whatever somebody else will pay you for it.

If it doesn't run, it's worth its weight in scrap.

If it means more to you than this, it has a value that cannot be measured in dollars.

Worth buying? - really worth? - worth my time?

Questions only you can answer! Sounds like a great project! I'm a dart nut, but less fond of the '66 cars.

ATB

BC

Does the car have an 8 3/4 under it?Maybe get the vin# from inside the drivers door and post it up here.Lots of 66 Dart owners here to decode,to see if it,s a true 273/4bbl/8 3/4 car.Sounds like a fun car you can enjoy with minimal work.Good luck.

I really like 66 darts. Especially 273 4 barrel cars. Value varies depending on condition though

Does the car have an 8 3/4 under it?Maybe get the vin# from inside the drivers door and post it up here.Lots of 66 Dart owners here to decode,to see if it,s a true 273/4bbl/8 3/4 car.Sounds like a fun car you can enjoy with minimal work.Good luck.

7 1/4 and its a d on the vin for motor.

7 1/4 and its a d on the vin for motor.

D in the VIN just tells us that the car has a 273 in it. 2 and 4 barrel designation started in 1967. (code D for 2 barrel and E for 4 barrel) The fender tag on the drivers fender will tell whether the car came with a 4 barrel engine. Under the capital letters A and B are 2 numbers. If yours has a 31 you have a 2 barrel car. If you have a 32 you have a 4 barrel car. Now, If you have a 32 and you're lucky enough to have a VIN# that starts with LO23D62 buy the car and I'll be more than happy to pay you an extra $1000 for it sight unseen. That rare combination is a 1966 "D" Dart made for racing. There are few of those around. tmm

9" drum brakes on a factory 4 bbl sounds suspect, but who knows what somebody ordered. It is all about rust. Use a magnet to check for filler at the lower doors and around the wheels. Value probably $1K to $4K, depending on paint and interior and if all chrome is there.

render tag reads
64 6
ABCDE R
32591 1

bdy trm paint
lp23 p4t yyl y

b1706047

lp23d65118918

Car has dual point dist,m 6 blade fan.
008-5.jpg

009-5.jpg

019.jpg
023.jpg

028.jpg
031.jpg
026.jpg

017-1.jpg

She wants 1700 no keys but clean title fuel tank is dry brakes shot motor turns by hand.

Definitely a Hypo car. It could have been ordered without the 8 3/4 rear and the 10" brakes. A common practice with a automatic. Cheap price and it looks like everything is there and fairly straight. Intirely up to you but I would go for it. tmm

That seems like a fair price for both of you. BUT you'll be underwater pretty quickly so it better be something you want to live with. Id get it but it's really up to you to decide as it'll take a lot to get it running condition.

Another 66 Dart in need of headlight bezels. I seriously need to start stamping them out. lol tmm

I see a car that needs $10,000 to be presentable. Are you a body man? That's the key. It's a damn cool car though.

Others are more knowledgeable than I, but $10K to be presentable...really? Of course, depending on your definition of "presentable"...

ATB

BC

Others are more knowledgeable than I, but $10K to be presentable...really? Of course, depending on your definition of "presentable"...

ATB

BC
I agree 10 grand if you have a hard time changing oil. These cars are simple to fix and cheaper to learn on. Take your time hunt for the cheap parts and you can put it together for 7 grand including the purchase price if you want a nice driver and not a full blown restore you are afraid to drive.

I estimate I have less than $10,000 in mine. That doesn't count the treasure trove of extra parts I've collected along the way but I have most of what I need to start with the body and paint. Mine has been a fun driver since I first got it running. Mine was in about the same shape that 64val is looking at. You'd be surprised what some scrubbing would do for that car. Here's a couple shots of what mine looked like and what it looks like now. I'm far from done. lol tmm

Attachments

• randailia dart live007.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 450
  • randalia5.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 442
  • Dike car show 11.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 445
Looks like a great buy to me. My 65 Barracuda is a hipo car and came with a 7 1/4 rear and tiny drums. I guess these were goin' cars and not stopin' cars. Anythings possible.

I think it's a great buy. That can't take too much to get road ready. Just look at TMMs car. Such a nice car and you don't have to empty your wallet too much.

-
Back