67 Dart Post Project

-
Finished up all the wiring!! I can actually start the car from the driver's seat for the first time in 2 years. The electric fans are all wired up too. They turn on at 180 and off at 170. Also installed my new 1 wire alternator. I pretty much have the brake system done also. Just need to find one banjo bolt that I lost and I need the brass T that goes on the rear end. Then I started working on the clutch linkage. I modified the z bar to clear the headers. I ended up moving the down leg 9/16" towards the engine to eliminate any interference. It turns out that the ball stud that was sold to me isn't for an A body. It looks like it's for an early B body. I chopped it up and welded it back together and now it works perfectly. I made my own backing plate for the other ball stud and welded to the frame.

2012-06-10_17-19-26_274.jpg

2012-06-10_17-19-41_186.jpg

2012-06-10_15-32-07_172.jpg

2012-06-10_16-42-54_368.jpg

2012-06-10_17-18-42_716.jpg

2012-06-10_15-19-54_685.jpg

I noticed this weekend that there was a clanking sound when the car was idling. Turns out it is the valve in the Dynomax VT mufflers...:banghead: I called Dynomax and they said the valve shouldn't be open at idle and it was most likely due to the large cam that I'm running. They recommended switching to part number 17957 instead of the 17157 I'm running. Apparently the 17957 has a stiffer spring. At least they are swapping them out for free. I just have to do the labor.....

I finished up the clutch linkage along with the shift rods tonight. The clutch feels great and the trans shift pretty good considering the engine wasn't running. Easily goes into 1-4 gears but reverse takes some effort with the engine off. I also bolted the adapter to the rear of my early A trans. Going to try and make it to the salvage yard this weekend to see if I can find a truck driveshaft that is the right length.

2012-06-11_19-53-12_286.jpg

2012-06-11_19-53-29_31.jpg

2012-06-11_19-53-48_398.jpg

2012-06-11_19-54-16_242.jpg

Nice work as usual. I had to do make new brackets etc for my Z Bar also. The linkage would not clear the TTI Headers just like yours.

I'm not sure if the correct A body bracket would have worked or not. The one I modified originally looked like this. It surprises me how members on here pass off parts as something they are not.

tBSB746.jpg

I'm not sure if the correct A body bracket would have worked or not. The one I modified originally looked like this. It surprises me how members on here pass off parts as something they are not.

tBSB746.jpg

Mine came in the Quicktime Bell Housing kit. It looked just like that one. I even told the guy it was an A Body? I think they have now figured it out. Mine was one of the first ones they sent out.

My new door panels came today!! I figured it would only take an hour or two to install them.... wrong. They are of excellent quality, look great, and are the correct dimensions. Problem is they are at least twice as thick as the originals. No matter how hard a tried I couldn't get them to slide into the under retaining/trim piece. I even stretched the trim piece open as much as I could but it still would only go in about a third of the way. The problem this caused is it moved the panel down about 1/4 inch which made it impossible to get the bottom clips in. I think the panel is stiff enough to be fine without all the clips so I'll call it good. I may add a little velcro along the bottom just to make sure it doesn't move. I also wired up and grounded the fuel sending unit tonight.

2012-06-12_19-49-52_726.jpg

2012-06-12_20-17-45_776.jpg

2012-06-12_17-33-01_353.jpg

Looking good... I would definitely do the velcro thing along the bottom since you cant get the clips in

Spoke with the vendor that made my door panels. He said he would gladly make me a new set but a slight modification should resolve the issue. He wrapped the vinyl over the top of the panel and stapled it to the back side. The factory did not do this so that is most likely the problem. All I should have to do is cut the vinyl at the top edge and remove the staples from the back side. He is also sending me some free clips that he recommends instead of the Mopar ones. They are ford clips.... He said this is the first set he has made for a 67 Post car and will fix his process with my feedback. Overall a great vendor with excellent response time to the issue. Here's a link to the ebay item I bought.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/67-68-69-70-71-Dodge-Dart-door-panels-New?item=270984467764#ht_1100wt_1396

Trimmed the vinyl off of the top of the panels and now they fit perfect. Puts me in a much better mood!! I also buttoned up the brake system tonight. I managed to bleed the front brakes without a problem but have been unable to get the back ones to bleed. I've heard this can be caused by the prop valve. Not a priority now so I will worry about it later.

Spent a few hours at the Ecology lots today. Found a beautiful 68 grille, a V8 gas pedal, dash vents, and headlight trim rings. I also found a set of headliner rods that are in much better shape than mine. Not bad for $90 total. I need to find some bezels for this grille and some new lenses for the signal lights. I also found 2 cars with complete power brake setups if anyone is interested in them. Here's a link to a thread about that.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=194117

2012-06-17_09-51-14_969.jpg

Just browsed the entire thread, I must say the car is turning out awesome. I love the color and dash especially. Keep up the quality work.

My floor shift steering column arrived on Tuesday so I tore it apart for a basic cleaning and rebuild. Stripped the housing and painted it satin black. The rest of the column was in good condition except for the bottom bearing so I ordered a cheap replacement that I read about in a different post. I also stripped the 68 grille that I found this weekend and painted it satin black also. I will be selling the 67 grille that is on the car if anyone is interested. In the picture the grille looks like it has silver stripes but it's just glare off of the ribs. It's completely black.

2012-06-20_16-59-09_795.jpg

2012-06-20_17-55-12_963.jpg

2012-06-20_17-55-20_276.jpg

2012-06-20_17-55-28_291.jpg

2012-06-20_19-31-52_172.jpg

My fiberglass bumpers arrived today. Too bad they sent me 71-74 Charger bumpers instead of the ones I ordered...... They had the correct part number written all over the box but the wrong parts in the box. I better not take 3 weeks to get a replacement set.

Nice work on the Dart. I went through the build thread looking for the wheels and tire specs but may have missed them. They look like the later model Mustang wheels. How do they fit and are you using up the rear mini tub area with them?

They are Mustang wheels. I have a 275 tire on the back right now with a lot of room left. About an inch of clearance to the quarter panel and at least 2 inches to the leaf spring. I plan on going to a 305 series eventually which will require a different wheel.

Time for an update I guess. I bought new turn signal lenses for the 68 grille and installed the grille. I like it way more than the 67 that I had. I also bought the matching bezels from a FABO member and got them painted tonight. Put the passenger side tail light in with it's black bezel. I've yet to find one for the driver's side in good condition. Steering column is reassembled and installed with a new coupling. I got my dash insert back from the powder coater and also got my defective tach back from repair so I reinstalled all that. I modified the throttle cable bracket so it lines up nicely with the 750dp. Tonight was the first time I was able to start the car from the driver's seat with all 3 pedals functional and the dash all working. It's crazy how quickly the 408 fires up. Even when it's cold, one tiny tap of the key and she's alive. There's a video link below for your enjoyment. I set the shift lights at 3500 so I wouldn't have to rev too high to see them work. The exhaust is also off because I'm changing the mufflers. It's quite loud.

[ame="http://s285.photobucket.com/albums/ll69/wartgowj/?action=view&current=2012-06-26_19-44-26_941.mp4"]http://s285.photobucket.com/albums/ll69/wartgowj/?action=view&current=2012-06-26_19-44-26_941.mp4[/ame]

2012-06-25_19-05-43_763.jpg

2012-06-25_19-06-14_527.jpg

2012-06-26_18-23-10_398.jpg

2012-06-26_19-08-29_671.jpg

2012-06-26_19-37-44_699.jpg

Did you have any trouble fitting the 68 bezels and head lights into the 67 fenders?

The 67 headlights are about 1/4" further apart than the 68. Not sure why they would make such an insignificant change from one year to the next. I did get the bezels to fit but the headlights are not centered in the opening. They are tight against the outside edge. It looks good though so I'll leave it for now. If it ends up bothering me then I'll cut the buckets off and move them an 1/8" toward the center of the car.

The 67 headlights are about 1/4" further apart than the 68. Not sure why they would make such an insignificant change from one year to the next. I did get the bezels to fit but the headlights are not centered in the opening. They are tight against the outside edge. It looks good though so I'll leave it for now. If it ends up bothering me then I'll cut the buckets off and move them an 1/8" toward the center of the car.

The change from 68 to 69 is WAY worse .. lol... car looks great dude

this car is outstanding, i love the dash i love the rims, i love the paint. Great job!

Thanks, I can't wait to get it on the road!! Just needs a steering wheel and driveshaft to move under it's own power. Driveshaft should be done early next week and I need to pick and order a steering wheel.

Thanks, I can't wait to get it on the road!! Just needs a steering wheel and driveshaft to move under it's own power. Driveshaft should be done early next week and I need to pick and order a steering wheel.

sweet!! we'll need videos ya know LMAO ... I bet your just itchin to drive it around the lot

-
Back